Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone made use of the rear deck 8" sub hole as a vent?

From stock my hole is covered by sound deadening material to seal it off the trunk from cabin.

Was wondering if anyone had thoughts of using or has used this 8" Subwoofer hole to their advantage when having a subwoofer box in the trunk. Would it increase the base response in the cabin or hurt it, or not do anything at all by just leaving it wide open?

I also have an 8" passive radiator. Anyone have any thoughts on if installing it in the hole would accomplish anything?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If I don't get a response, I'll probably do a little playing around with the 8" passive radiator, without it and open hole, and sealed to see if there are any improvements at all. I have a feeling, since I researched it here and found nothing, that nobody has tried it, or post anything about it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Are you talking about just leaving the hole open to allow bass to play through? or actually fabricating a port tube from a box to use it as port for the box? Sealing the hole off is hurting your in cabin bass response, I have no rear speakers in my car and my entire shelf is sound deadened except for those holes to allow for better in cabin bass response.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you talking about just leaving the hole open to allow bass to play through? or actually fabricating a port tube from a box to use it as port for the box? Sealing the hole off is hurting your in cabin bass response, I have no rear speakers in my car and my entire shelf is sound deadened except for those holes to allow for better in cabin bass response.
Just leaving it open was my thought. I still will have the 6.5" speakers, but I don't have an 8" sub in the center (didn't come with car), it's covered by sound deadening material to seal it. Was wondering if opening that hole would help with the bass response from the trunk before playing around with it myself..

I have an 8" passive radiator from a blown subwoofer box I'm not using or probably ever will. I wonder if that would make any difference in response.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you add the factory 8" sub that goes there if you get SGII? Is the wring there for the factory sub? If so if you plugged it in would the radio detect it?
No, the wiring is not there. If it were sound group 2 (8 speaker) with the center sub, of course it would be. But if it did not come stock with that speaker, they do not add that harness.

If you do have that system, you can swap the stock sub for a better one. I have seen people say what a big difference it makes.

Mine is a 6 speaker set up, so it does not have extra wiring as well, but the body has the extra center hole

1 - 6 of 6 Posts