Registered
2010 R/T
27 Posts
Reactions: Unicorn

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am already gonna order a black one ....I'm thinking of tinting the chrome one....I'll probably experiment anyway...was really wondering if someone had already done it and had pics...thanks for info :)

·
Registered
2010 R/T
27 Posts
I am already gonna order a black one ....I'm thinking of tinting the chrome one....I'll probably experiment anyway...was really wondering if someone had already done it and had pics...thanks for info :)
Ah, update with pics after you do it, would be interested to see the results.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,753 Posts
If you are looking for a "black chrome" look, I could see that. Use light coats, and not too close it's very thin/runny. Light coats built up will (hopefully) keep it even, and let you work up to the level of blackness you want

A Guy

·
Registered
83 Posts
I ordered one of the matte/satin black OEM fuel doors and have it on my Challenger now but I also kept the stock chrome one but on a similar note I plan to eventually try and paint the chrome one PX8 Black to try and match the body of the car because I want to see how that looks.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,753 Posts
Dupli-color has one they call Shadow Chrome

·
Premium Member
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101
307 Posts
don't they make a black chrome one?

If anyone finds one already and black chrome please let me know.

I've looked all over the place for one to match my black chrome rims. Closest I came was a place that would do the coating for me but said it would probably cause issues with is operation.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,788 Posts
Before I found a Great deal on a used OEM matte black door, I plastidipped mine to make sure that's what I wanted before buying it. I took the door off and cleaned it up really well and then sprayed it with six coats of matte black plastidip. II ended up liking it, so I waited for a deal on a mint new one and bought it. They are cheaper now though.

I also experimented with some matte clear plastidip to see if I liked the toned down chrome look, but liked the matte black better. Now, I have three fuel doors to mess around with, in case I want to try something else. I also thought about a Granite to match our Challenger too and also trying to get a color to match the Hyper black SRT wheels too.

Your idea of black chrome would probably look Really nice though. I like your thinking and Please let us know if you try it and how it turns out.

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
don't they make a black chrome one?
If anyone finds one already and black chrome please let me know.

I've looked all over the place for one to match my black chrome rims. Closest I came was a place that would do the coating for me but said it would probably cause issues with is operation.
Never mind, brain fart, gloss black not black chrome....

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Plus - Billet Clearcoat
357 Posts
If you're wanting to black out your fuel door, I would recommend purchasing a black fuel door. OEM black fuel doors are quite expensive from MOPAR, but if you buy an aftermarket brand on amazon or ebay you can get them for around $50. Here is an example, I bought one similar to this. Amazon.com: Fuel Gas Door Vapor Edition Matte Black Fit for 2008-2019 Dodge Challenger Fuel Filler Door 68250120AA: Automotive
Got mine for $32 on eBay and when i had my spoiler painted satin black, i had them spray the fuel door as well to match since it was matte. Of course i had them tape off the center emblem

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think it looks pretty damn good. I was taking mine in to get wrapped the same time I get my tail lights tinted. But I might ask him to spray it instead.

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,761 Posts
I ...ahem forgot to tape off center area lol whoops...I was too late into process when I realized
Might be able to strip it with thinner, but that might ruin the FUEL emblem. BUT there are 3rd party center emblems available.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I’m bringing my stuff in for tinting tomorrow. Is there anything special you did to prep your fuel door? And what product did you use?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts