Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my R/T and it has the HK option. I'm not too impressed with it overall. It seems to have too much bass and the highs are really high. At anything over +2, it just rattles the interior in my car. I like bass but not when it's distorted. I'm having trouble tuning it and getting it just right.

Any input from other owners? Could I have a speaker problem here or is this something common?

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Yep, not as good as you would think from FCA's hype. I found my rattle came from that little bottom plastic piece in the door where you pull to close it.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
mine rattles somewhere around the passenger side, a little annoying when playing music with bass or loud. still sounds better than not having it

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,759 Posts
Try lifting the little rubber insert and see if the screw underneath is loose.

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,759 Posts

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
AND....turn the volume down. As a livelong headbanger and hard rocker, I've played music way too loud (especially in the car) for too many years. Now in my mid-50's, I have partial hearing loss and persistent (non-curable) tinnitus (ringing in the ears). Every minute of every day, it sounds like someone just clanked a spoon off of a crystal bowl, and that ringing just continues for ever. Partially caused by gun-fire with no ear-protection when I was in my early 20's, but I've worn hearing protection for shooting and all power equipment work (even the shop vac) for the past 30 years. The only time I didn't protect my ears was when the care stereo was on. I learned too late to keep the volume at 50% or less.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
AND....turn the volume down. As a livelong headbanger and hard rocker, I've played music way too loud (especially in the car) for too many years. Now in my mid-50's, I have partial hearing loss and persistent (non-curable) tinnitus (ringing in the ears). Every minute of every day, it sounds like someone just clanked a spoon off of a crystal bowl, and that ringing just continues for ever. Partially caused by gun-fire with no ear-protection when I was in my early 20's, but I've worn hearing protection for shooting and all power equipment work (even the shop vac) for the past 30 years. The only time I didn't protect my ears was when the care stereo was on. I learned too late to keep the volume at 50% or less.
I'm not much on blaring the music. I was in my younger days but now I keep it pretty low.

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
I just got my R/T and it has the HK option. I'm not too impressed with it overall. It seems to have too much bass and the highs are really high. At anything over +2, it just rattles the interior in my car. I like bass but not when it's distorted. I'm having trouble tuning it and getting it just right.

Any input from other owners? Could I have a speaker problem here or is this something common?
What year is your car, because the 2015's had an issue with the HK. I love my HK system, but I only have to turn it up to 9 or 10 for driving, and maybe 12 if I really want to rock my old bones. I think the problem might lye in the settings of the equalizer. My base is at +4 as well as the treble, with my mid range at -1. I will admit I do get too much base on some songs.

Oh, here is a really good question to ask you. I only listen to XM radio. Do you listen the live FM radio? If so, that's another ballgame. You might need to to tweak your settings down a bit.

·
Registered
130 Posts
mine will rattle the overhead console if i crank it up a bit too much. i still wanna dynomat the trunk and doors and the overhead console. possibly more it depends how crazy i go.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What year is your car, because the 2015's had an issue with the HK. I love my HK system, but I only have to turn it up to 9 or 10 for driving, and maybe 12 if I really want to rock my old bones. I think the problem might lye in the settings of the equalizer. My base is at +4 as well as the treble, with my mid range at -1. I will admit I do get too much base on some songs.

Oh, here is a really good question to ask you. I only listen to XM radio. Do you listen the live FM radio? If so, that's another ballgame. You might need to to tweak your settings down a bit.
Mine is a 2016. I listen to sports talk radio, sxm and bluetooth from my phone. It's the sxm and bluetooth where I really notice the issues I have.

Right now I have my bass zero, mid 2 and treble 4 and it's ok. Bass at 4 just rattles too much. I do have to turn the volume up to around 15 for driving because my car has aftermarket exhaust and it's loud. I like it but it's almost too loud so I'll probably change it at some point.

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
I have that same crap system in my 2016 HellCat.
I found the best thing to do with the box that is in the spare tire area is to remove it and put it on the shelf in my garage, and use the spare tire space to store tools needed to change a tire.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Try lifting the little rubber insert and see if the screw underneath is loose.

A Guy

Hahaha! I know mine is loose. Been watching it for a year now. Found it right away. Do you think I ever bothered to tighten it. But it doesn't rattle. My rattle is all in the trunk I "think". It's a very labor intensive radio to listen to. lol.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts

Me too! Except the turn it down part. Tinnitus in one ear. Constant. The other has some middle ear weakness where, when I'm lucky it'll open and close making a weird feeling. But holding your nose and blowing will sometimes help. BUT I still will NOT turn it down. My hearing is still awesome. Oddly. 60 now.... (I'll never learn)

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
2017 for me. I love the system, but it is not a set and forget unit.
There is a lot of bass and I'm always adjusting it.

I also do not use the "surround sound" option. Leaving that off makes a huge difference IMO.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
2017 for me. I love the system, but it is not a set and forget unit.
There is a lot of bass and I'm always adjusting it.

I also do not use the "surround sound" option. Leaving that off makes a huge difference IMO.
Thanks, I'll try that.

Reactions: mbflatlander

·
Premium Member
2,615 Posts
I forgot to mention that in my previous post. I didn't like the surround sound at all.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts