Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SXT Plus
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I have a real aggravating issue. When the weather is damp my 2015 V6 Challenger is hard to start. But once it starts, smooth as glass! By hard I mean the starter may crank up to 12 times, then the engine struggles to fire. Then it will fire and run normally. Dealer say there are no codes stored. To further test, I have washed my car on nice dry days. Then when I go to restart in 2-4 hours, same issue! I am perplexed, and so are dealers. Any thought out there? :frown:

·
Registered
14,535 Posts
How are you starting it? Press and releasing the starter button or holding it in? Ever try hitting the button twice with your foot off the brake to run the fuel pump first?

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 SXT Plus
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How are you starting it? Press and releasing the starter button or holding it in? Ever try hitting the button twice with your foot off the brake to run the fuel pump first?

I have done it all, including remote start. Normally I press the button and as soon as it starts to crank I release. I have tried just holding it in but nothing changes. I have not tried to hit the button twice with my foot off the pedal. Early on a mechanic though it was a leaky injector, thought he found one injector that may be suspect, then replaced that injector. Nothing changed.

·
Registered
14,535 Posts
You've got Tip Start so you should press the button once and it should crank and start by itself.

On the hitting the button twice with your foot off the brake, this runs the fuel pump and primes the fuel system so that could help figure out if you have a fuel or pressure problem.

·
Registered
2015 SXT Plus
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You've got Tip Start so you should press the button once and it should crank and start by itself.

On the hitting the button twice with your foot off the brake, this runs the fuel pump and primes the fuel system so that could help figure out if you have a fuel or pressure problem.

Understood! I was starting to focus on the dampness angle, either real or imagined. It is pouring here today and this morning I had one of those rough starts. Since then I tried the method you describe above. And it starts normally! I will do this for a few days and if I get no failures, its fuel pressure. I just need to get over why I have the issue predominately in wet weather.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
If it continues to start fine by priming the fuel system and only long cranks and stumbles in wet weather I would think it most likely is a wiring connector in the fuel pump or fuel pump relay or fuel pressure relay that is having a poor connection in damp weather. Its my best guess without seeing it in person.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,727 Posts
Check the battery voltage when this happens too, could be something pulling the voltage down when it's wet

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 SXT Plus
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it continues to start fine by priming the fuel system and only long cranks and stumbles in wet weather I would think it most likely is a wiring connector in the fuel pump or fuel pump relay or fuel pressure relay that is having a poor connection in damp weather. Its my best guess without seeing it in person.
So now 2 days of multiple starts in wet and dry weather and first priming the fuel pump, and it start perfectly! I don't know what to think about this or how to correct it. This car has 40K miles on it. I don't see a reason why the fuel pump would have a lose connection or be faulty, but it is a car! Or why it is really bad in wet weather. Keep those suggestions coming.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts