Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I was driving down the street today when the car in front of me slammed on the brakes, so I hit the brakes hard to just out of reaction. Well after I stopped and I went to hit the gas I realized it was dead, no power from the engine, everything else was still going as far as electrical and what not. So i turned the car off and started it back up but it kinda of sputtered like it was trying to get gas then it returned to full power. Ive never had this happen and was wondering if this has happened to anyone else, I dont know if the sudden jolt shut the fuel pump off or what happened but it just seemed odd. I have an automatic so it didnt stall.

·
Registered
6,352 Posts
RT is on the right track... it was probably a combo of the TC lockup and maybe even some safety system for the fuel system that was partially tripped?

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
I was wondering about the fuel system myself. Some cars have (had?) an inertia switch, if you hit a bump too hard it could pop and turn off the fuel pump. Those had to be manually reset, wonder if the Challenger has something similar but computer controlled?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tank was half full, it was just strange because I had never had a car do this before just by going hard on the brakes. My thought was some sort of fuel cut off because like I said when I started it back up it kind of hesitated then fired.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Same thing happened to my 07 Charger SRT8 about 2 weeks ago... rather hard braking and the engine quit. Started right back up no problem. Kinda odd.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I had something similar happen when someone cut me off.

Guy was driving like an idiot probably drunk so i wanted to get past him, matted the petal down and the engine revved up but he swerved into my lane so I immediately slammed on the brakes to avoid him and the car seemed to stall.

I figured it had something to do with the transmission down shifting when i gunned it then having the brakes slammed and maybe it tried to downshift more (while still revving high) and for safety reason cut the engine so it didnt damage anything.

Fired it back up and didnt think much of it as it was a weird situation, but i definitely ripped past the moron and let him know my displeasure with his driving ;)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just had something similar happen to me last night but I wasn't hard on the brakes. I was making a left hand turn into a parking lot and it died on me during the turn. I barely got it turned safely into the parking lot. Restarted it and it drove fine. This is three times now. I'll hold off for a bit but if they can't find a fix I'll have to get rid of it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wow that sounds pretty dangerous. Have you guys filed NHTSA reports? If this really a pervasive issue NHTSA will track the complaints and notify Dodge, potentially forcing a recall. I had a 2004 F150 that did this when I bought it brand new and it ended up having the ECM reflashed with a new map or program and it didn't happen again. It still really shakes your faith in a vehicle when something like that happens.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

As a potential buyer I am seeing too many threads with serious problems. Door handles, sagging headliners, whining differentials, difficulty shifting, poor paint and so on. I realize all cars have issues but for a $45k car some of these are absurd.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Wow that sounds pretty dangerous. Have you guys filed NHTSA reports? If this really a pervasive issue NHTSA will track the complaints and notify Dodge, potentially forcing a recall. I had a 2004 F150 that did this when I bought it brand new and it ended up having the ECM reflashed with a new map or program and it didn't happen again. It still really shakes your faith in a vehicle when something like that happens.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

As a potential buyer I am seeing too many threads with serious problems. Door handles, sagging headliners, whining differentials, difficulty shifting, poor paint and so on. I realize all cars have issues but for a $45k car some of these are absurd.
Until they stop letting robots painting cars and let it go back to people "wasting" paint... get used to the crappy paint job stuff. Orange Peel is a way of life with MOST mfg. these days.

As for the stalling thing... odd... I had that happen the other night as well... figured I did something dumb. I was turning the car around while in second gear in the cul-de-sac and it just died... was kinda weird. I figured maybe I just let the RPMs nose dive too much. Will keep an eye on it now though.

BTW... whining differentials... not sure which cars are having the issue (I am new to the whole Challenger thing) but it's not an uncommon thing... what's uncommon is being able to hear it. Anyone that has a pre-2010 Harley with a six speed can tell you about noisy gearing. Is the noise an actual problem or just annoying? If just annoying... louder mufflers and turning the radio up will solve that problem.

I have had my 2010 Challenger SRT8 a week and so far I am tickled to death with it. Fun car to drive and looks good. As long as the dealers aren't fighting people about the broke stuff... I wouldn't sweat it. It's still a relatively new model for a company that almost didn't make it out alive in a financial crisis. Now that Chrysler seems to have their stuff back on the right path hopefully things will improve and come out of the factory correct instead of needing to be attended to later.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts