Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to take on this challenge last weekend and found a video online that showed the guy dropping the exhaust and lowering the rear cradle??? I did the front in about 30 minutes. Sometimes people do way more then needed. Just curious of any other experiences, secrets, or tips.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wrong answer. LOL I know I think I am going to have to just handle it. I was hoping someone had a secret. I took a quick look at it and seems to only be 4 bolts but a real pain:up_to_something:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Wrong answer. LOL I know I think I am going to have to just handle it. I was hoping someone had a secret. I took a quick look at it and seems to only be 4 bolts but a real pain:up_to_something:
Yeah, the rear bar on my old 02 Z28 only took 15min to swap. Most people upgrade the rear bar on LX cars when they install new springs and/or shocks.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Which sways are you installing? Into an R/T or a SRT?

I'm thinking about doing this too or possibly just the
end links, they seem like the weak point in the set up.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I should have done it when we did springs a couple weeks ago. I came from the C5 Corvette platform and upgrading those sways was a 2 beer job. LOL Oh well everything cant be easy I guess

I am putting Eibachs on and replacing the factory SRT8 sways

Yeah, the rear bar on my old 02 Z28 only took 15min to swap. Most people upgrade the rear bar on LX cars when they install new springs and/or shocks.

·
Super Moderator
15,099 Posts
I did my own - the following items:

*4 large cradle bolts
*rear resonator hanger bolts
*brake line bracket bolts (L & R) in wheel well
*unplug ABS sensor harness
*support left side resonator (union connection on this pipe) avoid kinking pipe
*unbolt top shock mounts on each side
*remove both rear tire/wheel assemblies
*any ground straps on the exhaust system attached to the body

The IRS cradle is lowered ~ 4" and support the body with jackstands and using a floor jack (block of wood under diff housing) to lower the IRS module and the brackets can be accessed to unbolt the rear sway bar for R & R...

The exhaust hangers are attached to the IRS cradle, so you don't need to remove them - they'll drop down when the cradle is lowered.

It takes ~ 2 hours or so for the rear. When the car is reassembled, re-torque the cradle bolts when the full weight of the car is back on the ground.

PS: if you're planning on changing the rear springs...this is the opportunity. With the cradle lowered, you can simply lift the springs out and replace them.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Hal. Thats some good information. I appreciate the time.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Do yourself a favor and find a friend with a lift. I generally do this kind of stuff on my garage floor. Not in this case. I'm old and decrepit I guess.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I built a Z06 on the ground in the garage, a couple more hours and a few beers shouldnt kill me. LOL

·
Registered
309 Posts
I was going to take on this challenge last weekend and found a video online that showed the guy dropping the exhaust and lowering the rear cradle??? I did the front in about 30 minutes. Sometimes people do way more then needed. Just curious of any other experiences, secrets, or tips.
Took mine back to dodge and they installed my rear sway bar for 200.00 dollars! I thought it was well worth the peace of mind. Just knowing if something was screwed up a could take it back to them and they would have to fix under warranty!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Super Moderator
15,099 Posts
Took mine back to dodge and they installed my rear sway bar for 200.00 dollars! I thought it was well worth the peace of mind. Just knowing if something was screwed up a could take it back to them and they would have to fix under warranty!

That was a bargain price you got - I recall a lot of quotes in the $400 range by other's posts.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I figured $200 would be a crack dream here in California. LOL I should have it wrapped up tonight and it will cost me a case of beer. HAHA

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes sir. I have been asked about the difference between the 20"s and the 22"s and I cant tell you. I had the car a few days before I upgraded. LOL As for the front sway I didnt notice a big difference. Dont expect much from the rear either. I dont bang on this car hard and use it more for cruising. LOL

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We used the inside holes. I still need to do an alignment and have the wheels road balanced. The hack job balancing the first tire shop did has a shimy in the front of the car.

·
Registered
309 Posts
That was a bargain price you got - I recall a lot of quotes in the $400 range by other's posts.
I purchased the car from the dealer! All my service has been at that dealer! Also my car is lowered on the H&R springs with speed logic end links and the car handle exceptionally well! I can tell a dramatic difference! Car doesn't roll at all in the front! A little in the rear but I haven't added the rear strut tower yet because I had two extra subs added in the rear! My next project is having the extra subs placed in floor and add speed logic rear strut bar! My car handles now without the rear strut towers better than my C6! The speed logic front and rear sway bars are worth every penny! They really stiffen my car and every time I get behind the wheel I think I'm on a race course! Beefing up the suspension really makes these cars handle well! I also have staggered 22. In front 9in and 10.5 in rear and it's like driving a new toy every time I get behind the wheel,

1 - 18 of 18 Posts