Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Just so you know, I'm new to the boards, new to Challengers, new to V-8's and new to muscle cars. I've never owned any of them, and finally after 4 years of drooling over the Challengers, got the approval to move forward on my first purchase. I purchased a used 2010 RT DWBP set up exactly the way I wanted it. It also only had 4100 miles on it. It was an Oman, a got to have....and the timing was right, so I came home with her.

I absolutly love this car. I have lots of fun in it and almost have withdrawals when its not driven for a few days.

Anyway onward with my questions. First of all, with the reading on the TC issue, I have been driving mostly now in autostick mode so to prevent any problems with the TC. My questions are is there any harm is starting out in 2nd gear all the time? And has anyone had any issues with shifting from 1st to 2nd while in autostick mode? The reason I'm asking is because I start out all the time in 2nd, because I get a very hard shifting from 1st to 2nd when in autostick. It just does not feel right, and I cringe when it happens. Its almost like a pop into gear and the car jerks when it happens. The higher the RPM's the harder the jerk.

So to avoid this, I've been starting in 2nd which seems to be ok, as there is no stress put on the car. I even one day had to accellerate fast, and lit them up for a quick second. Was fun, but the rear end wanted to come out from behind me....more than likely my needing more experience driving one of these machines....LOL.

With this is there any need for concern or is this standard for this kind of car?

Thanks for your expertise on these cars.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
What rpms..?
The more rpms in 1st, the harder the shift.

If I start in 1st (usually try to start in 2nd), I shift ASAP like at 1500 rpms.
Firm shift, but not jerky, 2nd-3rd shift @ 2500
3rd-4th @2500
4th-5th @ 3000

You might be taking it too high in 1st.. Try your 1-2 shift @ 1500 or less..

·
Registered
723 Posts
2nd in mine is perfect, I don't like 3rd when the rpms are low, it slams in a little too hard for me, I think the higher the rpms the better it will shift. So shift @ 6000 every gear.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I shift at about 3000 rpms until I hit speed limit or speed I want. Haven't noticed it being jerky during shift. Are you easing off the gas when you shift, like one would on a standard trans? no need to do that, or at least I don't.

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
Mine can be jerky too on some shifts (up or down) and at certain rpm. With time I've learned to modulate the throttle (yep, I do find it smoother when I let go of the gas slightly for the shift) and to hit the sweet spots. It helps, but I don't always time it perfectly and at WOT I get some pretty serious slamming on 2-3 and 3-4. So if I want best acceleration I let it upshift on its own.

Now when downshifting I find that no gas is harsher than some (not pedal to the floor, of course). I've done some blazing and smooth 4-3 shifts to pass on the freeway when keeping my foot down (20-30% throttle, maybe).

Alright, so I don't worry too much about the NAG-1 because it's a proven tank. I think that the harshness of some shifts is partly due to the slop in the rear end and partly to the throttle lag. Even accelerating while in gear can cause some backlash. Maybe those who tightened their throttle response and tweaked their shifts via tuning can chime in.

Every transmission probably has its quirks, too. My 1-2 are usually great.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
It's called torque :)

It's fine to start it in 1st. I do it everyday all day. Just shift around 3k rpm and you should be good.

Just stay in the low RPM range until you feel safe with it.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
1500 rpms? Now thats funny. :scratchhead:
Now ask me when I shift my vette at the track..

1-2 6500
2-3 6700

Cross the line @ 7000.........

Street driving, I take it easy.. no need to shift @ 3000+
Thats why its a street car..

·
Registered
723 Posts
Now ask me when I shift my vette at the track..

1-2 6500
2-3 6700

Cross the line @ 7000.........

Street driving, I take it easy.. no need to shift @ 3000+
Thats why its a street car..
Yep, thats serious rpm's, I am in a rural area, so 1500 is no good for me, the best part of the hemi is hearing it at higher rpm's. I havent had any issues with the autostick slamming into gear too fast except at around 5000 rpms at wot from 2nd to 3rd. If I wait until 6000 it shifts perfect. I don't use the auto stick in city or traffic driving. It shifts fine in auto and the MDS really doesn't bother me usually.

·
Registered
79 Posts
no it will not shift and you will be losing power i already test it

maybe it will shif in the 1 gear but i am sure not in the second gear

this while i am using Sport mode

·
Premium Member
2016 Scat Pack
882 Posts
no it will not shift and you will be losing power i already test it

maybe it will shif in the 1 gear but i am sure not in the second gear

this while i am using Sport mode

Autostick is designed NOT to shift automatically when in Sport mode.
And, as far as I'm concerned, Sport mode serves no useful purpose when in autostick. On an R/T, Sport mode just makes the auto transmission change gears at different (higher) shift points. It's my understanding that it does a lot more on the SRT.

On the R/T, when in autostick and not Sport mode, run WOT and it will definitely shift automatically for you just before red line.

·
Banned
575 Posts
Autostick is designed NOT to shift automatically when in Sport mode.
And, as far as I'm concerned, Sport mode serves no useful purpose when in autostick. On an R/T, Sport mode just makes the auto transmission change gears at different (higher) shift points. It's my understanding that it does a lot more on the SRT.

On the R/T, when in autostick and not Sport mode, run WOT and it will definitely shift automatically for you just before red line.
It's perfect for burn outs to hold it in gear and hit the Rev Limiter. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
My 1-2 shift is Ok, but I wish it was a lot firmer. I enjoyed the tire bark when my Cuda shifted at part throttle, So I wished the Chalenger would do the same.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What rpms..?
The more rpms in 1st, the harder the shift.

If I start in 1st (usually try to start in 2nd), I shift ASAP like at 1500 rpms.
Firm shift, but not jerky, 2nd-3rd shift @ 2500
3rd-4th @2500
4th-5th @ 3000

You might be taking it too high in 1st.. Try your 1-2 shift @ 1500 or less..
I usually upshift into every gear at around 3000-3,500rpm (that's usually at the top of the engine rev for me anyway). It transitions very smooth with no jerking.

I've noticed that if I'm cruising in 3rd gear and quickly upshift to 4th gear while pressing on the gas even more in order to quickly switch lanes, I dont get a quick boost of speed (since the rpms drop after the upshift). Am I doing something wrong? Should I instead, downshift if i want to quickly speed up to switch lanes?

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
#1: Timing Chain concern: have you checked to see if your cars part of the TSB, and had it repaired for free?
#2: Once it is fixed, no need to drive in SportMode all the time. SportMode also keeps the OD from kicking in at highway speeds.

·
Registered
16 Posts
#1: Timing Chain concern: have you checked to see if your cars part of the TSB, and had it repaired for free?
#2: Once it is fixed, no need to drive in SportMode all the time. SportMode also keeps the OD from kicking in at highway speeds.
TSB? I just bought my first Challenger and have never heard of TSB. But I did notice that when I downshift while cruising and punch the gas, I get this boost of speed. Helps whn I want to switch lanes in a tight spot. Only thing is it seems to go against my understanding (or lack tehreof) about shifting gears. I thought if I quickly shift upward that I should get that quick boost -- not if I shift downward. Then again, I've only ever driven automatic so this is all new to me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts