Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to install used JBA Shortys on my R/T.

Already bought new OEM SRT gaskets but still need header bolts.

Should I get Stage 8 bolts or OEM SRT 6.1/6.4 bolts? Which are easier to install? If I go with 6.1/6.4 bolts, do I use washers/lock washers with those or just the bolts? Do they come treated with any thread sealant or do they come with a separate bottle/tube of sealant like Loctite? What about anti seize??

Any and all help appreciated!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I used the factory hardware, they have a brown thread lock on them. No on the anti seize. I think the SRT dipstick tube and dipstick is a good idea. I installed SRT shorties on mine. Just getting the tube in was a pain, I cant imagine bending and checking and re bending ect . good luck.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Subscribed. I've heard a lot of people use the stage 8s...but curious to see what other people have done.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I used Stage 8. Just an added layer of security for my piece of mind.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Let me rephrase my previous statement. I bought them for my shop to install lol. I never asked as I just presumed they did.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For those who installed 6.1/6.4 header bolts, did any of the bolts loosen up after awhile?

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I installed the JBA shortys today using factory 6.1/6.4 header bolts. They worked out fine. Having the smaller 10mm Hex Head made things easier on the install. The bolts came pre treated from Dodge with a heat activated thread sealant. I was able to get a torque wrench on a few of them and torqued them to 18ft lbs. The other ones I estimated the best I could, and used PFT (Pretty ******* Tight) which required a fair amount of pressure on the 1/4 ratchet I was using.

Very happy with 6.4 bolts.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Did you use a Mopar gasket with the heat shield, or the JBA gasket? Did you end up having to remove the motor mounts?

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I used Mopar 6.4 gaskets (no heat shield) didn't remove motor mounts or anything else. Just unbolted stock manifolds, cleaned exhaust port gasket surface of any small amounts of carbon and installed the JBA shortys. I purchased ahead of time a Gearwrench 1/4" ratchet flex head pictured below off amazon. Between that and a 10mm gear wrench also with flex head, I was able to get to all bolts with extensions and a u-joint at times. You're going to want to install two lower header bolts with new gasket in place (just a couple turns) 1st, then hang the header in place on the two lower bolts. Then thread by hand each new header bolt a couple turns before putting the wrench on them. You do not want to cross thread the bolts which could be easy to do in the aluminum heads. All bolts were accessed from below. I have medium size hands so this approach was doable for me. If you have really large paws, you might need to jack the engine up. My header install wouldn't have been possible without the 1/4" drive pictured below. I was amazed at how effective and useful that tool was! GearWrench 81012P 120XP Full Polish Flex Teardrop Ratchet, 1/4-Inch - Amazon.com
n

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I used Mopar 6.4 gaskets (no heat shield) didn't remove motor mounts or anything else. Just unbolted stock manifolds, cleaned exhaust port gasket surface of any small amounts of carbon and installed the JBA shortys. I purchased ahead of time a Gearwrench 1/4" ratchet flex head pictured below off amazon. Between that and a 10mm gear wrench also with flex head, I was able to get to all bolts with extensions and a u-joint at times. You're going to want to install two lower header bolts with new gasket in place (just a couple turns) 1st, then hang the header in place on the two lower bolts. Then thread by hand each new header bolt a couple turns before putting the wrench on them. You do not want to cross thread the bolts which could be easy to do in the aluminum heads. All bolts were accessed from below. I have medium size hands so this approach was doable for me. If you have really large paws, you might need to jack the engine up. My header install wouldn't have been possible without the 1/4" drive pictured below. I was amazed at how effective and useful that tool was! GearWrench 81012P 120XP Full Polish Flex Teardrop Ratchet, 1/4-Inch - Amazon.com
n
Thanks for the info. I may have to take the plunge and do the JBAs on mine as well.

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just returned from first test run with new JBA shortys and catless mids. She runs like a raped Ape. Builds RPMs noticeably faster.

Looking forward to getting an email tune from Johan!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Nothin better than that first test run after hours of wrenching. Did you weigh the stock manifolds and compare to the JBA ? The SRT manifolds are 1.5 lb more if I remember. Gotta love the Han!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts