Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took my challenger to the dealer in October the triangle seals on the front of the passenger and driver door are taring, there is also a ripple / gap in the seal that goes between the door and the headliner on the drivers side. I also have a warped rear speaker lid and the front defrost vent is warped / makes a rice crispy snap crackle and pip when I turn or go over a bump.

I have stopped by the dealer numerous times to find out the status and they say they have some of the parts but not all of them, the reason I stop by is because the service adviser never returns my calls so I make it a point to stop in there and talk to him in person. I also left a message with the service manager and never heard back. When I stopped in today I was told that they are having issues getting the seales from the distributor etc. Is this normal? Should I just go to another dealer at this point or are they being honest. Only reason I go to this dealer is it is close to my house and where I purchased the car.

Anyone have any ideas on how to speed this up? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Are you requesting that the dealer give you the parts so you can install them yourself?

I thought warranty work had to be done by the service dept. Not sure why I thought that, but I did.

·
Premium Member
3,191 Posts
The dealer is probably telling you the truth. They'll make money on warranty repairs too so there's no reason to stall you. Also, my 2013 had the same nasty rough deteriorating material on those triangles at the window. If you'll notice that piece extends all the way around the door and up the rear of the door. It also has a long chunk that goes down inside the door in a channel. How do I know? I bought a pair because I didn't want the dealership tearing off my door panels. It took two or three months to get them so yes, there is a long wait for them. Interestingly, once I got them I figured it didn't matter if I screwed up the old ones so I got an idea to see what that stuff was on the triangle, and I took a green scotch pad and carefully "sanded" off that stuff. It turns out that it's some sort of coating probably due to a poor production process. The stuff actually came off by very carefully buffing until I just got down to the smooth shinny black rubber. It looks close enough to normal now that I didn't even install the new parts.

1,931 Posts
Probably telling the truth about part availability. Chrysler is on COD with many suppliers due to their past bankruptcy. Chrysler doesn't want to tie up $$ in inventory so they wait until they receive enough orders for a particular part to meet minimum order amounts.

This situation has vastly improved over time but still holds up many parts. I would go to another dealer though just because they wont take the time to call you back.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My service advisor was good at calling me back with the first few issues however not so much anymore. When I come in he says he is swamped with work which i do believe he always seems to be the only one out there even though there are 3 other advisers never to be seen.

I am having this done under warranty and am going to have them do the work, that's why I bought a new car with a warranty so i don't have to touch anything on it :). My seals are actually ripped where the glass comes up between the two sides and it lets small amounts of water in past it. I will give them 2 more weeks then go to the next town over.

I guess I am just used to the dealers having a warehouse full of parts.

·
Premium Member
3,632 Posts
I had the same seal on the left side replaced on my car last summer. I think it took about 4 weeks for the seal assembly to arrive, AFTER I waited 4 weeks for Chrysler to approve the warranty replacement. Now my seal on the right side is starting to crack and peel and turn greenish. Funny thing is they had a brand new SRT on the lot with the same seal problem. I mentioned it to the manager, and he didn't seem to give a hoot.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dealer finally got the parts in and installed all new seals. Only took a few months, I called Dodge and the dealer had the parts the next day.

Now if only they can get rid of the rice crispies in my dash when it gets cold out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts