Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am curious if an R/T hood has enough height to clear a hellcat supercharger? Has anyone tried this swap before? I know its usually the other way around with people putting the more aggressive-looking Hellcat hoods on their cars, but I'm trying to determine if it will work the other way around before going to the junkyard and dropping $400 on a used hood just to test it.

·
Registered
2011 SXT
2,904 Posts
There is a guy in a Local Car Club that did that to his Hellcat but I could not tell if he modified it but he did that to keep a more Stealth look to his Hellcat and removed all the Badging.

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,421 Posts
the question is..why? :unsure:
Dodge spent alot of time, effort, research, testing & $$ into that hood design - specific for what the hellcat needs in regards to air in / air out, its far from simply looking more agressive..those heat extractors and forward positioned center scoop are there for very good reason. The R/T hood design has very limited "flow" by comparision.
Seems like a backwards move in several ways.

Reactions: SFCR

·
Registered
2011 RT Classic Bright White
30 Posts
I am curious if an R/T hood has enough height to clear a hellcat supercharger? Has anyone tried this swap before? I know its usually the other way around with people putting the more aggressive-looking Hellcat hoods on their cars, but I'm trying to determine if it will work the other way around before going to the junkyard and dropping $400 on a used hood just to test it.
I’ll swap you.. let me know when your here. Just honk.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the question is..why? :unsure:
Dodge spent alot of time, effort, research, testing & $$ into that hood design - specific for what the hellcat needs in regards to air in / air out, its far from simply looking more agressive..those heat extractors and forward positioned center scoop are there for very good reason. The R/T hood design has very limited "flow" by comparision.
Seems like a backwards move in several ways.
This answer will likely only inspire more questions but here goes: It is because the GMC 6-71 Supercharger I am mating to the top clamshell of my existing Hellcat supercharger requires a large penetration to be cut through the hood for clearance and the R/T hood with its flatter profile would work better aesthetically. There ya go.

·
Premium Member
10,510 Posts
This answer will likely only inspire more questions but here goes: It is because the GMC 6-71 Supercharger I am mating to the top clamshell of my existing Hellcat supercharger requires a large penetration to be cut through the hood for clearance and the R/T hood with its flatter profile would work better aesthetically. There ya go.
Pictures please when it’s done!

·
Registered
2018 Hellcat. 2017 Scatpack.
2,421 Posts
I do not think you will gain any added clearance swapping hods, center 'bulge" on both hoods appear to be very close in hieght.
Perhaps the demon hood may be better suited ( dont have one handy to check, sorry) and I do recall seeing an aftermarket version that had more built in clearance.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,425 Posts
I do not think you will gain any added clearance swapping hods, center 'bulge" on both hoods appear to be very close in hieght.
Perhaps the demon hood may be better suited ( dont have one handy to check, sorry) and I do recall seeing an aftermarket version that had more built in clearance.
One thing I noticed right away after moving from my Hellcat to my Scat Pack is I saw "less" hood when looking out the Scat Pack windshield. That Hellcat hood may not look like it but it has some "bulge" in it to clear the supercharger.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack M6
126 Posts
Bob, where do you live and what color car do you have? I think local members with R/T's may be open to trade. I know I would.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
28,076 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Challenger R/T Plus 8 Speed
8,698 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
BOB.....I never saw a location for you.......I've got a stock '09 Deep Water Blue hood taking up space in my wellhouse. I'm in southern Illinois, so you figure out if it's close enough to you to use.....(I replaced it with an early T/A hood and probably won't ever put it back on....) We can work out a good price.....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BOB.....I never saw a location for you.......I've got a stock '09 Deep Water Blue hood taking up space in my wellhouse. I'm in southern Illinois, so you figure out if it's close enough to you to use.....(I replaced it with an early T/A hood and probably won't ever put it back on....) We can work out a good price.....
Sounds like just what I am looking for, alas am in Floridia though. Were I closer I would definitely discuss, but thanks for the offer!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.