Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question:

Do the challengers have more headroom with the Sun Roof, or without?

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Justforfun. I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but are you sure?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Justforfun. I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but are you sure?
No offense taken. :bigthumb: But is is pretty common knowledge that you lose a couple inches with a sunroof. This is due to the glass and housing it takes to make the sunroof. When it slides open that glass has to go somewhere, right? That space is accomodated inside the cabin and thus you lose a couple inches of headroom.

JFF:D

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
No offense taken. :bigthumb: But is is pretty common knowledge that you lose a couple inches with a sunroof. This is due to the glass and housing it takes to make the sunroof. When it slides open that glass has to go somewhere, right? That space is accomodated inside the cabin and thus you lose a couple inches of headroom.

He is correct. The only thing I found was that without the sunroof it feels like the roof is right there. It's probably because the sunroof glass gives you the perception that there is more room because you can see out.

·
Registered
104 Posts

Absolutely true... Finding a Challenger SRT8 without a sunroof was difficult in Dec 2008, located the only TorRed one in Texas at Waco Dodge and had it trailered to the Fort Worth dealership.

Even thought I did not want a sunroof for various reasons, I spent a half hour trying to find a seat position where my head would clear and I would be comfortable for long trips... never worked out.

XS

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Absolutely true... Finding a Challenger SRT8 without a sunroof was difficult in Dec 2008, located the only TorRed one in Texas at Waco Dodge and had it trailered to the Fort Worth dealership.

Even thought I did not want a sunroof for various reasons, I spent a half hour trying to find a seat position where my head would clear and I would be comfortable for long trips... never worked out.

XS
Are you saying that your Challenger has no sunroof and that it is hard to find a comfortable position; or the other way around? :scratchhead:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Are you saying that your Challenger has no sunroof and that it is hard to find a comfortable position; or the other way around? :scratchhead:
Sorry for the poorly worded sentence. My non-sunroof Challenger has plenty of headroom at comfortable seating positions. Before buying the non-sunroof Challenger, I sat in several Challenger showroom display cars and tried to find a workable seat adjustment to provide head clearance... no luck. The dealer had offered a discount to cover the cost of the sunroof option, so it would have been "free". To get head clearance, the seat had to be reclined too far back...

XS

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Sorry for the poorly worded sentence. My non-sunroof Challenger has plenty of headroom at comfortable seating positions. Before buying the non-sunroof Challenger, I sat in several Challenger showroom display cars and tried to find a workable seat adjustment to provide head clearance... no luck. The dealer had offered a discount to cover the cost of the sunroof option, so it would have been "free". To get head clearance, the seat had to be reclined too far back...

XS
How tall are you? I am 6'3" and sat in and drove a 392 with a sunroof and I was just fine. Of course, I had the seat back pretty far, but I like that as I like to strech my legs when driving. :D My hair was just "tickling" the sunroof border - not enough to even bother me. I ordered the sunroof in my GWE.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
104 Posts
How tall are you? I am 6'3" and sat in and drove a 392 with a sunroof and I was just fine. Of course, I had the seat back pretty far, but I like that as I like to strech my legs when driving. :D My hair was just "tickling" the sunroof border - not enough to even bother me. I ordered the sunroof in my GWE.:bigthumb:

I am 6'3" also, but have a relatively long torso with shorter legs (30 inch inseam). Having my hair "tickle" the roof would not be acceptable for me.. I remember riding in a a friend's car with that condition... then we went through a dip in the road and my head was smashed into the hard headliner of his car even though I was wearing a seat belt.

Good Luck on your GWE! :thumbsup:

XS

·
Registered
175 Posts
I am only 5"10" and my head or hair anyway allways touched the headliner in cars that had the sunroof. It took me a while to find my B5 car without one but it was worth it! There is like 4 inches of clearance above my head now and I love it.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I am only 5"10" and my head or hair anyway allways touched the headliner in cars that had the sunroof. It took me a while to find my B5 car without one but it was worth it! There is like 4 inches of clearance above my head now and I love it.
I'm 5-10 as well, my hair is always touching the headliner with the sunroof equipped car. Drives me nuts. If I lower the seat, I don't get the visibility I desire. Stupid sunroof...DOH!

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I'm 5'4", but I still do not want a sunroof though I would have plenty of room either way. They seem hard to find in SRT-8 trim without one though...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts