Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Hellcat
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I posted this earlier in the wrong spot. Anyway, I am having trouble launching. I am currently using Nitto Invo,s. 315/35/20s. I must have a lead foot, haha. I have tried manual launch in 1st, up in smoke, tried to "roll out" , up in smoke. Tried launch control at 1500 and 1750, up in smoke. even tried launch in 2nd. 0-60mph time is not good. 4.7 best. Want to put it on the track but need to be quicker. Don,t need to be the fastest, just don,t want to totally suck. hahaha. Any wheel and tire set up that would work at the track would be great. Thanks.:smile:

·
Registered
759 Posts
So no track time right now is what you are saying? Are you doing actual test hits on the street or? Are you doing a burnout?

Lower your rear tire pressure for a pass, start at 22ish psi and work your way down. This is trial and error and you'll have to find the sweet spot but to give you an idea, hellcat guys run as low as 16psi on the drag strip (on radials). Anything lower you risk the tire coming off the rim. DO NOT RUN THAT LOW OF TIRE PRESSURE WHILE STREET DRIVING. Lowest I'd run on the street (driving) for these heavy cars is 26-28 but thats just me.

Consider some slicks? Slicks will get very sticky on the strip and combined with the lower tire pressure, will help cut that 0-60 and 60ft.

Contain that lead foot. I know it is difficult but you'll probably see better 0-60 and 1/4 mile times than other hellcat guys by simply rolling off the line. Stall the car to about 1500 and then when you are ready to take off, let your foot off the brake and just let the car go forward based on where your foot was on the gas peddle while stalling the car. Let it roll forward a second or so in this manner and then slowly apply the gas peddle. Experiment with stall speed (up and down) and with this technique. Its not an exact science so it will take some time to master.

Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Hi, I posted this earlier in the wrong spot. Anyway, I am having trouble launching. I am currently using Nitto Invo,s. 315/35/20s. I must have a lead foot, haha. I have tried manual launch in 1st, up in smoke, tried to "roll out" , up in smoke. Tried launch control at 1500 and 1750, up in smoke. even tried launch in 2nd. 0-60mph time is not good. 4.7 best. Want to put it on the track but need to be quicker. Don,t need to be the fastest, just don,t want to totally suck. hahaha. Any wheel and tire set up that would work at the track would be great. Thanks.:smile:
I suck too! Never even used the launch control. 4.7 is my best too...............without my knowledge. Every time I try it is 4.9 or worse! I just don't focus myself enough as I should. There is an answer. You can get down to 3.9 I hear and believe. You really have to work at it. Tough job but someone needs to do it.

·
Registered
2017 Hellcat
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
testing it on the street. no burnouts. tires are set at 32 psi. thinking about drag radials. either MT 305-35-20s I won,t have to buy rims. or maybe Bravado 10-18s with 315-45-18s. if they will fit. . but this set up is like 1000. Hoping to get to Tulsa Raceway on Sept 8

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
You may want to check out M/T website. I have the ss street radial and they really hook. They also have a tire tech that you can call for advice regarding tire pressure hot/cold and burnout procedure(yes, a real person. )

·
Registered
211 Posts
These are hard cars to launch. My best is 4.3 0-60 on stock tires (summer PZero). It takes so much self control. Haven't even tried track yet. Don't want to be embarrassed. Tires go up in smoke so easy

·
Registered
759 Posts
Huh? has that happened before? I've seen many many cars run low as 10 or single digits without losing a tire.
Well in my track and street experiences, ive seen it happen several times. One was a mustang i did a dig race with out on an empty street at night. He took off hard off the line and his rear tire literally rolled off the rim. He told me he was running 15 psi on these radials (he is a buddy of mine). I helped him change his tire that night lol.

The other I saw was a fellow challenger owner who was running 18 psi on the rears while street driving. Took a sharp corner in front of me doing probably 20-25 and flop flop flop, tire rolling off rim part of the way.

Track is a different animal compared to these rough Arizona roads so to each there own but I will not run anything lower than 16 psi track or street ever (on radials). Bead-locks are a different story. Thats just me.

·
Registered
599 Posts

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
If you're getting a bad time, figure the amount of time spent in wheel slip, subtract that from your bad time, and add maybe .1 sec? The answer will be what you would hit if you pulled off an ideal launch. Does that work about right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts