Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am having to have my windshield replaced. It is only costing me $200.00 to get the original windshield to replace the cracked one. Funny how insurance works. I could get just an after market no name windshield or get an OEM windshield and pay the difference. I am paying the difference for the windshield.

Sucks that I have to do this but I want it to be as close to factory as I can.

Flipper

·
Super Moderator
15,339 Posts
Well I am having to have my windshield replaced. It is only costing me $200.00 to get the original windshield to replace the cracked one. Funny how insurance works. I could get just an after market no name windshield or get an OEM windshield and pay the difference. I am paying the difference for the windshield.

Flipper
on the '15+ models - I'd only go with the OEM

all models have A/C humidity sensors mounted on the windshield

other models would also have the rain sensing / sending led unit module as well

the aftermarket units cheap out on those components (they come bonded to the glass already)

Its been an issue that turns up as Mercedes has used both these technologies going back to the early 2Ks.

The aftermarket copies have these issues. Good move

Plus the "easter egg" on '15+ windshields (outline of Challenger) isn't on the aftermarket stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts

Flipper
I had to replace my windshield this past summer, in Florida with full coverage
You get 2 replacement a year no charge. And my Insurance rates do not go up . They also replaced it with OEM glass

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had to replace my windshield this past summer, in Florida with full coverage
You get 2 replacement a year no charge. And my Insurance rates do not go up . They also replaced it with OEM glass
OEM glass ????

Next time just point out the logo on the glass. I avoided paying the OEM upgrade once doing this.
Need to replace windshield 2016 challenger
Need advice

·
Registered
74 Posts
Safelite NO
Don't know what this means, but I just had Safelite replace my windshield.

All done through insurance. Filled out a form real quick online, in the comments section wrote "Must be OEM glass".

They brought out OEM glass. Guy was super knowledgeable about these cars. Saw the receipt, less than $300 total for the OEM glass. Has the Mopar part number on the passenger side and Challenger silhouette on the drivers side, Cost me nothing, he was done within an hour.

Would definitely use again. If you don't have insurance, it seems like a fair price for a windshield (cheap really).

·
Registered
2019 Challenger Scat Pack. 6 speed manual.
226 Posts
The reason I said that is because they installed the windshield so crooked that they had to re do it. What kind of place does that? It's not rocket science.

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
493 Posts
Safelite NO
The reason I said that is because they installed the windshield so crooked that they had to re do it. What kind of place does that? It's not rocket science.
A friend of mine went through that with a SafeLite replacement on his F150. He did not get factory glass and had issues.

I will always specify replacing with OEM glass. The windshield is a huge part of the structural strength to modern vehicles. I don't want an imitation just because it saves the insurance company a couple of bucks.

Back in February we had to replace the windshield in our '17 Durango R/T. I learned that Liberty Mutual uses SafeLite to handle the windshield claims but that I could still use whichever installer I choose. Lee & Cates Glass has been doing business in Jacksonville since the 1920's so once I had a claim number, I went through Lee & Cates.

As @Beachlovers2 said, Florida requires insurance companies to cover legitimate windshield replacements so there was no cost to me. And getting Mopar glass was as simple as me requesting it.

The installer was spot-on. He had all of the cool tools of the trade and was gone in about an hour.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts