Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2020 Challenger Scat Pack with the Torqueflite 8Speed is hard shifting when cold. Is this normal? This is my first high performance vehicle so could just be me being a noob. When i say cold i mean after first starting car, not actual cold weather. I expect it is normal for it to run a little rougher in 40 and below. Any answers will be appreciated.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,452 Posts
My 2020 Challenger Scat Pack with the Torqueflite 8Speed is hard shifting when cold. Is this normal? This is my first high performance vehicle so could just be me being a noob. When i say cold i mean after first starting car, not actual cold weather. I expect it is normal for it to run a little rougher in 40 and below. Any answers will be appreciated.
Hard shifting is relative. It could be just normal behavior for the car/transmission and a bit firmer shifting than what you are used to.

Did not have my 2018 Scat Pack that long but I don't remember it manifesting any exceptionally hard shifts when cold with an exception: In some cases -- I could never recognize a pattern -- the inital shift (in D) from 1st to 2nd could be a bit harder than what I would have considered "normal". But it was not that much harder and did not happen at any other times.

Was not is not my habit to let the engine warm up that long -- just long enough for the cold idle speed to drop to near the hot idle speed -- and when I headed out I just took it easy. Not real hard acceleration until everything was up to temperature.

At all other times the shifts were probably a bit "firmer" but nothing out of the ordinary.

My 2018 Hellcat pretty much behaved the same way over 27.5K miles. But often my habit was to put the transmission in manual mode and I'd idle in 1st gear down the driveway to the road and then once on the road I'd manually upshift and I can't recall a time thinking a shift was too hard. But I was pretty light on the throttle. I never experimented when everything was cold but I know when under hard(er) acceleration the shifts were a bit firmer. This is normal.

Part of what the typical owner expects when driving a 485HP or 707HP car.

The car is new. While rare a problem with the automatic is possible. For peace of mind stop in at the dealer and ask about the behavior.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,209 Posts
Many posts about hard/delayed shifts when cold on the forum. Consensus is normal...assuming yours is not severe

A Guy

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When i go from Reverse to Drive if i do not wait a second or 2 it jumps when i press the gas. It does not do this after the car is warmed up. Also if i am not giving it a lot of gas like stop and go traffic it has a slight jump going between 1st and 2nd gear.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
My first shift after a cold start is always crappy as well. Sometimes, it will "launch me forward" when it shifts (more than it should). Lately, in the colder weather, I notice that the car kind of doesn't know what it wants to do on the first shift - hard to explain. But it's only that very first shift.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts