Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking for a long trip I would like to have a larger gas tank, but it just might not fit.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You already got damn near 20 gallons, how much bigger could you possibly need?
I have yet to take a long trip, and there are some long streatches of road with few gas stations along the way. For a 1000 mile trip there is one that has near 100miles of nothing. Just have to plan well ahead for it.

·
Registered
968 Posts
I hit some close calls myself on my break-in roadtrip. They told me it's best not to let it go below 1/8th tank for fuel pump reasons, so I cut it close a couple times; not to mention the possibility that you'll hit the only station for 50 miles and the highest octane is 89.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I can drive from NH to PA (~450) pretty comfortably. However, last trip down I got stuck in traffic with less than 30 miles to go, which cut it too close. We were dead stopped for almost an hour.

I think your best bet is to plan ahead and stop for gas any time you drop below a half a tank.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
Yes, just plan ahead. 100 miles of nothing isn't a problem unless you have less than 1/4 tank. :)

Also, our cars have two gas tanks. TMYK!

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I didn't know that. That's all. 2 14.5 gallon tanks?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Physically it's one tank, but it operates like two because of the design. Each side is connected at the top which allows pressure to equalize and then there's a crossover and auxiliary fuel pump that pumps fuel between the two sides.

·
Super Moderator
15,091 Posts
If you look at the underside - the tank goes from under the rear seat up to just ahead of the differential - not much room for a larger tank.

A lot of stuff packed in under the body.

Those black panels above the heat shields and mid-mufflers - that's the fuel tank - it straddles above the driveshaft:

·
Registered
391 Posts
Good idea but very limited space under these cars. Side note, driving from my house in Gastonia to Orlando is right at 550 miles... I got 498 miles on a full tank in my R/T. That was cutting it close!!!

·
Premium Member
9,212 Posts
Good idea but very limited space under these cars. Side note, driving from my house in Gastonia to Orlando is right at 550 miles... I got 498 miles on a full tank in my R/T. That was cutting it close!!!
I'd have to see 500 on the trip counter, that's just me.
Impressive mileage.

·
Premium Member
6,492 Posts
I'd have to see 500 on the trip counter, that's just me.
Impressive mileage.
Earlier this year I made 435 miles on a tank, my house in SoCal up to the SF Bay Area non-stop. I was impressed...ish. That was only about 23-24mpg on average, I used to get 28mpg on long drives when I was 100% stock.

·
Super Moderator
15,091 Posts
I got 502 mi - all highway drive and the low fuel light just turned on.

·
Registered
165 Posts
On a trip I like to top off at 1/2 tank.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I guess you could trade the spare tire for a tank. But then you would have a ford pinto in a rear end collision. Remember those?
I was driving my mother's 1972 pinto when I was 18, and was rear-ended TWICE in two weeks! First time, I stopped for a red light, and looked in the rear view mirror to see a woman driving a station wagon, who at the time, was looking into the back seat, not stopping her car. She smashed the little thin chrome bumper right down to the body and hatch door. Second time, I stopped for a stop sign and was hit from behind by a girl from my school, which we had both just left a few minutes before. The little bumper was really smashed into the body that time. No explosion, just my friend, who was in the car both times, saying, "What is it with you!"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts