Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car will get delivered next week and it will come with these wheels. I want to paint them black but I have searched the web to see if someone has painted these but so far no luck. Wanted to see how they would look before painting them.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT
103 Posts
I painted mine with plastidip. I sprayed about 5 coats on without removing wheels from the car. I used plastic bags to wrap around brake rotors and calipers. After coats dried, I sprayed with two coats of Plastidip Satinizer. Without the Satinizer I noticed grease stains and other types of stains on the wheels. After it was all said and done, it was really durable, a few touchups here and there, but remarkably durable. Have since replaced my wheels with the matte black Hellcat wheels.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no way in hell would I paint those black..but hey thats just me. Great looking design on those wheels.
If I could get anyone to trade me the blacktop wheels for these ones, I would let them go in a heartbeat. I wanted the blacktop package but got the Plus instead.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I painted mine with plastidip. I sprayed about 5 coats on without removing wheels from the car. I used plastic bags to wrap around brake rotors and calipers. After coats dried, I sprayed with two coats of Plastidip Satinizer. Without the Satinizer I noticed grease stains and other types of stains on the wheels. After it was all said and done, it was really durable, a few touchups here and there, but remarkably durable. Have since replaced my wheels with the matte black Hellcat wheels.
What he said...and it's reversible...

·
Registered
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101
263 Posts
View attachment 980962 My car will get delivered next week and it will come with these wheels. I want to paint them black but I have searched the web to see if someone has painted these but so far no luck. Wanted to see how they would look before painting them.
It might be worth advertising those rims in the FORUM classifieds and mentioned that you would like to trade them for ones that are black.

You never know, you may want find someone that wants to ditch the black and go back to the original look.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It might be worth advertising those rims in the FORUM classifieds and mentioned that you would like to trade them for ones that are black.

You never know, you may want find someone that wants to ditch the black and go back to the original look.
Problem is, that I am currently living in Italy and the amount of Challengers here is pretty limited. I will try to post in the classified and see if someone wants to trade.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Problem is, that I am currently living in Italy and the amount of Challengers here is pretty limited. I will try to post in the classified and see if someone wants to trade.
That might make the logistics a little more interesting.

If you like the style but just want them Blacked out or Black Chrome, these guys can hook you up.

BLACK

BLACK CHROME

They ship you the same rims that are already blemish free and painted with their PVD Coating, you ship your old set back to them in their prepaid boxes)

Worked out great for my black chrome SRT Rims.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,341 Posts
How are your rattle can skills? Clean them good, clean with alcohol. Hit them with adhesion promoter, and paint em up! Few coats of color, then several coats of clear. Sand smooth if needed, and polish.

OR

Have a local paint shop do it. As long as there is some prep, paint should last, many OEM wheels are just painted

A Guy

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
So I had a 2013 RT Blacktop with black rims. I must have ran over some type of acid on the road but short story my rear driver side wheel's paint was discolored. I decided to take a stab at repainting them vs. paying about $300 for a shop to do it. I've attached the pics so you can judge for yourself but after I completed, it looked better then the OEM paint. Also, I used 3 coat of epoxy paint which I didn't have to worry about what I used to clean the rims anymore. I decided to do the rest of them since. One every week In addition, the inner wheel was never fully painted from factory so I also painted the inner wheel.

·
Registered
79 Posts
i still havent painted my hyper silver rims yet, was going for satin black but at night an all black tinted out challenger with the silver wheels looks damn good.
but during the day, black wheels looks good, hard to decide.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Have you considered a black chrome? That might give you the best of both worlds.

That's what I decided to do with my SRT rims.

20190810_122726.jpg

20190810_113544.jpg

20190725_185201.jpg

20190810_120001.jpg

I had mine done through Detroit Wheel and Tire. They offer an exchange program where they have your wheel design in stock and they send you the new rims, you send back your old ones to get your core deposit returned.

I am very happy with the outcome. and I originally thought I too wanted to make mine black so I'm glad I went this route instead.

I think these are the same as your rims, if they're not you can do another search using your vehicle in a year and looks you all their options.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts