Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I traded my 2012 SRT8 for a 2019, 1320 with a Harmon Kardon sound system. The sound quality is very poor, no comparison to the the 2012 system.
The sound is very pierceing, no depth and the middle front speaker produces way more power than the rest of the system. You can not balance the speakers to match the
rest of the instruments that,s being played. Its hard to explain just sounds bad. Is there a dealer update or a adjustment that can be made to balance the system?
I really like quality music, yes the engine sounds good but so does quality music. Has of now until they improve the harman kardon i would not pay extra for it. Any GOOD advice i'm listening. Thank You

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
If it has surround sound, turn it off. Mine sounds much better without it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
I traded my 2012 SRT8 for a 2019, 1320 with a Harmon Kardon sound system. The sound quality is very poor, no comparison to the the 2012 system.
The sound is very pierceing, no depth and the middle front speaker produces way more power than the rest of the system. You can not balance the speakers to match the
rest of the instruments that,s being played. Its hard to explain just sounds bad. Is there a dealer update or a adjustment that can be made to balance the system?
I really like quality music, yes the engine sounds good but so does quality music. Has of now until they improve the harman kardon i would not pay extra for it. Any GOOD advice i'm listening. Thank You
I traded my 2013 challenger rt for a 2019 challenger rt scat pack 1320 with the upgraded 18 speaker premium sound system sub and amp and it sounds AMAZING!!! Something must be wrong with yours maybe!?

·
Registered
987 Posts
my right side rattles, I think someone mentioned tightening the screw on the door by removing the plastic coin/change pocket holder thing. I haven't tried it yet but hopefully that solves it, other than that the sound system seems okay to me. i'm no audiophile. I just hate the rattling when there's too much bass

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT 8
652 Posts
Do a search, its all one WHAT U play on it. CD's sounds fine, BUT XM Sat radio sucks...……….

Reactions: SpeedShift

·
Registered
301 Posts
Short of going aftermarket or at least changing out the speakers, turn off surround and try to mess with the EQ, balance and fade. With so many speakers, it is likely you have a lot of reflections and phase shifts that mess up the sound. You can get used to the sound as it is. I have an aftermarket tuned setup in my '12 charger and its quality is noticeably better than the 9-speaker system in the scat pack. My opinion is that for the same price as the upgrade, you can get much better sound. I also recommend changing out the stock speakers when you get a chance. That alone makes a big difference.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I traded my 2013 challenger rt for a 2019 challenger rt scat pack 1320 with the upgraded 18 speaker premium sound system sub and amp and it sounds AMAZING!!! Something must be wrong with yours maybe!?
Thank you for the reply. I do believe there is something wrong my 2012 had a Harnan it was Great too

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do a search, its all one WHAT U play on it. CD's sounds fine, BUT XM Sat radio sucks...……….
Thank you for the reply. You are limited with 2019 to USB,Blue Tooth ,and radio. No more CD player or a hard drive
to like my older model. I did not try loading a flash drive with the new PC i recently received. May be it will transfer a higher quality of music on it from my CD collection.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Short of going aftermarket or at least changing out the speakers, turn off surround and try to mess with the EQ, balance and fade. With so many speakers, it is likely you have a lot of reflections and phase shifts that mess up the sound. You can get used to the sound as it is. I have an aftermarket tuned setup in my '12 charger and its quality is noticeably better than the 9-speaker system in the scat pack. My opinion is that for the same price as the upgrade, you can get much better sound. I also recommend changing out the stock speakers when you get a chance. That alone makes a big difference.
AS of today i down loaded a new usb. That did not help so i got mad and disconnected the sub in the trunk. (problem solved) the whole system came alive. Motley Crue said Kickstart My Heart again. LOL But really the bass works properly
the equalizer is noticeably adjustable. I think there is something wrong with the sub woofer.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
203 Posts
Has anyone with the HK sub tried Dynamat or similar in the trunk? Seems like it would help. Any feedback appreciated

·
Registered
22 Posts
Has anyone with the HK sub tried Dynamat or similar in the trunk? Seems like it would help. Any feedback appreciated
I did the entire trunk and lid with a similar product from Amazon, worked WONDERS!!. Now the only rattles I get are from underneath, around the gas tank... LOL
More work for me, I guess...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'll chime in here - re: Harman/Kardon Stereo:

1. Turn off surround sound.
2. Set Bass, Midrange, and Treble to flat 0.
3. Set fade and balance to center.
4. Play FLAC files, or WAV files, or anything uncompressed, directly thru the USB cable, NOT Bluetooth. I use the flacbox app on my iPhone.
5. Turn up the volume to half or slightly higher.
6. Enjoy! 🎼🚘

🔹Seriously, to those of you wondering, YES the Harman/Kardon stereo is worth it.🔹

Reactions: Theabs

·
Registered
2018 Billet SXT Plus
51 Posts
Interesting, I m actually very surprised. I have zero issues with mine, and not just myself, but everyone who rides in it thinks it sounds killer also.
That said, I have messed with the eq, fade, etc to optimize the sound quality to best i could.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I'll chime in here - re: Harman/Kardon Stereo:

1. Turn off surround sound.
2. Set Bass, Midrange, and Treble to flat 0.
3. Set fade and balance to center.
4. Play FLAC files, or WAV files, or anything uncompressed, directly thru the USB cable, NOT Bluetooth. I use the flacbox app on my iPhone.
5. Turn up the volume to half or slightly higher.
6. Enjoy! 🎼🚘

🔹Seriously, to those of you wondering, YES the Harman/Kardon stereo is worth it.🔹
where do you get your music? I have Apple Music with my Verizon Plan but I don't think it is flac or wav. It's probabbly compressed even if I download it to be stored on my phone

·
Registered
75 Posts
I got my music by ripping my own collection of CDs to FLAC files. Apple does have a lossless format (Apple lossless) but I don't know if they offer it on Apple Music.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts