Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
I think RWD is the only way to go just my 0.02. we dont want to suffer like them evos off a highway roll race you know.. hehe. that would be something new tough.

·
Registered
159 Posts
ekool said:
I think it would be neat to offer AWD as an option. I have not heard it as a rumor tho, just entirely me hoping :)
Would be a nice option perhaps, but I think for the target market it may only be a draw to those that live in Montana or Northern Idaho..oops, almost forgot the Florida folks that seem to be driving through the deep water more and more each year....ok, nevermind - there might be enough of a market!:p

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
ChriSRT-4 said:
I agree. Havent seen any AWD muscle cars.
What about AWD performance cars? The high end segment is already moving there, because people realize that big horsepower is useless if you cant put it to the ground.

Just ask the developers of the Bugatti Veyron... they listed AWD as a requirement because the power was too high to ignore it.

I think RWD is great, but nothing beats AWD at the track.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I understand the usefulness of AWD - especially the right system in a performance vehicle. But I would imagine that they'll want to keep this close to its roots and stick with the RWD.

Also - does DCX have a decent performance oriented AWD system already? Not sure if there's anything in the Mercedes parts bin they can borrow, or perhaps they can grab some Mitsu parts. Just seems like they'd have to sink some more money into development when they've already got an effective RWD developed on (essentially) that platform with the Charger and 300.

It would definitely be cool if they offered it. I think it would be a giant step forward in terms of "global" marketing. Would still have the American muscle car heritage, but be a car everyone could get behind from a technology standpoint.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
DubleDex said:
I understand the usefulness of AWD - especially the right system in a performance vehicle. But I would imagine that they'll want to keep this close to its roots and stick with the RWD.

Also - does DCX have a decent performance oriented AWD system already? Not sure if there's anything in the Mercedes parts bin they can borrow, or perhaps they can grab some Mitsu parts. Just seems like they'd have to sink some more money into development when they've already got an effective RWD developed on (essentially) that platform with the Charger and 300.

It would definitely be cool if they offered it. I think it would be a giant step forward in terms of "global" marketing. Would still have the American muscle car heritage, but be a car everyone could get behind from a technology standpoint.

MB has the 4Matic AWD system (I believe it is used on the SLR McLaren) -- so it has plenty of beef :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
ekool said:
MB has the 4Matic AWD system (I believe it is used on the SLR McLaren) -- so it has plenty of beef :)
There ya go. They can definitely raid the parts bin.

If they decided to do that, I bet they'd wait a year before adding it as an option. Release the intial car and really aim it at the purists. Try not to piss off some of the hardcore purchasing base.

Then bring it in later when they really start developing the car for some different race circuits. Could be very, very cool.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BuBbABFP said:
I think RWD is the only way to go just my 0.02. we dont want to suffer like them evos off a highway roll race you know.. hehe. that would be something new tough.
Don't forget that the Evos and other AWD'ers overcome that little handicap very quickly with a couple of extra pounds of boost!

I think they probably won't actually do it but if they really want to set themselves above and apart from the competition then they should be at least considering it.

The only reason it wouldn't be worth it is if it turns a 40k car into a 60k car... and bean counters would love that.

·
Registered
97 Posts
AWD would be a very nice option. My dad is a huge Musclecar fan... he's owned about 5 original Challengers... ahd he's said that he hopes the new Challenger will have an AWD option. I'd probably get AWD too... an option like on the SLR McLaren would be perfect.

·
Registered
9 Posts
DubleDex said:

Dodge and Chrysler already have a great AWD setup, much better than BMW's actually. They already make AWD Magnums and 300cs (but NOT the Charger, yet). I can't see them doing it on the Challenger however.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I doubt it. Not really necessary. While some would go for an awd option. I just don't think to many people will opt for it. The bean counters would put it this way. The Mustang doesn't need it so why should we?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Will The Thrill said:
Dodge and Chrysler already have a great AWD setup, much better than BMW's actually. They already make AWD Magnums and 300cs (but NOT the Charger, yet). I can't see them doing it on the Challenger however.
I wish they made the SRT-4 an AWD. I have the S3R upgrade on mine. The thing is a beast. But traction is hard to come by.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah, an AWD SRT-4 would be sweet!! But then, they wouldn't have been able to advertise it as the fastest car for under $20k. Still... an option would have been nice. Don't they make a mod that turns it into AWD?

·
Registered
158 Posts
WildKarrde said:
Yeah, an AWD SRT-4 would be sweet!! But then, they wouldn't have been able to advertise it as the fastest car for under $20k. Still... an option would have been nice. Don't they make a mod that turns it into AWD?
Its possible to convert it to an AWD. Its gonna cost over 10K though:eek: :eek: :eek: . Dont know anyone that has done it. The SRT-4's replacement, the Dodge Caliber, will have the AWD option.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Daang.... I don't think $10k would be worth it. :( I don't like the Caliber, personally... but technically it's not a "replacement" for the Neon... I think it's more along the lines of, coming along as the Neon leaves. And it's being built at the same factory... but I believe those were the only intended similarities between it and the Neon.

·
Registered
477 Posts
ncclbrze said:
can you smoke awd cars? lets face it nothing beats the smell of goodyear, or the turn of heads---well maybe NITRO!!!
I agree with you. AWD is boring. My Ram is AWD and...zzzzzzz. Traction is great when driving but no wheel spin. My 300C ESP is GREAT...don't see a need for AWD in a performance car at all. Plus the added weight of it...

RWD is the market for these vehicles. ESP and the ability to turn it off is just fine by me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts