Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I bought a 6mt header orange r/t about 3 months ago. I clayed it and waxed it about 2 weeks after buying it and I try and keep up on washes about once every 2 or 3 weeks. This color is one of the worst color I've ever owned besides black to keep clean! It's really turned out to be a nightmare. I usually have to wash it twice just to get most of the dirt off to where you can't see it's dirty anymore. It seems to scratch fairly easily too.
I have a big problem with bugs and tar also but have had some success with turtle wax bug and tar remover.
Does anyone have any tips on how to help keep this thing more clean between washes? Is there some kind of sealant I can buy and apply myself? I don't mind putting in a lot of time on it, but I don't have a orbital or porter cable or whatever or the know how of using one.
I try and wipe away and bird $hit in between the washes with some quick detail, but sometimes it's scary to me because there might be dust or whatever on the car too and I'm always scared of scratching the car. (Seriously.. this has to be one of the easiest-to-scratch cars I've owned unfortunately.)
Any tips are appreciated!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
well, yes I'd look up the videos from "the junkman" on you tube and learn everything he has to say about taking care of paint.

I just used Adams Quick Sealant on my car and it's slicker than I could possibly imagine. I think this keeps even dust from sticking to it so bad and it for sure cleans up easier.

I rinse my car thoughly, then I use a Foam Gun to spray a layer of foam on the car, then with the foam still on I use the two bucket method to wash it. I use mainly microfibers available at Adams Polishes or Chemical Guys, car wash, sealer, wax and all purpose cleaner from Adams. I did recently buy some products (waterless wash and detail sprays) from Detailers Domain, Phil is a great guy that will help you understand anything you need to know.

I'm really careful and I still have some swirls here and there but overall she looks great to people who aren't as picky as I am.. learn all you can and get into a rhythm and you'll get there.

I'm surprised a little that Header Orange is not easy to care for, my Plum Crazy can get pretty dusty before you can even notice it and is nowhere as hard to care for as black.. and it almost looks like it would be..

good luck. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT Core
553 Posts
I notice just the lower parts get real dirty between washes,have not waxed it yet,you have to be real careful with bird poop it has a lot of grit in it.I would watch just using quick detailer on bird drops you need a lot of liquid to keep from scratching.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
good lookin car dude.. are those 245's front and rear or are they staggered? the fronts look bigger than my 245's.

yea, mine won't even look dirty and I use waterless wash behind the wheels and the microfiber will come off black. I think it's the tire shine slinging off my tires.. LOL

I agree, when I get bird poop on the paint I get waterless wash on it as soon as I can and flood it basically rinsing it off then I lightly wipe whatever may remain with more waterless wash or copious amounts of detail spray.

·
Premium Member
2014 Challenger SRT Core
553 Posts
good lookin car dude.. are those 245's front and rear or are they staggered? the fronts look bigger than my 245's.

yea, mine won't even look dirty and I use waterless wash behind the wheels and the microfiber will come off black. I think it's the tire shine slinging off my tires.. LOL

I agree, when I get bird poop on the paint I get waterless wash on it as soon as I can and flood it basically rinsing it off then I lightly wipe whatever may remain with more waterless wash or copious amounts of detail spray.
Thanks for the compliment,the tires are 245s all around probably just the way it looks in the pics,I get the same blackness on the bottom rear and lower bumper might be how the air flows I don't use tire shine so can't be that.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
maybe that's my situation too, the stuff I use (Adams Super VRT) is not supposed to sling off and it really doesn't shine, it just makes the tires look black and new.. honestly I just assumed that's what it was..

yea, your tires looked bigger in those photos and I've been thinking on replacing my 245's with 255's all around but not sure yet..

thanks.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
701 Posts
man...my view on the header orange is just the opposite...one of the easiest colors I have ever seen to keep looking clean....i washed mine once first 6 weeks, and never looked dirty. Now, I hate waxing cars, and to make look better, repel dirt and contaminates better, to eliminate need to wax (for about 2-3 years) I dropped mine off at a high end detailing outfit here in Houston. They will be applying a "new technology", high end paint sealant...cquartz I think is the name. They do a complete prep beforehand...and I have done my research so I am confident on the process. Its very expensive, around $500, but I feel, in the long it will be worth it. I wanted to do it while the paint was still in new, great shape..to reduce paint prep work before they applied the sealant. I'll post pics when I pick up...im sure I will be very happy with what I get. The place doing this...typically does things on very high end cars...there was a $1,000,000 McLaren...a tools Royce, and several very, very expensve cars there when I dropped mine. Most people will scoff at this approach...but they m willing to pay extra to protect the paint...and make it easier to keep it clean. You can probably find places that will do it cheaper...but these guys are supposed to be the best there is.....i'll update shortly....good luck.

·
Registered
701 Posts
man...my view on the header orange is just the opposite...one of the easiest colors I have ever seen to keep looking clean....i washed mine once first 6 weeks, and never looked dirty. Now, I hate waxing cars, and to make it look better, repel dirt and contaminates better, to eliminate need to wax (for about 2-3 years) I dropped mine off at a high end detailing outfit here in Houston. They will be applying a "new technology", high end paint sealant...cquartz I think is the name. They do a complete prep beforehand...and I have done my research so I am confident on the process. Its very expensive, around $500, but I feel, in the long it will be worth it. I wanted to do it while the paint was still in new, great shape..to reduce paint prep work before they applied the sealant. I'll post pics when I pick up...im sure I will be very happy with what I get. The place doing this...typically does things on very high end cars...there was a $1,000,000 McLaren...a Rolls Royce, and several very, very expensive cars there when I dropped mine. Most people will scoff at this approach...but I am willing to pay extra to protect the paint...and make it easier to keep it clean. You can probably find places that will do it cheaper...but these guys are supposed to be the best there is.....i'll update shortly....good luck.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Never rub dried bird poop without a lot of water first.. Use a good car wash liquid, rinse, towel dry and keep the car out from under the trees. Wax every few months for protection. Not really that complicated.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
Ok I have a new Header Orange Shaker with the Shaker graphics I picked it up the end of March. The dealer applied a paint sealant called Cila Jet. I have not waxed the car yet because of back surgery. My question is the shaker graphics are quite extensive any problem using a good carnauba wax on paint and graphics or be careful about the graphics. Never had to deal with that.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
I've got a phantom black with grey stripes - and am getting to grips with detailing technique. The paint loves the Meguiar's Ultimate carnuba wash/wax and then the follow with their quick spray-on wax. Gives a wonderful depth of shine and mirror-like finish
I have similar query to btcm in what the experts do with graphics etc - I have just been doing the stripes the same as the paint in my first tow attempts.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
personally, I would keep wax away from the stripes. I kinda masked mine off when I sealed and waxed my car but that might be more difficult with the "shaker" stripes.
my 2c's

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
If the wax you are using leaves a white powder it will discolor your satin finish graphics. If not, try on a small portion of your stripes.

I use carnuba wax and wax everything, stripes and all with no problem.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts