Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2014 challenger with the Harmon Kardon stero package if you turn it up around 30 r higher sound cuts off before plays one song. The only way to get it to come back on is to cut the car off and wait about 5 minutes. Has anyone else had this problem.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have not had any problem with my 13 H.K. system. I can and have maxed it out and not had any cut out or distortion. Is it doing it in all modes, radio, sat, disk, ? If so then a trip to the dealer is in order. Good Luck!

·
Registered
687 Posts
oxbear....i have the HK system coming on my shaker order ...i have nothing but negative remarks about it....whats your experience?

·
Registered
281 Posts
oxbear....i have the HK system coming on my shaker order ...i have nothing but negative remarks about it....whats your experience?
Yes there have been many who have had issues with the H.K. Some people seemed to get a good one though and I must have been one of them because I think its very good. The sound from mine is clear even at max volume with good mids and lots of base. I hear things in songs that I have listened to for 40 years that I never heard before. I have always had the premium stereo system offered by the manufacturer in my cars and trucks or custom systems and I can say the H.K. in my Challenger is very good. I will say it is much better suited to newer music rather than older as older music often didn't have the base or recording levels that this system was designed for. Since I listen to classic rock/country most of the time I don't always get the full use it was intended for but as more of the old stuff is being remastered that seems to help. My wife's system in her 300c doesn't compare to the H.K. but then for all the extra money it shouldn't. Could it be better , should it be better for the price we pay for it, probably yes. But I am glad I got it and I am happy with it. I have found for the kind of music I listen to it sounds best with the EQ settings at +4 or 5 for the base, 0 to-1 for the mid and +4 or 5 for highs with a fade of -2. Of course whatever you listen to may require different settings. Also the HDD or the i-pod sound the best. Good Luck . Hope you get one of the good ones.
Congrats on the Shaker!!! What color?

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
HK Audio

The HK System is ok, not great. The sound is pretty unbalanced and for a lot of music the bass and highs are artificially inflated. It sounds like system where someone shaped the EQ into a deep V pattern. There are some adjustments to counteract this. With SAT radio you can hear audio degradation of the signal, sounds pretty crappy. The problem really is that the subs seemed to be tuned to be very loud/boomy at certain frequencies and that there are gaps in the lower midrange that the system does seem to handle well. The highs are very bright.

That said, for some recordings its sounds good. For some music its simply not listenable. The latest software update that was supposed to be a magic bullet just made it worse.

After all that, I am pretty picky when it comes to audio, my previous car had a stereo that I installed that was very good at 1/2 the price of the HK + 430n combo. My comparisons are between the two

Many people like the HK, I am not a fan

Pat

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I've owned two 392s with the H-K system and am NOT a fan. Dodge must be on drugs charging $2,000 for it but, hey, we seem willing to put up with the crummy sound, the cheap plastic enclosure, the ugly styrofoam mounts, and the loss of spare tire space just to be able to get the Navigation.

Now, the H-K system on newer SRT models (i.e., 300 and Charger) is SUPERB, but the one in the Challenger seems to have been patched together over a weekend of heavy drinking.

To prove how worthless that boom box is, I removed it to make space for a spare tire kit and the loss of sound quality is BARELY NOTICEABLE!

BTW, I have that H-K subwoofer cluttering my garage. If any So Cal local wants it, you can have it for $50.

Cheers.

Reactions: PSM450

·
Registered
281 Posts
So many people don't like the H.K. that it makes me wonder if they screwed up with mine because I think it sounds pretty good. My 13 R/T was a late model year run so I wonder if there is something different on the newer ones?
And I agree that I don't like the loss of a spare tire. While attending a funeral in a not so nice part of Detroit I had a flat and not being heavily armed was in a panic. Pulled over in a gas station and used the kit just as fast as I could. It actually worked perfectly and faster than changing a tire. Still would like to have the spare though!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've owned two 392s with the H-K system and am NOT a fan. Dodge must be on drugs charging $2,000 for it but, hey, we seem willing to put up with the crummy sound, the cheap plastic enclosure, the ugly styrofoam mounts, and the loss of spare tire space just to be able to get the Navigation.

Now, the H-K system on newer SRT models (i.e., 300 and Charger) is SUPERB, but the one in the Challenger seems to have been patched together over a weekend of heavy drinking.

To prove how worthless that boom box is, I removed it to make space for a spare tire kit and the loss of sound quality is BARELY NOTICEABLE!

BTW, I have that H-K subwoofer cluttering my garage. If any So Cal local wants it, you can have it for $50.

Cheers.
I cant understand why so much difference between our H.K.s Mine has so much base that it will make the windows in my house shake if I am listening to something that's supposed to have mega base. My wife has commented about that a couple of times in a not so favorable way if you know what I mean. Is it possible they ran out of the normal components and used something else in mine? It says Harmon Kardon on the speakers. I guess I should be thankful I got one of the few good ones.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I get a ton of bass on mine, too. That's not my issue --funny thing is, you can get nearly as much bass WITHOUT that boom box.

My complaint is the poor clarity at high frequencies, and the artificial sound of the mid-range; it just sounds cheap.

I can only speak for my Challengers: does the H-K sound better than the average factory system? YES. Does it sound like it is worth a $2,000 premium? HELL NO!!!

Reactions: PSM450

·
Registered
281 Posts
I get a ton of bass on mine, too. That's not my issue --funny thing is, you can get nearly as much bass WITHOUT that boom box.

My complaint is the poor clarity at high frequencies, and the artificial sound of the mid-range; it just sounds cheap.

I can only speak for my Challengers: does the H-K sound better than the average factory system? YES. Does it sound like it is worth a $2,000 premium? HELL NO!!!
I agree that $2000 or even the $1700 employee price seems a bit much. I felt the same way about the 10 speaker Alpine system in the 12 Ram. I remember the Bose system that I paid a lot for in my Camaro that was really, really bad. Could have got a better sounding system installed by a high school kid working part time at K-Mart.
That being said I wonder if part of the problem is with the head unit. Some songs are simply amazing sounding while others do seem to have an artificial tone to them like they cant be processed correctly. I listen to such a wide variety of music, some stuff from the 50s, that I attribute the poor sounding songs to the old poor quality recordings. For instance the ''tape hiss" comes thru much more on my system than the wife's 300c with the newer 8.4 radio. Maybe the Head Units in the Challengers are not a good match for the H.K. system and that's why it sounds better in the Charger and 300's. I am not an expert on this and am sure you are probably better qualified to comment than me. It will be interesting to see if the new 15 Challenger with the next gen head unit will sound any better if they have the same H.K. system in them.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
You should listen to the H-K system in a 300 SRT or Charger SRT...it will BLOW your mind... :D

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Maybe the Head Units in the Challengers are not a good match for the H.K. system and that's why it sounds better in the Charger and 300's. I am not an expert on this and am sure you are probably better qualified to comment than me. It will be interesting to see if the new 15 Challenger with the next gen head unit will sound any better if they have the same H.K. system in them.
The 300 and Charger SRTs use completely different set of speakers altogether. In fact, the Chrysler and Dodge sedans did away with that ugly boombox that takes up the spare tire space in our cars. The head units are probably different, too, since we still get the old units.

Whatever they did, the quality and clarity of sound in my 2012 300 SRT was FAR superior than anything I am able to listen in my Challenger.

I imagine Dodge will be updating the head unit and the speakers in the Challenger as soon as they get a chance. It is infuriating to be paying $2,000 for the sound setup we are getting.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts