Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With the 2015's right around the corner, I took "advantage" of the deler incentives and traded in my 2009 R/T. I absolutely loved everything about the car - bone stock. The main reason I bought new was to also unload 2 other nearly unsellable trades.

So now I am in a Plum Crazy R/T Classic 2014. My Hemi Orange sits on the dealers lot waiting to thrill someone new.

I have under 300 miles on the '14, but I will say I am shocked by the difference in performance. The new car is much quieter -Not necessarily in a good way. My previous car (also a 5.7L) would pull you back in your seat in all gears. The new car is driving like a peppy commuter vehicle.

I am disappointed to say the least. I am running 91 in it. If anyone has some insight I'd appreciate knowing where the difference is, and what can be done to get similar performance out of the new beast.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,710 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
3750 miles huh? I guess I can wait that long. There is such a performance difference that I was ready to go buy my car back. Purple and Orange would look good side by side :)

I tried the fuse #2 thing. Either there was a slight change or I got on it more. The anti slip "fix" would make sense if it works.

Does anyone know if there are major differences between the stock '09 and stock '14 exhaust? There is a huge difference in tone and in cabin sound between the two.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
3750 miles huh? I guess I can wait that long. There is such a performance difference that I was ready to go buy my car back. Purple and Orange would look good side by side :)

I tried the fuse #2 thing. Either there was a slight change or I got on it more. The anti slip "fix" would make sense if it works.

Does anyone know if there are major differences between the stock '09 and stock '14 exhaust? There is a huge difference in tone and in cabin sound between the two.
I'm guessing it may be a lot quieter if you want from a 6 speed manual to a 5 speed auto. The manual cars have bigger sound than the automatics when stock.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope. I went from an '09 6 speed to an '14 6 speed manual.
I ddn't hammer on the car during my brief test drive. Unfortunately I figured they were basically the same car. Small chance that my first had an aftermarket exhaust installed at the dealer. I will find out tomorrow when I pop in to my friendly dealership.
Just in case the 3750, ESP, VVT, and other positive karma isn't in the cards, I want to report early and often, just incase I need to make the leap to 2015.

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
11,112 Posts
I think you've got buyers remorse.............because you truly loved your "09.

Not trying to be harsh, but I feel the same way about my '10 R/TC. If I traded for a Hellcat, one would think that I would be in heaven, but the truth would be that I would miss my little old "DY" in many ways.

I don't even think about trading, I'm that happy.:)

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Also, disable the traction control everytime you get in the car (unless it's raining), it reduces the amount of timing the ECU pulls for torque management. The exhaust will get louder too after about 6 months.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
........I have under 300 miles on the '14, ......
The car isn't even broken in yet, you're not supposed to be looking for "performance" yet.....

Oh yeah, if you've still got "dealer gas" in the tank, it's probably 87 octane, try to dilute it with 91 or 93 octane, highest you can get!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Buyers remorse sounds about right :headbang:

Reactions: Caraman

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess it'd be buyers remorse if I'd never had a challenger. My remorse is that the stock 2014 doesn't respond like my stock 2009. The gas is 91 and a fresh tank.
I will give it time (don't have much choice :)

I am certain that the ridergraphix will add 15-20 HP!

I guess my biggest hangup is thinking I'll have to add mods just to get back to the performance I had with stock. (deep breaths ....) I will be patient and wait for the transformation :)

BTW: I love the quote that scrimping on miles is like saving your wife for the next guy.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Also, disable the traction control everytime you get in the car (unless it's raining), it reduces the amount of timing the ECU pulls for torque management. The exhaust will get louder too after about 6 months.
I have noticed the increase in exhaust rumble, a deeper tone, than when I first got the car new. I have the 6-speed manual and it sounds slightly louder now, especially with the windows up. Also, there are several different exhaust system suppliers for Dodge, so that could account for the different sounds for the same transmission and engine.

I haven't hit the 3750 mile mark yet so I can't comment on that. But I'm curious if that change is noticeable when that mark is crossed.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'm just joking with you bro your car will wake up after a few miles plus every car is different will find your sweet spots

·
Registered
335 Posts
Stock mufflers have a glass packing, it will heat up and burn off, making that sweet Hemi tone. Tolerances are tight on these modern day engines. It will be breaking in for 25k. Miles. Try some 5w 20 full synthetic like Pennzoil platinum ultra after an oil change or two.

·
Premium Member
3,442 Posts
This is the third thread, including mine, concerning new 2014 owner's noticing low power compared to their previous R/Ts. I sure hope they didn't detune it or screw it up somehow.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
I've noticed obvious improvement as the miles add up. Your car isn't even close to being broken in yet. It'll loosen up, trust me.

Reactions: rajunz

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I have noticed the increase in exhaust rumble, a deeper tone, than when I first got the car new. I have the 6-speed manual and it sounds slightly louder now, especially with the windows up. Also, there are several different exhaust system suppliers for Dodge, so that could account for the different sounds for the same transmission and engine.

I haven't hit the 3750 mile mark yet so I can't comment on that. But I'm curious if that change is noticeable when that mark is crossed.
No, you won't notice it all of a sudden. The adaptive learning of the computer will continue once the VVT fully activates, but you will notice a difference after a few weeks of driving. When my car was new I thought it felt kind of sluggish, by 5,000 miles, it was like a totally different car.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Same here , car definitely has become more responsive from my pick up date. I have 2300 miles now. Bought it with 500.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
94 Posts
Mine at almost 9,000 miles is much louder and pulls a lot harder than it did after the 500 mile break in. In fact the car really surprised me as it's performance keeps improving, especially after about 4,000 miles. After break in I agree with turning the trac control off and drive it like you stole it! Your car will respond!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.