Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a CORSA/MOPAR exhaust cat back system and then deleted the resonators?????

I can't find a video on Youtube that shows this modification. If you've done it and have a video...or not....I'd love to hear your opinion.

Also, I know that the whole point of buying the MOPAR exhaust is because of the resonators, since they have the no-drone technology, but I'm interested in hearing how they sound without them.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
http://www.dragtimes
1,899 Posts
it will drone like the stock mufflers do without resonators. Corsa resonators are a lot less restrictive than the stockers.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I've heard of people who have the system and cut out the muffler but keep the resonator

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it will drone like the stock mufflers do without resonators. Corsa resonators are a lot less restrictive than the stockers.
Are you speaking from experience?

I've heard of people who have the system and cut out the muffler but keep the resonator
Where have you seen that? Video link?

·
Registered
373 Posts
i don't have and video or links, I just know its been done by other members

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, what about deleting the mufflers and leaving the rear resonators? I would think this would help with the drone being the "no drone" technology is in the resonators.

·
Registered
637 Posts
A better choice would be to save a lot of cash and just use a six speed srt8 exhaust then get some resonator delete pipes.

Honestly from the back of the converters to the resonators the factory six speed exhausts are hard to improve on.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A better choice would be to save a lot of cash and just use a six speed srt8 exhaust then get some resonator delete pipes.

Honestly from the back of the converters to the resonators the factory six speed exhausts are hard to improve on.
Ok.....but how does this relate to my question about what the Corsa sport sounds like with with muffler or Reso deleted? How would it save me money when I already have the mopar exhaust system installed?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Are you speaking from experience?

Where have you seen that? Video link?
Yes, when I installed my corsa sport catback, I took off the stock system and put the corsa mufflers on without the resonators and it droned around 1700 RPM. I did the BB reso deletes on the stock system and it droned really bad. Put the corsa on and have been happy ever since with zero drone. I now am catless and although it is a ton louder, it still doesn't drone.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, when I installed my corsa sport catback, I took off the stock system and put the corsa mufflers on without the resonators and it droned around 1700 RPM. I did the BB reso deletes on the stock system and it droned really bad. Put the corsa on and have been happy ever since with zero drone. I now am catless and although it is a ton louder, it still doesn't drone.

What do you think about deleting the mufflers and leaving just the rear resonators? The resonators are what control the drone so I would guess that the system would be much louder but no drone. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the mopar system on my '12 rtc 6sp. When I first heard it in person I didn't like it. I walked to to the car which was running and said is it running. At idle it's more quiet than the stock system. I was more than disappointed with the sound. Did the reso delete and it finally got louder. It's still to quiet for my taste at normal throttle inside the car. Maybe I like drone. I've been standing next to it when it has taken off and if is much louder outside the car. Hang on gotta re read your post lost my train of thought.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
44 Posts
My advice is just unbolt the resonators and take a ride around the block and see how you like it. Just keep in mind if you do that and like it and you do like I did and then have pipe and tips fitted to finish it back out it will be just slightly more quiet on the inside since you will be sending the exhaust further out the back.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Ok.....but how does this relate to my question about what the Corsa sport sounds like with with muffler or Reso deleted? How would it save me money when I already have the mopar exhaust system installed?
It doesnt, it was just another option. But your right just hack up that expensive system and get an education from hindsight.

Your welcome.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It doesnt, it was just another option. But your right just hack up that expensive system and get an education from hindsight.

Your welcome.
Thanks for your condescending reply. I simply asked you a couple questions, no need to act like a.....

If I was going to simply hack my system up don't you think I would have done it by now? I'm trying to get as much information about my system as I can from other owners of the current system before I do anything.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My advice is just unbolt the resonators and take a ride around the block and see how you like it. Just keep in mind if you do that and like it and you do like I did and then have pipe and tips fitted to finish it back out it will be just slightly more quiet on the inside since you will be sending the exhaust further out the back.

Thanks for the reply. I'm a little confused though how you say it will be quieter by removing the resonators. I would think it would be much louder removing them... Maybe I'm missing something here.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I would say keep the stock mufflers, because they flow real good, unless you have a older car that has the single suitcase muffler. Then have a couple of medium size magnaflow mufflers installed in place of the restrictive resonators. Or do what I did, and get the magnaflow axle back kit that used your stock tips. There is no drone at all, and the car sounds great.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'm a little confused though how you say it will be quieter by removing the resonators. I would think it would be much louder removing them... Maybe I'm missing something here.

When you unbolt the resonators the exhaust then does not go all the way to the back of the car= good louder sound.

Putting a piece of pipe in place of the resonators = not quite as loud as the resonator delete test.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I would say keep the stock mufflers, because they flow real good, unless you have a older car that has the single suitcase muffler. Then have a couple of medium size magnaflow mufflers installed in place of the restrictive resonators. Or do what I did, and get the magnaflow axle back kit that used your stock tips as shown in the photo. There is no drone at all, and the car sounds great.
I should warn you the OP will not respond well to this.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
What do you think about deleting the mufflers and leaving just the rear resonators? The resonators are what control the drone so I would guess that the system would be much louder but no drone. Your thoughts?
I personally didn't try that but others have removed their mufflers and kept the resonators on. The Corsa resonators may be a little louder than the stock ones and may sound pretty good.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, so I decided to try out removing the mufflers under the cabin area and straight piping it to the Resonators and it sounds incredible!!!! NO DRONE at all at any RPM to boot! It sounds like these cars are supposed to sound now!

So in conclusion..... Mopar Exhaust system, aka Corsa Sport.... I deleted the mufflers and kept the resonators which is why I bought the system in the first place, so there would be zero drone and it sounds amazing. I had a buddy drive it down the street so I could hear it drive by and pull away and I was seriously impressed. I highly recommend this modification if you have this system. Another bonus was it's all bolt on and off so no cutting required.

Thanks for all the responses!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts