Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking at all the cat-backs threads and looked at just about every video on youtube a man could look at. Either folks changed their entire cat-back or did the resonator deletes and keep their stock mufflers or installed FM 44's, Magnas,Borla,etc.

Now some of the stock mufflers with resonator deletes sound really good and I like it ,but everyone one them said something about drone noise. I have an auto.

I was wondering if the stock mufflers sound good, how would it sound if I just replace the stock resonators with Flowmaster Resonators ? I'm sure it wouldn't be any drone,but will it have a muscle car sound. Not to loud but a deep tone. Has anyone done this yet ? Thanks in advance :)

·
Premium Member
2016 Hellcat Challenger
2,380 Posts
Pitboss

the best sound for the buck is pull the mufflers and replace with straight pipe and leave your resonators on and you will have 0 drone and when the auto switches to 4 cyl mode you will hardly be able to tell. Inside the car will be quite but you will know you just opened the beast behind you. Cruising is very nice and when you stomp the peddle you will hear pure music and still no drone.

Reactions: ilikef150s

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Curry! I seen a video on here with that set-up this morning. I couldn't believe how good it sound!! :) :)

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I've been looking at all the cat-backs threads and looked at just about every video on youtube a man could look at. Either folks changed their entire cat-back or did the resonator deletes and keep their stock mufflers or installed FM 44's, Magnas,Borla,etc.

Now some of the stock mufflers with resonator deletes sound really good and I like it ,but everyone one them said something about drone noise. I have an auto.

I was wondering if the stock mufflers sound good, how would it sound if I just replace the stock resonators with Flowmaster Resonators ? I'm sure it wouldn't be any drone,but will it have a muscle car sound. Not to loud but a deep tone. Has anyone done this yet ? Thanks in advance :)
The stock mufflers are good. Just replace the resonators with 11366 magnaflow mufflers, and you will have a nice sounding system that flows nice, with no drone. FM's will be drone city.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The stock mufflers are good. Just replace the resonators with 11366 magnaflow mufflers, and you will have a nice sounding system that flows nice, with no drone. FM's will be drone city.
Ok cool. I will check on those mufflers. I do have another question . Would having 4 mufflers hurt performance or lose bottom end ,mid-range power ? Would my exhaust be to restricted ?

I don't know much about "back pressure" ,but it's a term I've seen on here right much concerning our cars. Again thanks for any and all advice . :)

·
Registered
583 Posts

I had the same issue, I want the muscle car sound, but no drone.
I now can have my cake and eat it to! I installed electronic exhaust cutoffs.
With a flick of a switch I can go from pure quiet to the open header sound, and anything in between.
There are many cutoffs out there, I went with race ready performance on both my 2014 shaker eta

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Ok cool. I will check on those mufflers. I do have another question . Would having 4 mufflers hurt performance or lose bottom end ,mid-range power ? Would my exhaust be to restricted ?

I don't know much about "back pressure" ,but it's a term I've seen on here right much concerning our cars. Again thanks for any and all advice . :)
The stock mufflers are a straight through open design just like the magnaflows. You can look straight through them. So there is hardly and back pressure from them, unlike other types of baffled mufflers. The stock resonators have a fair amount of restriction to the exhaust flow. And a little back pressure is good for low and mid range performance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts