Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am set on buying a new 2011 Challenger V6 Rallye edition in Redline 3 paint and I also want the Rallye Group package (the 18" wheels, spoiler and stripes) I was hoping to be able to just delete the stripes, as I do NOT want them anywhere close to my car, yet all of the dealers have told me I'm out of luck. They've told me the only thing I can do is to order the car with everything I want and then after the factory, at their dealership, they can have their body shop guys remove the stripes with a heat gun.

Has anyone removed their stripes from the car and if so how did it turn out? Anyone remove them from the Redline 3 paint color, was it affected?

For $34g and $1000 just for the Redline 3 paint color, I don't want these dumb stripes to have any effect on it once they are removed such as less shine or possible warping of the adjacent paint as it was superheated to remove the sticker stripes.

Does anyone know if Dodge is contacted, they could find a way to not have the Rallye group stripes even put on my car during the build? For a $26g car base price and adding in another 20% for options, I simply can not fathom Why a V6 Rallye Edition owner can NOT choose to have no stripes on their car yet get the spoiler/18" painted-polished aluminum wheels......

What do the 18" Rallye wheels cost if I was to just buy them in additon to my car?

Thanks a lot,
Frozen

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had my car for a few weeks before I added rally stripes to it. I had to remove the factory stripes first and I had the same concerns as you do. However, there was NO problem with removing the stripes with a heat gun. You are only getting the old factory stripes soft and pliable for removal and that doesn't take but a few seconds. No damage to my paint (deepwater blue pearl). Easy removal for sure. Just peel them right off in one piece.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I removed my R/T Classic side stripes, without a heat gun. Just parked in the sun. If anything, I think I'd use a hair dryer instead of a heat gun.

Turned out great. Just tiny bit of adhesive left over in just a few spots. Rubbed it off with fingers. Couldn't even tell they were there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know, this still scares me given it's a brand new car and with the fancy paint color and such.....I still can't believe that you can't simply choose to not get them on it in the first place.....

thanks for the input, hopefully a few more people will add similar comments as well

and with that RT car the guy posted above, how long were the stripes on before you took them off?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I removed my whisker stripes 6 months after I had it.
I used a hair dryer to warm them and pulled them off.
There were no issues getting them off and no markings where they had been.
I really don't care for stripes it takes so much away from the body lines which make the Challenger so Unique from any other cars.

·
Registered
89 Posts
...and with that RT car the guy posted above, how long were the stripes on before you took them off?
About a month or so. Well, a month or so after the car was delivered... The stripes went on about 3 weeks prior to that.

And yeah, it would have been nice to have a stripe delete.... after ordering it, it was difficult having to wait for it, and part of that wait was for the stripes to be put on.

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
386 Posts
The white Classic stripes had been on my Furious Fuchsia R/T for 4 months in sunny Hawaii.

I removed them by wiping them down in hot water, starting the edge with a credit card, and pulling it away at a very acute angle.

Whenever I washed and waxed afterwards, I could still see the faint outline of the stripes--but it went away after buffing out the wax. Until I used the three step wax process, Paint Cleaner - Sealer/Glaze - Wax, the stripe outlines would still be visible when waxing. I credit the Paint Cleaner to finally removing all traces of the stripes whatsoever.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I even called Dodge today and the guy said the same thing...I told him that this is outrageous to not have an option for people who want the wheels/spoiler upgrades yet want to keep their car looking classy and clean........I just don't want to see those faint outline of the stripes the one guy got, but then they were probably baked on from the hot/sunny weather of the aloha state....

66Charger, so the only way you got rid of them forever was with paint cleaner??? Have you seen any effects from it on the paint job? That sucks that they couldn't just disappear for you after an initial wash and wax...

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
386 Posts
After I removed mine there was absolutely no visible or felt residue. I even took rubbing alcohol to it just in case. When WAX WAS APPLIED, you could still see the ghost lines--this is the ONLY time I could see any type of trace from my removed stripes! It went away after buffing the wax out.

Frozenman, the paint cleaner is just used a couple times a year at the most, just like a clay bar. It's non-abrasive and not like a scratch remover.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I second dwkmi's idea. Sheet metal after a half hour or so in full sun makes the stripes plenty pliable. All I did was start the edge with a fingernail, and made sure to go slow. Had the stripes off before the engine could cool from the ride home back from the dealership.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
your best bet is to spend the $20 at walmart on a heat gun. after like 20 seconds of heating it you should use something plastic to peel it up. as soon as you get a corner the whole thing comes off.
The best product you could use for the adhesive is rapid remover. but if the vinyl has been on for a few months though itll take a few washes to get the outline of it off.

·
Registered
89 Posts
your best bet is to spend the $20 at walmart on a heat gun. after like 20 seconds of heating it you should use something plastic to peel it up. as soon as you get a corner the whole thing comes off.

So it's only about $20 for the added risk of blistering/discoloring the paint? ok, I'm in. :notallthere:

A number of people have posted that it can be done easily without a heat gun, so why take the additional risk?

Sure that pellet gun will kill the squirrel, but your best bet is to spend the money on a .50 caliber long range sniper rifle. :scratchhead:

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
I ran a shop for years where we removed striping from police cars and other vehicles. A heat gun won't hurt the paint if used properly. It will burn fingers though. The quicker you remove newly installed striping the easier the job.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I really hate the new 392 stripes. I'm struggling with the choice of whether to order a black 392 with the stripe delete or just getting it with the stripes and removing them. Since I only drive in the summers, I'm afraid to order it now after hearing that it is highly unlikely I get the car in 6-8 weeks. A local dealer told me they could remove the stripes for me so I'm leaning towards letting them do it so if I see any trace before I buy it. Does anyone know if people are getting their 392 orders any quicker now?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts