Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've driven a manual transmission before, but I've never owned one,so I'm not that great at it. I'm thinking of buying a 2015 challenger RT and getting it with a manual transmission. I live in SW Florida, with very little traffic and wide open roads, so I'm not worried about it being my daily driver. For those of you who have a manual transmission in your challenger, what do you think about someone "learning" to drive stick in one?

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I learned to drive a stick 20 years ago in a mazda RX7 and my friends C10 truck. I hadn't driven a standard since then until I bought my R/T but I knew I had to have it to get that true muscle car feel. That said, it was easy to jump in and drive, clutch is nice and easy and shifts smooth. I personally don't think you'll have any problems learning to drive stick for the first time.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I taught my teenage son to drive my SRT8 392 M6 and the tranny/clutch survived all the stalling and grinding. So just take it easy and have fun with it. I tried to stress to my son that my car is like a big woman, you have to be gentle with her or she will kick your ass. :hitit:

Reactions: TrevorD

·
Registered
84 Posts
You should be fine. Our 6m is very strong so damage is doubtful as long as you don't do anything stupid. Until the Challenger gets a really cool AT, manual is the best way to enjoy the capability of it. IMHO

·
Registered
413 Posts
It'd be very easy, plenty of power and fuel injection that is commanded to maintain a specific idle speed makes the car very easy to drive. Very easy to start from a dead stop with zero throttle input. PLUS it has hill-hold which applies a bit of brakes to hold the car on a hill while you start out.

DO IT!!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Piece of cake.

I've driven everything from a 35 Nash to a 60s IHC dump truck to the Challenger. The Challenger has one of the most forgiving clutches of any of them. Every clutch, every stick is different anyways.

I think I stalled the R/T once since I've owned it.

Best thing of all about the M6 is no MDS.

Shockwave

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
You should be fine. Our 6m is very strong so damage is doubtful as long as you don't do anything stupid. Until the Challenger gets a really cool AT, manual is the best way to enjoy the capability of it. IMHO
Doubt it'll have anything other then a German trans ever, Mercedes/ZF is it for now...but I hear ya, a indestructibly built 48RE would suffice nicely if you address it's weak areas

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I keep wrestling with this decision. I had driven a stick once about 15 years ago (an ex g/f of mine had a '99 Cavalier Z24, and she called me from a friends house drunk off her butt and needed me to drive her home in her car....I was "encouraged" :smokin: to oblige). So there was 6'4 me learning to work the clutch in a tiny Cavalier while the ex was beside me taking off....well...this is a family friendly site (did I mention she "encouraged" me to help her out).

I didn't try it again until about two months ago when I decided my next car would be a Challenger. Since May, I've driven my Dad's truck ('08ish F150 with a 5-speed) a couple of times, and my buddies '14 Wrangler (6-speed) once. Last time I drove the truck, I only killed it once (for being a full size truck, there's surprisingly little leg room in it)....but for some reason I kept killing my buddies Wrangler.

My biggest concern is commuting from Kokomo to Indianapolis (about 40 miles of open highway) in the snow with a 6-speed this winter. Obviously I'm going to be investing in a good set of Blizzak's (or some other brand of Winter Tires) for it...just not sure about driving a stick on the snow and ice.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Get a skip shift eliminator !

Just picked up a 2014 SRT in manual, trading in my 2011 (both manual) and have
yet to install the skip shift eliminator in the new one so it still irritates me occasionally.
(5 of my last 6 cars have been stick)

Hill start assist is a bonus for the novice manual driver but the skip shift is one headache
I would hate to have irritating me if a six speed was new to me. Consider getting the eliminator
immediately.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
yet to install the skip shift eliminator in the new one so it still irritates me occasionally.

Hill start assist is a bonus for the novice manual driver but the skip shift is one headache
I would hate to have irritating me if a six speed was new to me. Consider getting the eliminator
immediately.
What is a "Skip Shift Eliminator" and why would want it (or not want it)?

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
If you can't drive a 6M Challenger I'd be totally surprised. Easiest manual I've ever driven.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
What is a "Skip Shift Eliminator" and why would want it (or not want it)?
At certain speeds in first gear if you try to shift into second you won't be able to. It's a fuel economy gimmick but a total PITA especially pulling out onto a road and suddenly... WTF! and by the time you get it into third or fourth you'll be feeling like a total klutz, something no Challenger driver ever wants to experience.

More info in your Owners Manual.

·
Registered
413 Posts
At certain speeds in first gear if you try to shift into second you won't be able to. It's a fuel economy gimmick but a total PITA especially pulling out onto a road and suddenly... WTF! and by the time you get it into third or fourth you'll be feeling like a total klutz, something no Challenger driver ever wants to experience.

More info in your Owners Manual.

Yet another item I have not run across in the manual, and yet another that has me wondering if my car has had a tuner hooked to it at one time. I have done my best to match up the parameters to induce the skip-shift and i can't get it to do it for the life of me.
Where is the eliminator installed??

·
Registered
9,457 Posts
Yet another item I have not run across in the manual, and yet another that has me wondering if my car has had a tuner hooked to it at one time. I have done my best to match up the parameters to induce the skip-shift and i can't get it to do it for the life of me.

Where is the eliminator installed??

Here you go. Best $25 you'll ever spend.
Text Line Auto part Diagram Font

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
223 Posts

immediately.
I think that's a great piece of advice. In our M6 transmissions, there is a solenoid which forces you to go from 1st to 4th gear under light acceleration. I don't know what the exact parameters are that trigger it, but seems to be under light acceleration and maybe 3,000 RPM or slightly less. So, You're in 1st gear, accelerating lightly, then you want to shift to 2nd gear(of course). The skip shift kicks in and all of the sudden, you're like "WTF" .....It's forcing you to go directly to 4th!!! I think it's put in there for fuel economy but it's pretty ridiculous. Someone fairly new to manual transmissions would likely trigger it more often. A "skip shift eliminator" is inexpensive and should be an easy install. I hardly ever seem to trigger it so I haven't installed mine.
Speedlogix Skip Shift Eliminator 6-Speed 09-14 Challenger, 03-08 Viper

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Yet another item I have not run across in the manual
Have you downloaded the entire PDF manual? The printed one that comes with the car is just basic safety and operating instructions.

·
Premium Member
7,322 Posts
. . . what do you think about someone "learning" to drive stick in one?
No problem at all. Go for it. It's a lot easier than when I learned on an International Scout (304, 3-speed manual).

·
Registered
397 Posts
I learned to drive stick in my car. Sure it is my baby but I also know dodge made these things to last so a couple of weeks as a rookie didn't hurt the car. I say go for it and it will be fun to get those early miles in teaching yourself. I learned by watching youtube videos showing the clutch movement and had the basics down in a week and was driving the car in the wild shortly after that. Good luck!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Learned to drive stick in 1975 and have owned a manual trans vehicle of some sort most of the years since. The M6 in the challenger is very easy to drive and the hill assist will ease the #1 worry of novice manual drivers have....of rolling backwards into something.

So my advice is go for it, find an empty parking lot with a minor incline and practice holding on the hill and enjoy! there is just something about rowing you own gears that is very satisfying!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.