Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My driver side headlight high beam won’t turn on when turning on brights. Replaced bulbs on both sides and tested every fuse both trunk and hood. Looked at both diagrams to take a look at maybe the relay? But I don’t see that there is even is a relay for the Halogen on the diagram. Any help? Anybody maybe know the relay location or what I could do to troubleshoot the brights not turning on. Dealership is packed for 3 weeks.

·
Registered
883 Posts
My driver side headlight high beam won’t turn on when turning on brights. Replaced bulbs on both sides and tested every fuse both trunk and hood. Looked at both diagrams to take a look at maybe the relay? But I don’t see that there is even is a relay for the Halogen on the diagram. Any help? Anybody maybe know the relay location or what I could do to troubleshoot the brights not turning on. Dealership is packed for 3 weeks.
Have you checked the “shutter” that allows the high beam to go on? I am assuming the low beam stays on when you activate the high beams.

Reactions: Harv

·
Premium Member
11,057 Posts
Any chance the replacement bulb is bad too? How about the wires in the connector aren’t locked in place? Have you tested them for power?

Clint

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you checked the “shutter” that allows the high beam to go on? I am assuming the low beam stays on when you activate the high beams.
When I turn the high beams on the shutter sound is not active on the driver side but on the passenger side the shutter sound can be heard.

Any chance the replacement bulb is bad too? How about the wires in the connector aren’t locked in place? Have you tested them for power?

Clint
There is no shutter sound, I will try to test the wires tommorow and I have bought sets of halogen lights and 1 LED (Currenly installed) still no luck unfortunately.

·
Registered
883 Posts
When I turn the high beams on the shutter sound is not active on the driver side but on the passenger side the shutter sound can be heard.
Sounds like a bad shutter…. Check the wiring to see if that’s the cause of your problem m

·
Premium Member
11,057 Posts
When I put leds in my SV the instructions said if they didn’t light to flip the connector 180 degrees.

Clint

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
32,171 Posts
The halogens do not have a shutter, the bulb is a dual filament bulb. Shutter is for HIDs. Did you say you swapped bulbs from side to side? if so, and issue stayed with same side, it's not the bulb. The BCM (Body Control Module) gets a signal from the module on the steering column, and turns on the high beam driver. If there is a short to ground on the high beam circuit (L33 on diagram) that would explain it, and I believe this would set a DTC. if there is no short, the BCM would be suspect.
Rectangle Slope Font Line Parallel

The KISS would be the bulb, but if you changed them out, unless the new one is also bad, that would have fixed it. I'd first try the new bulb on the good working side, if it works there then it's not a bulb issue

Based on the wiring diagram, I'm not sure if there is a separate ground for the low beam and right beam drivers, but if there is I'd confirm continuity on both grounds

A Guy

·
Registered
484 Posts
2016 - I have halogen single filament lamps, and shutters - I can hear them and see their effect - a line in the light.
What exactly do you mean by "My driver side headlight high beam won’t turn on"?
Does the low beam turn off? Or you see no additional light?

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
11,167 Posts
There is no shutter sound, I will try to test the wires tommorow and I have bought sets of halogen lights and 1 LED (Currenly installed) still no luck unfortunately.
Take a test light or multimeter and check the wiring harness plug for power when the high beams are engaged. Check working side for reference and then check non-working side. If the non-working side isn’t getting power when high beams engaged, it’s a wiring problem.

If non-working side has power with high beam engaged, it’s a bulb problem.

·
Registered
2011 SXT
4,250 Posts
The LED is probably the issue id swap it back and retry the Relay would be under the Hood in the Front Fuse Box on Passenger Side
Marked on the Inside top cover also check the Fuse and just Replace it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
32,171 Posts
I am unaware of any halogen headlights with shutters on a Challenger. 2016 Challengers with Halogens use a 9012 HIR2 bulb, and it's a dual filament bulb. I'm never one to think I know anything everything, so maybe Slidd or Hal H could confirm?

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
17,935 Posts
I am unaware of any halogen headlights with shutters on a Challenger. 2016 Challengers with Halogens use a 9012 HIR2 bulb, and it's a dual filament bulb. I'm never one to think I know anything everything, so maybe Slidd or Hal H could confirm?

A Guy
I haven't looked at any non-HID 2015+ to determine is the high beam function in those applications have a shutter mechanism. If I see one of those this weekend, I'll have to look.

Most of the cars I've been around in the newer years have HIDs in them

Reactions: A Guy

·
Registered
12 Posts

A Guy
My 2020 has halogen single filament bulbs and since shutters would be required for such bulbs it has shutters.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
32,171 Posts
That's 3 that say their cars have single filament, yet I've always read that 9012 are dual filament bulbs. How are you determining yours have 1 filament?

A Guy

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
11,167 Posts
That's 3 that say their cars have single filament, yet I've always read that 9012 are dual filament bulbs. How are you determining yours have 1 filament?

A Guy
The bulb is a single filament bulb, but it has dual functionality capability (high and low beam) like one would expect from a dual element bulb.

Gas Camera accessory Wood Machine Auto part

Reactions: A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
32,171 Posts
Jaw Gesture Collar Sleeve Event

But is there a shutter? :)

A Guy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.