Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just finished a heads and cam install when I notice hot air coming from the passenger head near the fire wall. How much heat should be coming from the long tube headers? Its getting really hot by the coil packs in the back corner near fire wall is this normal?

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
they get hotbut should not be so hot theyare scaring you. are the cats cloged?

·
Registered
323 Posts
So I just finished a heads and cam install when I notice hot air coming from the passenger head near the fire wall. How much heat should be coming from the long tube headers? Its getting really hot by the coil packs in the back corner near fire wall is this normal?

And this is the reason we have headers JetHot coated regardless of their construction. It helps to keep the heat inside the pipes.

The factory exhaust is a clam shell type shield affair which is there to do the same thing.

Long tubes on my SRT8, JetHot and no issues at all. And it is hot here in FL most of the year.

If your car isn't an SRT8 have a look into opening up the hood vents, they exhaust near the rear of the hood and also help with cooling of that area.

--CC

·
Premium Member
17,155 Posts
And this is the reason we have headers JetHot coated regardless of their construction. It helps to keep the heat inside the pipes.

The factory exhaust is a clam shell type shield affair which is there to do the same thing.

Long tubes on my SRT8, JetHot and no issues at all. And it is hot here in FL most of the year.

If your car isn't an SRT8 have a look into opening up the hood vents, they exhaust near the rear of the hood and also help with cooling of that area.

--CC
Ditto. You definitely want to have ceramic coating on your LT headers. JetHot is the way to go. The coating will help keep the heat inside the headers and will assist with the exhaust flow rate.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Six years ago I bought some jet hot coated jba shorties for my C5 directly from jet hot at the jba uncoated price.I just checked to see if they had a deal for the Challenger. The original jet-hot went bankrupt and are just reorganizing, but there will be no more deals.Not sure how the purchasing will go, either jba will have the headers coated then ship to the end user . It could get complicated with multiple shipping charges, not something I want to deal with for a minimal 5HP gain.Jet-hot doesn't make HP, except in the sense of cooling down the engine compartment...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.