Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In 1990 I went thru an automated car wash that scuffed my car bumper to bumper with black marks that took 2 days for a detail shop to buff out. Since then, I have been a hands on person to wash, clay, polish and wax my cars. Well as mother nature takes her course, it's getting a little harder to do it all by hand anymore and I'm looking into what would be best for me to use...

I've narrowed it down to 2....

PorterCable 7424X or the Meguiar's G110v2 buffer/polisher's? And what Pad's would be best? I'm not looking to take out scratches or paint correction as the car is brand new. I am partial to the Meguiar's Ultimate Products, and, I need something that is light weight to use.

I'm looking for recommendations from anyone that has used these units and what you feel would be best for a "beginner" machine user to start with. My car is Black... When I got it a few weeks ago, it had quite a few swirl marks in it but after clay barring it the swirls are gone and I'd like to keep it that way. I did put a coat of Meguiar's Ultimate Polish on it by hand but it sure was a chore for my back.

As always, thanks in advance for everyone's wealth of knowledge here!!:)

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Reactions: iamawild1

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
Be careful of a high speed if you dont have experience. Obitital is the best

·
Registered
27 Posts
Porter is a decent machine, but from solid experience I would purchase the griots garage 6 inch orbital, and the griots 3 inch orbital for those tight spots to reach. It's considered a "beginners" polisher but trust me when you see the outcome it looks professional. You can't even compare it to working by hand. It's night and day. Any questions just shoot me a pm

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Clay bars don't get swirls out of the paint, and oftentimes they can add imperfections...which is normal if you have a lot of paint contaminants.

With a black car you will need to do paint correction, its just the nature of having a black car. That said, I really like the Porter 7424X and the Adams 2 step polish system. The Adams polishes come with color coded pads so its impossible to mess up.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Be careful of a high speed if you dont have experience. Obitital is the best

Absolutely! This is why I'm asking here.. Don't want to do any damage.

Both the PC and Meguiar's are DA orbitals and "claim" to be easy and Safe to use.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
If you're a "beginner" stay away from these high end polish/wax systems. Speaking from experience, they are tricky to use and unless you have experience you may wind up with a bigger mess on your hands than you bargained for. I'm not saying these products are bad, I'm just saying they work best in the hands of a pro.

If your car is black I highly recommend THIS POLISH followed by THIS WAX. They are both very easy to use and forgiving.

·
Registered
573 Posts
In 1990 I went thru an automated car wash that scuffed my car bumper to bumper with black marks that took 2 days for a detail shop to buff out. Since then, I have been a hands on person to wash, clay, polish and wax my cars. Well as mother nature takes her course, it's getting a little harder to do it all by hand anymore and I'm looking into what would be best for me to use...

I've narrowed it down to 2....

PorterCable 7424X or theuar Meguiar's G110v2 buffer/polisher's? And what Pad's would be best? I'm not looking to take out scratches or paint correction as the car is brand new. I am partial to the Meguiar's Ultimate Products, and, I need something that is light weight to use.

I'm looking for recommendations from anyone that has used these units and what you feel would be best for a "beginner" machine user to start with. My car is Black... When I got it a few weeks ago, it had quite a few swirl marks in it but after clay barring it the swirls are gone and I'd like to keep it that way. I did put a coat of Meguiar's Ultimate Polish on it by hand but it sure was a chore for my back.

As always, thanks in advance for everyone's wealth of knowledge here!!:)
I have the meguiar's buffer and it works good. ( just go slow as a beginner until you get the hang of it ) I used meguiar's for years. I now use Driven Marine polish . It last longer, protects better , and use it on your wind shield it acts like rain x only better. The best part is you get better results and it is so easy to use. Goes on & comes off very easy GREAT RESULTS.:)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you're a "beginner" stay away from these high end polish/wax systems. Speaking from experience, they are tricky to use and unless you have experience you may wind up with a bigger mess on your hands than you bargained for. I'm not saying these products are bad, I'm just saying they work best in the hands of a pro.

If your car is black I highly recommend THIS POLISH followed by THIS WAX. They are both very easy to use and forgiving.

I would be beginning on an older vehicle until I got the "hang" of it... and I understand the slow and easy is better than fast and furious.. :)

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
As long as the polisher is dual action you should be fine. I can't imagine how much consistent pressure you would have to put down with something like a PC7424x to do any harm to the paint.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Ok ive been in the auto body paint biz for 15 years. I only use 3m perfect it series buffing compound. It aint cheap but works the best use step 1 for light scratches in clear (some wet sanding my apply) and scuffs. Step 2 is like a machine polish. I Don't really use number 2 compound. Number 3 is a very glossy finish( I use most) u wanna give a shine remove swirls its great on any color car. As far as a buffer well to me orbitials aren't worth it but safe they don't have the rpms to really get the problems out of a paint job can be good for waxing. I use the makita 9227 goes up to 6000 rpms light weight and has speed controls for getting into tight spots or around curves. And I only use foam pads. goodluck

·
Registered
382 Posts
One of the first things I purchased for my car was a Porter Cable 7424 XP, over five years later no swirls, spiderwebs or any paint imperfections... except for a the rock chips and accidental scratches that are unavoidable.

·
Registered
675 Posts
All the info in this thread is why I watched Junkmans videos he keeps it simple.

if you only want to polish and not remove swirls marks i would TOTALLY recomend the PC.

it is a true beginners orbital polisher and has NO forced rotation so you will not damage your clear at all with this

polisher. I used this polisher when i first started detailing my Challenger in 2011. A year later I moved up to the

Flex. But that is a few steps ahead of where you are. Get the PC I still have and use mine today, but my go to is

the flex. As for the polish compound i use various. If you want light correction, and shine i use menzerna fg400

with Megs Microfibre pads. If i want to correct then i switch to Adams 2 Step correction.

Do you research there is going to need to be some learning on your part. Once you pick it up its simple as pie.

And I also use my Flex/pc on low speed to apply sealant and wax.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
I'm just going to use a professional detailer. I was always a hands on guy but I just can't do that kind of work any more. Had a spinal fusion and it just hurts too much to bend any more.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm just going to use a professional detailer. I was always a hands on guy but I just can't do that kind of work any more. Had a spinal fusion and it just hurts too much to bend any more.
I'm with you there... spinal fusion as well here. It's just getting tooooo hard to do all this by hand anymore. My 09 Silver R/T was a very forgiving color.. the black? well, not so much! :notallthere:
l

It looks like I'll probably be going with the Porter Cable 7424xp. I've read plenty of reviews, watched loads of video's, including Junkman's... I am NOT looking to do paint correction. My car is brand new.. there were a few swirls when I first got it from the dealer and I know, everyone says clay bars don't remove swirls, BUT it did on my car. The few that were there are no more. So it was either the clay bar or the Meguiar's polish applied by hand that removed them. They're gonners...

I've been detailing my own cars for what seems like decades. I'm not stupid, I know the dangers the older style buffers could do and I have no intention of becoming some kind of detail magician. I just want to keep my car polished and waxed to a beautiful deep shine.

Hey, this is me!:)

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
The Porter Cable is extremely user-friendly. I'm the type who rushes through most things, as I'm impatient and don't usually take care to read/follow all directions. Nonetheless, I went over my wife's black Audi and it came out fantastic.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I can tell you, claying a car does not remove swirls at all. One thing you mentioned was you put polish on it and they were gone. Funy thing is some polishes have filling properties in where the polish fills the scratch in the clear causing the swirl. In any event good luck with your PC its a great machine.

I'm with you there... spinal fusion as well here. It's just getting tooooo hard to do all this by hand anymore. My 09 Silver R/T was a very forgiving color.. the black? well, not so much! :notallthere:
l

It looks like I'll probably be going with the Porter Cable 7424xp. I've read plenty of reviews, watched loads of video's, including Junkman's... I am NOT looking to do paint correction. My car is brand new.. there were a few swirls when I first got it from the dealer and I know, everyone says clay bars don't remove swirls, BUT it did on my car. The few that were there are no more. So it was either the clay bar or the Meguiar's polish applied by hand that removed them. They're gonners...

I've been detailing my own cars for what seems like decades. I'm not stupid, I know the dangers the older style buffers could do and I have no intention of becoming some kind of detail magician. I just want to keep my car polished and waxed to a beautiful deep shine.

Hey, this is me!:)

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
get a pc and watch a few junkman videos and u cant screw it up. hell he has a video of a 10 yrold doing his vet!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've been having really good results with the Harbor Fright DA polisher, cheap and works good. Meguire's Ultimate Compound to knock down that dryspray-ish factory finish some, and get a really good wet-gloss with the Ultimate Polish. I use a blue HF polishing foam for the compound, and a Meguire's tan finishing foam for the polish. Got a Meguire's polishing foam coming in on my latest Amazon order...only went with the HF foam 'cause it was cheap, but it works good too...who'da thunk it, lol.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts