Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was all set to have mine installed when I found out that by installing the Borla headers I'd have to have my catalytic converters removed. Has anyone found an part that allows for their installation and keeps the CC's intact? Ironically these parts are official Dodge part #'s, I figured they'd bolt right on up tp my dealer installed Borla exhaust system, I was incorrect. Some have told me to scrap the Borla's and to get a set of Kooks headers but before I do this I want to know for sure if that's the only option I have left. I even went so far as having these headers Jet Hot ceramic coated as well. As you can plainly see I have a sizable invest going in this direction. I've talked to Borla and they say they don't any elbows that would allow for the use of the cat's along with there headers. Someone told me Magnaflow does but didn't know if it would fit everything altogether.
So am I up the proverbial creek, or do you have any solutions regarding this dilemma of mine?
As always, thanks in advance! :scratchhead:

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
all long tube headers will push the ccs back but they dont have to come off altogether! unless you want to remove them

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response aarcuda. That's just it, I don't want to remove them at all. Believe me had I known about this i wouldn't have chosen them and be in the situation I find myself in. Someone said that the Magnaflow exhaust system does make an allowance for this by using an elbow. This combined with Kooks headers is very popular. I'm about ready to sell these headers if I don't find an answer to my questions regarding them. Any idea's?

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
i think youre misunderstanding me. or i am misunderstanding you. i have the ARH headers and they have midpipes that have high flow cats. the midpipe with the cats attach to my borla catback exhaust

if you get the kooks, the cats will be moved to the same position they are moved to with the ARH headers.

Are you saying Borla makes headers? And that their headers do not allow for cats? or are you talking about borla's catback exhaust system sold by Mopar????

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yep, that's what I'm up against. Talked to one person here locally who welds for a living and he has no problem taking off the cats to his car and running straight pipes until his car is up for inspection. He then reverses the process by reinstalling his cats in order to pass the state's smog test. I am not that guy and it seems to me like an awful amount of hassle to do this but that's my completely unbiased humble opinion on the matter.
The only 2 options I can see are, #1) have some elbows (pieces) custom made, fabricated. Yes very expensive, or #2) sell them at a deep discount to someone who doesn't have to worry about smog inspection wherever they live.
I'm not sure what Dodge's thinking was on this? Maybe this was before they came out with the drag packs & the like? I figured Borla exhaust system hooked up to Borla headers backed by the Dodge factory warranty, what could possibly go wrong? Apparently I chose wrongly.
So in conclusion can you see any other options other then the ones I've already outlined?
Thanks in advance!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts