Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going through the owners manual for the RBZ radio and it makes a reference to a "Parkview" backup camera if equipped. Does Chrylser make a backup camera that can just be plugged into the RBZ?

This is what it says:

Parkview Rear Back Up Camera (if equipped) When equipped with Parkview, the radio display
shows the rear view camera picture as soon as the shift
lever is in the R position for vehicles with automatic
transmission. In vehicles with manual transmission the
reverse gear must be engaged.
If available, you can disable the Parkview Rear Back Up
Camera feature by pressing the MENU hard-key, then
touching the System Setup soft-key and turning off the
Back Up Camera option.

I've looked into the lockpick, I don't really care about watching movies while I'm driving, I just want a backup camera. If there is a backup camera that works with the RBZ then I wouldn't have to buy the camera and the lockpick.

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
What I have gathered over the last week is unless its installed at the factory it is locked out and must be unlocked. What I don't know is if the dealer can unlock it after the camera is installed. I have the navigation version on your radio (RHB) and wanted the ability to enter addresses and such on the move as well as have the DVD available while in motion (I have two young boys) so I went ahead and ordered the LockPick (new v.4) and reverse camera.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
I was under the impression that the "camera" was a misprint and is not an option other then installing it yourself and using it via a LockPick.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Moparparts has a kit for the Ram(harness and all needed parts).After install,you have to have the dealer activate that accessory code.Worth checking it out to see if they have a kit for the Challenger........JB.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I have the RBZ and bought the older v.2 Lockpick which now sells for $179 and a $139 Boyo camera. Works great. After I bought the camera, I saw a red frame Boyo that was $70. I could have saved $70 since I don't think one needs the super wide angle camera.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the RBZ and bought the older v.2 Lockpick which now sells for $179 and a $139 Boyo camera. Works great. After I bought the camera, I saw a red frame Boyo that was $70. I could have saved $70 since I don't think one needs the super wide angle camera.
how difficult was it to route the wiring to the rear camera?

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Actually, it is a piece of cake. The rear camera is usually a license plate frame or it screws on to the license plate light. A short wire goes inside the trunk. Some of us are putting it through the air flap grid on the back of the car. Peel back the carpet and you can see it. Peel back the carpet to expose the battery and follow the wires up the right side of the car. The camera cord comes from the dash all the way back to the rear of the car. From the passenger side, lift out the back seat bottom. It comes straight up with no hook like the cars from the sixties, etc. Luckily, some guys before me wrestled with the back seat pushing it back and then trying to lift. When they found out how easily it comes up, they were amazed. So was I. I can't remember if I came from the front or the back. No big deal as you can pull the wire through the car like dental floss. You need to pull up the sill plate in the door. Watch the clips, I broke one of mine, but there were enough to keep it flat and snug when I put it back together. I'd take out the glove box. It comes out real easy. The engineers of today were the guys like me who worked on a car lot and cursed at all the convoluted ways they held the car together back in the sixties. A cord slides off the side that pulls tension on the box and then you push on one flange and the box falls right out. Goes back in easy, too. You need to pull the radio out to install the Lockpick. The only tricky part is aligning the radio back up to push it in. You wonder, how did it come out so easy and go in so hard. Kind of reminds me of, well, you know what. Or, are you a twenty year old? The rest you can figure out. I think the rear camera is slick.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually, it is a piece of cake. The rear camera is usually a license plate frame or it screws on to the license plate light. A short wire goes inside the trunk. Some of us are putting it through the air flap grid on the back of the car. Peel back the carpet and you can see it. Peel back the carpet to expose the battery and follow the wires up the right side of the car. The camera cord comes from the dash all the way back to the rear of the car. From the passenger side, lift out the back seat bottom. It comes straight up with no hook like the cars from the sixties, etc. Luckily, some guys before me wrestled with the back seat pushing it back and then trying to lift. When they found out how easily it comes up, they were amazed. So was I. I can't remember if I came from the front or the back. No big deal as you can pull the wire through the car like dental floss. You need to pull up the sill plate in the door. Watch the clips, I broke one of mine, but there were enough to keep it flat and snug when I put it back together. I'd take out the glove box. It comes out real easy. The engineers of today were the guys like me who worked on a car lot and cursed at all the convoluted ways they held the car together back in the sixties. A cord slides off the side that pulls tension on the box and then you push on one flange and the box falls right out. Goes back in easy, too. You need to pull the radio out to install the Lockpick. The only tricky part is aligning the radio back up to push it in. You wonder, how did it come out so easy and go in so hard. Kind of reminds me of, well, you know what. Or, are you a twenty year old? The rest you can figure out. I think the rear camera is slick.
sounds easy, much thanks

·
Registered
93 Posts
The camera option is not a misprint. That same radio is also used in the Jeep and Dodge SUV's which do have backup camera options. The challenger does not have any camera option. One is planned but it's a ways away. Any dealer can turn on the backup camera option in the radio with their programmer but it's hard to find one that will do it as they are trained not to do anything non-conforming. I am in the process of installing a camera - just starting it and I think I have someone willing to turn on the option. If everything goes right, I will post pictures of the process I went through as well as do my best to show the dealer programming it (if they let me watch). If I can't get the radio programmed - the only option left is a lockpick type device which overrides the radio setting.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
The camera option is not a misprint. That same radio is also used in the Jeep and Dodge SUV's which do have backup camera options. The challenger does not have any camera option. One is planned but it's a ways away. Any dealer can turn on the backup camera option in the radio with their programmer but it's hard to find one that will do it as they are trained not to do anything non-conforming. I am in the process of installing a camera - just starting it and I think I have someone willing to turn on the option. If everything goes right, I will post pictures of the process I went through as well as do my best to show the dealer programming it (if they let me watch). If I can't get the radio programmed - the only option left is a lockpick type device which overrides the radio setting.
What was the part number for the factory camera you're using?

The Mygig RER does not have video in as in a VGA connector. It plugs into the wiring harness as shown on this page:

http://mofv.com/mygig/MyGIGPinouts.htm

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Yup!

... but it's hard to find one that will do it as they are trained not to do anything non-conforming.
I hear ya. I haven't found a dealer yet to turn on my DRL.

If you get the lockpick, you don't have to have the dealer do anything. The lockpick does that for you. Plug-'N-Play. Just make sure you get the audio harness.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts