Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is at around 82k miles. I replaced the alternator a few weeks ago (before realizing that it was a recall issue) and a week after I'm in traffic and I see steam coming from my hood and my temp gauge a little higher than normal. I drove it back home because I was only 5 minutes away. Right as I pulled into my driveway the temp started soaring and I had to coast it the rest of the way to avoid damage. I let it cool down and started it back up just fine. I opened the hood so I could see where the leak was coming from. I saw nothing until it hit operating temperature and that is when I saw steam coming out right under the throttle body. I am fairly certain it is the water pump. But from what I have read, when these fail there is typically an impellar noise that you can hear and it leaks coolant, not steam.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Did you remove the upper radiator hose from the T-stat housing? Makes it a LOT easier to get alternator in or out on a 5.7L (assuming that's the engine you have). That is the only possible coolant leak point I can think of that would be introduced during an alternator job. The fact that you say the leak doesn't appear until it gets to operating temp, says that it's something in that vicinity, when the thermostat opens and coolant starts getting up there. If you didn't remove the hose when you did the alternator, hopefully you didn't tear or damage the hose by yanking the alternator past it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did remove the hose. I checked that first and it seemed to be just fine. It seems the steam is coming from underneath that area. It is strange. My friend told me it could be the thermostat housing

1 - 4 of 4 Posts