Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I’m a brand new member as of a few days ago, and I thought I would introduce myself and tell you the story of how I became a Challenger owner.

My name is Eugenia (Genie for short) Eleanore Merolla and I live in Nesconset, Long Island, New York with my husband, John. Our daughter, Deborah, and her 9 year old son, Glen, also live with us. We purchased a very old house (built in 1923) back in 1988 and have been working on it ever since. I have been living in Long Island all of my life and John has lived here since he was about 6 years old.

Even though John is 68 years old, he has not yet retired from his business, which is residential and commercial fence installation. And, yes, he actually does most of the installing himself! I am 63 (yes, I know, kind of old to be driving a TorRed Challenger) and am currently a homemaker, but with lots of hobbies and interests. My first job was in the credit office of W. T. Grant Co. (anyone remember that store?) and then as a “girl Friday” in a small loan company office. After that, my husband opened a gas station (1971-1977-we lived through the gas crises) and I took care of the books and pumped the gas, checked oil and antifreeze and so on.

After that, John went back to the fence business (a trade he started learning when he was 15 years old) and is still at it and I got a real estate license and tried that (hated it)! In 1978, I opened an antique shop that I eventually closed in 2000.

Then I began selling on eBay but had to quit in 2007, when my mother came to live with us. She was 85 and quite disabled due to rheumatoid arthritis and it took just too much of my time to care for her to continue on eBay. Unfortunately, she recently passed away but I’m not sure yet if I will return to eBay. A lot of things have changed on there and I need to think about it. Believe me, I’m a hoarder and have LOTS of stuff to sell!

So back to my Challenger…

I decided my husband needed a new car, as he has been driving his 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo “forever”. So I suggested that we go and look for a new car for him. I asked him what he wanted and he definitely wanted another Grand Cherokee. So off to the Jeep dealer we went. We usually buy used cars but this time, I told him to get a new one with any options he wanted. So he wound up with a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland in Inferno Red Crystal Pearl that is loaded with just about everything. Of course, I had to browse while we were there and discovered the Dodge Challenger. I never paid much attention to new cars, as I never saw anything I really liked. But I was “bowled over” by the Challenger! I already had a 2005 Dodge Stratus with just a little over 11,000 miles (I don’t go much of anywhere and my mom gave it to me in 2007, when she gave up driving), so I really didn’t plan on a new car, perhaps for years.

And I definitely had no plans on buying one, even after I saw the Challenger. But John kept after me about getting the car. Since we had just spent about $53,000 on the Jeep, I really wanted to look for a used one with low mileage. All the ones in the Jeep dealer had standard transmissions (which I can drive but rather not, especially due to the congested traffic around here) and we looked around at other car dealers and found my car, a 2010 Challenger SE with 5,055 miles, at a neighboring Lexus dealer. And it had a 6 cyl., automatic transmission, and low mileage, just what I was looking for. The color is TorRed, which is very bright, but I like it. We bought the car and now we have two red cars in the driveway! Even though this was an unplanned, quite expensive purchase, I love this car and it makes me feel good to drive it, even if I’m only going to the post office, bank, or local convenience store, which is what it is mostly used for.

It will be my daily driver unless I run into problems in the winter, in which case I’ll use the Jeep or ask John to take me where I need to go.

Hope you enjoyed my story! Genie

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Genie, Congratulations and welcome aboard! :)

·
Premium Member
7,296 Posts
Great story and welcome!

If you want to be absolutely sure you won't have trouble in the winter, get purpose use snow tires. I drive mine in all winter conditions; deep snow, ice, you name it. These cars go well in the snow with the right tires.

I use the snow tires from about December through February here in PA.

·
Registered
268 Posts
"I love this car and it makes me feel good to drive it"

I think we all agree with you on this one.

"I am 63 (yes, I know, kind of old to be driving a TorRed Challenger)"

Dont think I read that in the owners manual.

Welcome and Enjoy. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm also from Long Island (Freeport), I'm also 63 years old and yes, I do remember W.T. Grant Co. I bought my R/T in late 2009. It was love at first sight. It's not my daily driver. I use my '99 Pathfinder for that but I do enjoy driving the Challenger every chance I get. I'm an old muscle car enthusiast from back in the day. My first hot car was a '67 396 SS Chevelle. I really enjoyed that car and now that I have the Challenger it's like having a second chance to do it all over again.
Good luck to you and your husband with your two new nice cars.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T
8,919 Posts
I would like to say welcome to the best Challenger Forum. If you have any questions, please feel free to PM any of the Admin/Moderators.

Also, please be sure to read General Forum Rules - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

Thanks for joining our forum, please enjoy and we look forward to your participation. :bigthumb:

Genie great story and enjoy your ride :)

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your warm welcomes!

I can see this is a very friendly forum and I'm glad to be part of it. Special thanks to:

bwbike: for the hint about the snow tires. I'll be sure to run that past my husband. I haven't had a rear wheel drive vehicle in some time, so I didn't even think of that.

OhioKirk: for reminding me about the windows. I had thought about that but then forgot. The garage is full of "junk" so maybe I can make room as we're planning on a big garage sale sometime soon. It's a two car garage and there's still no room! Otherwise, I think I have a parking spot that's pretty well protected, so that may help.

Everyone else: Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and for your good wishes! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts