Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Dodge first introduced the retro Challenger was there as much disdain and animosity towards it as the ones unveiled the other day?

·
Registered
9,272 Posts
some people hate it, some people love it, mixed bag of opinions between those two ends of the spectrum. Pretty much like any other new car unveil

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
I don't know. It's a good question.

I love that dodge is making these cars. They realized they were underpowered, they responded. I am surprised with the cafe standards they are actually going up In cubic inches. I did not expect that at all.

·
Registered
255 Posts
No matter the criticism of the Challenger does anyone remember the OUTRAGE, the WAILING, the AUDACITY of the Charger being a FOUR door?

Just like everything else on the internet, those who are ambivalent won't waste the keystrokes, those who like it will nod and maybe post something. Those who hate it will go on and on and on (and on.....) about how Dodge is somehow responsible for the end of the world as we know it.

Says the wise Zen master: "We shall see."

·
Premium Member
1,319 Posts
No matter the criticism of the Challenger does anyone remember the OUTRAGE, the WAILING, the AUDACITY of the Charger being a FOUR door?

Just like everything else on the internet, those who are ambivalent won't waste the keystrokes, those who like it will nod and maybe post something. Those who hate it will go on and on and on (and on.....) about how Dodge is somehow responsible for the end of the world as we know it.

I thought he always said "stay tuned."

:guiness:lol

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
When Dodge first introduced the retro Challenger was there as much disdain and animosity towards it as the ones unveiled the other day?

I'm sure the 78-84 Challenger crowd hated to see it..

Reactions: shiftintohigh

·
Premium Member
10,044 Posts

Many of the replies have a direct connection to the person's age especially if they were of an age to appreciate the Charger and Challenger when the originals were new cars. When the modern Challenger came out it was wow that looks cool but when the Charger came back it was a totally different car re - using a name from the past.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The cops in here in Saratoga use the Charger.They look pretty sweet with the black steel wheels,lights and other cop stuff.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I really don't understand the problem with the '15 Challenger. Do I like it, not really, but who cares? If you don't like it, then just keep the one you have. Your Challenger should last you at least 20 good years if you take care of it. We all knew the Challenger was not the quickest out there before we bought it, right? We loved the retro styling and for some of us having a useful back seat was important. Would I like more power, sure, but it really only matters on the track anyway. I have no problem getting my RT in front of anyone that I need to while on the road.

The 392 RT is intriguing, though. But, it's gonna cost you some serious cash. Are there gonna be buyers for a 392 RT at $45K+/-? We shall see.

I can only hope they offer a 392 RT/Plus (or similar) for under $40K, but I doubt it. To me it doesn't matter anyway, I like the way the '12-'14s are now. I said it before, if I feel the need for more power, I'll get a used SRT and call it a win!

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Speaking of hatred, I don't understand the problem some have with Charger.

There's NO way the market can sustain two coupes. And if Dodge even tried, we would be accusing them of squandering resources and driving the Dodge heritage into the ground. So what is Dodge to call its RWD sedan? The Monaco? The Diplomat? The Aspen? The DKZ? Right, like any of those would sell.

Charger has done very well for Dodge, and I love what they've done with it for 2015.

Yeah, yeah...there was no Charger 4-door in 1969. A lot of things didn't have four doors back then, including Jeeps, VWs and pickup trucks, and the world is now better off because we have them.

Get over it already!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I kind of like the '15 model. I have a '10 R/T Classic. I would trade the interior; like the throwback console. The smiley grill- - well, how many people like the term "Chally"??? Now it fits.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I dont think so. I was a Ford guy for many many years, I loved the Challenger at first sight. I have bowtie buddies that think the same way. The chief complaint was the motor options and price for performance, but hardly ever any animosity or hatred towards it.

Look at it this way, you could be a Charger fan and had to wake up one morning and see that ridiculously ugly heaping pile of runny dog crap on a hot sidewalk that was just released. Feel good about our cars.

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Or worse, you could be a Challenger lover trapped inside a Camaro body [puke]

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I'm not seeing out and out hostility toward the new version of challengers, just see some that prefer the old over the new, and some that like the new over the old. There was more hostility toward the 4 door charger than the challenger has ever gotten, old charger people don't like them, many would never buy one. I kind of fall into that category, but my wife would be more than happy in a 4 door charger, and if thats what she wants, that is what she can drive, I don't really care as long as she's happy with it.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
Look at it this way, you could be a Charger fan and had to wake up one morning and see that ridiculously ugly heaping pile of runny dog crap on a hot sidewalk that was just released. Feel good about our cars.
I'll assume you're not going to be in the market for a Charger anytime soon.

As for the OP's question, back in 2006 when the concept was released I remember nothing but praise. I had a 1974 Challenger back in the '70s and couldn't wait for the new one also. My biggest disappointment was that the console looked like it was stolen from a 1980 Mustang and the 6-speed didn't come with a real pistol grip shifter. But I still tripped over myself to get one.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Some people are just born to be negative and or A Holes when they hide behind a keyboard.

What's funny are the guys that bought their first love a Challenger with V6, then get into a RT V8. What happens next is they smack talk V6 owners.

Then how about the RT owners that jump up to a SRT and then do the same crap To RT owners.

Or the people that love their Challenger but never have a single good thing to say about Dodge?

After a while their replies get so obnoxious you just skip/ignore them.

:guiness:

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
Some people are just born to be negative and or A Holes when they hide behind a keyboard.

What's funny are the guys that bought their first love a Challenger with V6, then get into a RT V8. What happens next is they smack talk V6 owners.

Then how about the RT owners that jump up to a SRT and then do the same crap To RT owners.

Or the people that love their Challenger but never have a single good thing to say about Dodge?

After a while their replies get so obnoxious you just skip/ignore them.

:guiness:
Nice post! I would have liked to have been able to read the pre-edited version... :browsmiley:

·
Registered
834 Posts
I've seen a lot of love for the 15 challenger including from myself. I love the blue 15 challenger, I will probably have a hellcat in that color if possible. The charger is the one catching flak and I can understand that. It will probably grow on me eventually and will really like it, but right now it's just ok.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm not really seeing hostility. I think there were some things said that made many people believe the 15 would get some pretty different suspension and some upgraded output to the 5.7. If you are sticking with a manual, there really isn't anything to get hugely excited about but the interior.

Also, some people really prefer a simpler interior. They needed to do the update to stay competitive, but I really like the straight up '4 pot' style.

No hatred here though, I think it will do well. When I look at other sites, it seems that people are pretty enthusiastic about it except people who hate Dodge's on principal and people who think it's just too heavy. And of course, the inevitable mustang fanboi's seem to have a real thang against it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts