Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,975 Posts
Why a 6.2 and not a 6.4 cam?
The 6.4 cam was cheap when initially introduced but now is around $350.
I didn't need to drop the oil pan when I did the swap on the 5.7, just remove the 4 bolts on the front to remove the timing cover.
You'll need 3 feeler gauges to setup the oil pump correctly.
If you do a search I did a fairly comprehensive write-up on the install I did a few years ago.

edit: and all the gaskets are re-usable rubber/silicone.
It's just logical that a 6.2 cam that is specifically made for a forced induction application is the way to go. If Luke had not mentioned a while ago that the swap was possible, I was going to go with a custom SC grind. The correct cam is 5038761AA and is $230 and no VVT lock-out required which makes for a very cost effective swap. Only problem is, I think I have had the hood open longer than I actually have driven the car. Can't help it...I love to wrench...beats lying on a couch talking to a shrink about my childhood. :grin2:
hellcat cam info. - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

Also according to HRN:
"Because the supercharger is forcing air into the engine, aggressive cam profiles, cylinder head porting, or high compression ratios aren’t necessary to achieve big power levels. In fact, supercharged engines respond to camshafts with wider lobe separation angles, which are conducive to smooth idle and big midrange torque as well. "

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
1,251 Posts
It's just logical that a 6.2 cam that is specifically made for a forced induction application is the way to go. If Luke had not mention a while ago that the swap was possible, I was going to go with a custom SC grind. The correct cam is 5038761AA and is $230 and no VVT lock-out required which makes for a very cost effective swap. Only problem is, I think I have had the hood open longer than I actually have driven the car. Can't help it...I love to wrench...beats lying on a couch talking to a shrink about my childhood. :grin2:
hellcat cam info. - Dodge Challenger Forum: Challenger & SRT8 Forums

Also according to HRN:
"Because the supercharger is forcing air into the engine, aggressive cam profiles, cylinder head porting, or high compression ratios aren’t necessary to achieve big power levels. In fact, supercharged engines respond to camshafts with wider lobe separation angles, which are conducive to smooth idle and big midrange torque as well. "
True, I didn't read about the forced induction part.
The 392 cam I installed was for a NA only 5.7 and it worked great.
Post up the gains (and specs if you have them) you see with the 6.2 cam, might be the way to go when I do a whipple.
Unfortunately the nasty NA cam I have installed in the 426 will need to be replaced with a blower friendly model.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,206 Posts
I'm about 95% sure that these are the Hellcat cam specs:

Stock cam is a hydraulic roller
measured at .006"
these lift & duration numbers are total. A 1.65 rocker is used.

I - .561" lift / 278* duration
E - .551" lift / 304* duration

lobe lift - I - .340"
E - .334"

That's quoted duration, not duration at .050" specs.

One thing that I couldn't find, but is Really important in an F/I motor is overlap. It's the amount of time that both intake and exhaust valves are open. You want some, but if you have too much overlap, it'll bleed boost.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,975 Posts
I'm about 95% sure that these are the Hellcat cam specs:

Stock cam is a hydraulic roller
measured at .006"
these lift & duration numbers are total. A 1.65 rocker is used.

I - .561" lift / 278* duration
E - .551" lift / 304* duration

lobe lift - I - .340"
E - .334"

That's quoted duration, not duration at .050" specs.

One thing that I couldn't find, but is Really important in an F/I motor is overlap. It's the amount of time that both intake and exhaust valves are open. You want some, but if you have too much overlap, it'll bleed boost.
FreddyG, the link in my previous post gave specs.

valve timing:

...........................392.............................. ............hellcat
intake
opens (BTDC)- 36 degrees ..................................25 degrees
closes (ATDC)- 250 degrees...............................253 degrees
duration--------286 degrees...............................278 degrees

exhaust
opens (BTDC)- 278 degrees............................... 278 degrees
closes (ATDC)- 10 degrees...................................26 degrees
duration--------288 degrees................................304 degrees

valve overlap- 46 degrees....................................51 degrees

·
Registered
2016 Jazz Blue A8 Scat
959 Posts
As far as bleeding boost, it’s not really a thing for most applications...

Exhaust backpressure and time usually prevents it from “bleeding” at higher rpm and higher load as boost comes in. It just depends on the exact application. Most “street” setups don’t need to worry about bleeding boost, but there are other more important reasons to watch the amount of overlap on a modern street application.

Some interesting stuff here to make you think:

http://nitromater.com/threads/top-fuel-cam-timing.31500/

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
3,206 Posts
FreddyG, the link in my previous post gave specs.

valve timing:

...........................392.............................. ............hellcat
intake
opens (BTDC)- 36 degrees ..................................25 degrees
closes (ATDC)- 250 degrees...............................253 degrees
duration--------286 degrees...............................278 degrees

exhaust
opens (BTDC)- 278 degrees............................... 278 degrees
closes (ATDC)- 10 degrees...................................26 degrees
duration--------288 degrees................................304 degrees

valve overlap- 46 degrees....................................51 degrees
Thank You for sharing them and for the info. It's much Appreciated. :cheers:

I'm Sorry, I missed it.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
They had to adjust the cam and retune. Torque cane back nicely. It is a different car after the retune. Runs even stronger.
Brent found a new approach to cam tuning with my car. I would really like to see what he can do with your build. I'm 99% sure he'll put you over 500 rwhp.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Thank you for the info.
I have been following your build also.

Looks like you are making great power.

I am thinking about changing the intake manifold, TB and possibly air intake before bringing to him.

Would you recommend the Edelbrock intake manifold? Or ported 6.4 manifold? I see you have great low end power still but that may be from the custom cam where as I have the 274 cam?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Thank you for the info.
I have been following your build also.

Looks like you are making great power.

I am thinking about changing the intake manifold, TB and possibly air intake before bringing to him.

Would you recommend the Edelbrock intake manifold? Or ported 6.4 manifold? I see you have great low end power still but that may be from the custom cam where as I have the 274 cam?

Thoughts?
My cam is:

222/230

.597 / .590

112.5 LSA

So, less duration than the 274 (more like the 270); however a more aggressive LSA than the 274 (112.5 vs 116).

The tight LSA promotes more power at the expense of idle quality.

Prior to Brent figuring out some magic, I had 50 ft lb less torque on the dyno than where I finished.

I would recommend moving away from the factory manifold and loosing the runner switching valve. Either the Edelbrock or 6.1L manifold (ported) should be fine.

I like the 92mm Hellcat throttle body. It was cheap and works well.

My preference is the BWoody CAI on either manifold.

·
Registered
2010 Challenger 6M- Brilliant Black, 426 stroker, Hellcat rear cradle, ZF 3.90 diff, DSS 1 piece
1,251 Posts
After reading some information on the other thread, seems like the edelbrock may lead to excessive oil loss via the crankcase ventilation system.
The 6.1 intake can be had for ~$600 used, some mild port work and powder coating should have it flowing as good or better than the edelbrock.
I was considering the victor2 until I realized the price point was over $1000 due to fuel rails and other miscellaneous items.
I don't think there is a $400 performance difference between the two.
I may look into swapping to the hellcat throttlebody when I go forced induction, I don't know if the 87mm would be a restriction as of now.
If you are still using the factory throttlebody you might consider upgrading that first, since it's an easy mod.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
My cam is:

222/230

.597 / .590

112.5 LSA

So, less duration than the 274 (more like the 270); however a more aggressive LSA than the 274 (112.5 vs 116).

The tight LSA promotes more power at the expense of idle quality.

Prior to Brent figuring out some magic, I had 50 ft lb less torque on the dyno than where I finished.

I would recommend moving away from the factory manifold and loosing the runner switching valve. Either the Edelbrock or 6.1L manifold (ported) should be fine.

I like the 92mm Hellcat throttle body. It was cheap and works well.

My preference is the BWoody CAI on either manifold.
are the connectors for the hellcat and my 2010 the same? I'd like to look into this also and sell the BBK 87.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
different plugs and electronics, also will not bolt up, different bolt pattern
Luke
dang it. thanks for the information. I was hoping I wouldn't need the $220 adapter setup that one of the vendors is selling.
looks like 87mm is the largest I can go with the 6.1 intake until I pull it and do some machine work...the opening is only 87mm so I'd have to break out the rotary tool either way.

hate to plug BBK but this is a pretty good deal: 90mm throttbody that will bolt up & plug up to 03-12 6.1/6.4 for less than $400 shipped
http://www.bbkperformance.com/produ...l-64l-90mm-throttle-body---reconditioned.html

41 - 54 of 54 Posts