Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s going on guys, I’m looking to add long tube headers to the Chally and I was told without a unlocked pcm and the car being tuned it will throw a code. My question is what am I looking at price wise on average to unlock my pcm and to have the car tuned? This mod is strictly for sound, don’t care about the performance aspect honestly. Also does the place that tune your car usually unlock your pcm or do I need to find a totally separate place for that. Thank You

·
Registered
469 Posts
Not enough information provided. What year and model you have would be a good start.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I’ll let someone else comment on pcm unlock portion, I’m a 14’ and back car guy...

A reputable tuning shop will charge $4-500 for tuning the car (dyno included). It is necessary to have the car tuned in part so you have no CEL and also because the car will run much leaner at WOT without adding additional fuel into the tables on the tune.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
469 Posts
It will cost well over $3000 for the longtubes, midpipe, tune, and spare PCM. Over $4000 if you aren't installing your own parts. You can send out your PCM to get it unlocked and that will save you some money. And last but not least you're drivetrain warranty will probably be voided with these parts and tune. Especially the tune.

You also didn't mention where you lived so emission testing could be a problem for you.

·
Registered
689 Posts
As far as I know you can send your PCM to Diablo and or HPT to have it unlocked. As far as tuning is concerned that is a varying price deal. Each tuner has their own requirements which in turn vary the pricing. Header installation can be very expensive if not doing it yourself. I went to have a quote done and got quoted 2500. I did it myself but understand why they charge so much. It is very labor intensive. Best of luck to you in your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It will cost well over $3000 for the longtubes, midpipe, tune, and spare PCM. Over $4000 if you aren't installing your own parts. You can send out your PCM to get it unlocked and that will save you some money. And last but not least you're drivetrain warranty will probably be voided with these parts and tune. Especially the tune.

You also didn't mention where you lived so emission testing could be a problem for you.
Appreciate the information, I may just go the catless mid pipe route without the headers, as it’s cheaper and doesn’t necessarily require a tune. Headers I may get too sometime down the line. Again, I appreciate you taking the time to answer

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
Here is another data point:

I bought my stainless works headers and highflow cats for $1450 shipped (waited until Speedlogix had an end of year sale). Headers and midpipes or highflow cats can be had for cheaper if you wait for the sales.

Unlocking the PCM is $249 through HP tuners but you will also need the HP tuners MPVI2 ($299) and 2 credits (~$100). A tune will run you ~$400 to $600.

Installing them is a big pain in the butt but doable with just a handful of tools and patience (way easier to install headers in 4.6L mustang GT). Installation by a shop will run $800 to $1000.

BTW if you want the trans tweaked you will need 4 more credits ($200).

If you run high flow cats you should not have any codes pop up but if you go catless it is almost guaranteed which presents a problem if you live in a strict emissions state. Some have added cat simulators like these
but I have read it still does not cure the problem when going catless.

·
Registered
4,868 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
ChallyTatum
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing