Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anybody notice playback on uploaded discs is not bad, but not as good as it should be? I have some of my best discs loaded on the hard drive just as an alternative but primarily find myself on SAT or FM stations. Granted an automobile is a horrible acoustical environment.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Well, the CD audio is converted to WMA format, I don't remember what the sample rate is, but I know I can easily tell the difference between MP3's and the original CD at anything under 300K. It's a convenience thing, so I don't expect it to be prefect. My take on the sound group II audio is that it's "OK", and that's about it. I really don't like the kicker set up at all. I am leaning towards swapping all the stock speakers out as I get the money to do it.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
signals

Well, the CD audio is converted to WMA format, I don't remember what the sample rate is, but I know I can easily tell the difference between MP3's and the original CD at anything under 300K. It's a convenience thing, so I don't expect it to be prefect. My take on the sound group II audio is that it's "OK", and that's about it. I really don't like the kicker set up at all. I am leaning towards swapping all the stock speakers out as I get the money to do it.
Thanks for that. Let me/us know what you go with and the improvement in sound quality you achieve. I know a simple head unit swap can make a huge difference but I'm curious how much new speakers alone will do. When I got my car, I wasn't shooting for all these options but the deal played out that way so... I'm not complaining. Thanks again 08blackrt!

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
If you find the Sirius audio quality to be better than from the HDD, I think there must be a problem with how you ripped the CDs to MP3s.
I think the Sirius audio quality is horrible compared to from the HDD. The poor quality of Sirius audio is not the MyGig, it is the Sirius service itself.
In my opinion of course.
Edit: I noticed you said uploaded CDs so maybe you put the CD in the MyGig and ripped it that way? Can't comment on the quality when doing that. I ripped all my music on the computer and then loaded to the MyGig.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, that is the way I did it and the degraded sound quality is noticeable. However, the same discs like The Wall by Pink Floyd are brilliant on my home audio with top-notch signal processors and highly efficient speakers. Apples and oranges comparison I'm sure. My Sirius is quite good in comparison.

·
Premium Member
3,004 Posts
Yes a little apples to oranges comparison with a top end home setup to a car setup.

Try ripping the CD on your computer and loading to the HDD and see if makes a difference.

Of course I still prefer the audio from LPs vs CDs so what do I know?:notallthere:

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Waumo, I'm with you. I'm a little old school myself and still do not own an iPod; not interested in compressed files. My goal is a quality tube amp to integrate into my system and more speaker alternatives. Thanks and I'll try your advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts