Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I would like to install an oil cooler on my Challenger SRT8 and I was wondering if anyone else has installed one and how they like it. I know there's the Mopar Police Package oil cooler that would be a bolt-on, but I think I'd like to go with a more traditional oil-air cooler to keep the heat out of my radiator. I think I also would like to add a tranny cooler as well. Is there a location that is well-suited for mounting one or two coolers? How difficult is that area to access? What have others done? Thanks.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Here you go, DCR. It's all you want to know and more.

Frankencooler is Here. Modular Auxiliary Cooling For The 5.7/6.1 - LX Forums | Dodge Charger Challenger Magnum | SRT8 | Chrysler 300 Forum

I took this information and I'm doing my own thing. I've got a big honking custom rad made by one of the guys on the LX for road racing. His handle is joelvan and the price is right and capacity unbelievable. Compare it to the Stack Performance one for $800 (which is smaller....hello!). Now I've got a separate oil cooling setup in my garage I'll install shortly....earl's stacked cooler, -10AN lines, running to a earl's billet oil filter adapter sandwich style jobbie (goes between the block and the oil filter allowing the hoses to run the oil up to the stacked cooler in the nose section, ahead of the rad and ac condenser). It's the Meister Variant.

Note that I don't use the Police oil cooler since I won't need it and I'm not a fan of dumping the heat into the radiator, but that's just me and Matt Robertson may well have something to add on this front.

Good luck.

HemiSam

·
Registered
9,664 Posts
On a "stock" motor, the only reason an oil cooler is "needed" is for extended idling, just like cop cars.

Can't see any benefit for a street driven car that's stock.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here you go, DCR. It's all you want to know and more.

Frankencooler is Here. Modular Auxiliary Cooling For The 5.7/6.1 - LX Forums | Dodge Charger Challenger Magnum | SRT8 | Chrysler 300 Forum

I took this information and I'm doing my own thing. I've got a big honking custom rad made by one of the guys on the LX for road racing. His handle is joelvan and the price is right and capacity unbelievable. Compare it to the Stack Performance one for $800 (which is smaller....hello!). Now I've got a separate oil cooling setup in my garage I'll install shortly....earl's stacked cooler, -10AN lines, running to a earl's billet oil filter adapter sandwich style jobbie (goes between the block and the oil filter allowing the hoses to run the oil up to the stacked cooler in the nose section, ahead of the rad and ac condenser). It's the Meister Variant.

Note that I don't use the Police oil cooler since I won't need it and I'm not a fan of dumping the heat into the radiator, but that's just me and Matt Robertson may well have something to add on this front.

Good luck.

HemiSam
Thanks for the link, HemiSam. MattRobertson did an extensive write up and that gives me a good basis for ideas. I agree with you with the Police Package cooler. I already have to pay attention to the temperature gauge when I'm doing track days in the Summer (running the heater helps). So adding heat to it would be counterproductive, also ineffective if the coolant is also running hot. A bigger radiator is also in my plans, and I didn't know of an alternative to the Stack Performance unit, so thanks for sharing that.

·
Banned
4,698 Posts
Most welcome, DCR. My car ran hot when I pushed it here in Houston, before my mods. After the mods, it would definitely get hotter than I like. The rad on an R/T is a joke and for some reason on the Challenger we get a single fan whereas a Charger gets a dual setup like the SRT8's. Go figure. Not a problem any longer...

Most on here go fast and straight for a short period. Kinda like a high school date ;-) Road racing is hard on a girl...

HemiSam

·
Registered
289 Posts
Oil cooler

I had my dealer install the Mopar police cooler on my SRT over a year ago, so far no issues....

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had my dealer install the Mopar police cooler on my SRT over a year ago, so far no issues....
Do you also have a 180° thermostat or is it still stock? If stock, your radiator should handle the extra heat from the oil/water heat exchanger. With 180°, the radiator may not have enough volume to keep the water temps to the desired ~180°. Of course, since I haven't done that mod, this is only speculation. :) Have you monitored your oil temps with your EVIC before while driving, either normal driving or hard driving? I get oil temps around 203°-205° under normal driving conditions (I have 180° t-stat), and up to 255° while driving hard. Just curious.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Do you also have a 180° thermostat or is it still stock? If stock, your radiator should handle the extra heat from the oil/water heat exchanger. With 180°, the radiator may not have enough volume to keep the water temps to the desired ~180°. Of course, since I haven't done that mod, this is only speculation. :) Have you monitored your oil temps with your EVIC before while driving, either normal driving or hard driving? I get oil temps around 203°-205° under normal driving conditions (I have 180° t-stat), and up to 255° while driving hard. Just curious.
I have a 180 tstat, I maintain about 208-210 normal driving and a few hours on the highway, thats in over 100 deg ambiant air temps her in the hot Louisiana summer. I have seen about 230 on the drag strip after multiple passes.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
What are your oil change intervals like?

·
Registered
289 Posts
What are your oil change intervals like?
I usually change my oil after my light goes off, around 4K or so, or 3K and some hard driving after the track.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts