·
Registered
2,809 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^definitly what he said.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh..i googled....read a few paragraphs...i guess I understand...are there big hp gains, better sound, etc....those ? Were not answered in the "google"

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Significant HP gains and definitely better gains than with a catback alone.
Typically louder exhaust note than factory setup---whether it sounds better than factory is subjective.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Assuming we decided to install headers, is this something I can do at home, or is the process a lot of drama. Difficult to access bolts, have to remove 3,000 other things before getting to the headers, etc, etc

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
Are a ***** to install, can increase hpand sound. Changes air to fuel ratio so can require a dyno tune.
The first part is what I thought, which is what I feared. I was hoping I was wrong though, and you'd realy tell me they were easy. ;)

·
Registered
4,224 Posts
Assuming we decided to install headers, is this something I can do at home, or is the process a lot of drama. Difficult to access bolts, have to remove 3,000 other things before getting to the headers, etc, etc
Set aside 10 hours for the install.

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
I have no problem spending that amount of time on a project over a weekend. But only if that is 10 hours for a dummy, not 10 hours for someone that has installed dozens of headers. :lol:
I'd set aside the whole weekend for it, and start Friday night. Especially if I was doing it on my back.

·
Super Moderator
09 RT Challenger auto
3,467 Posts
If you have not done any kind of wrenching on performance cars, old school or the new you may want to pay someone who does it for a liveing. Not trying to be a jerk by no means. You did ask "what do headers do" most people in the game who may attemp this mod know what they are and what they do. That made me think you are limited with maybe the tools and or the know how.
They are a *****, really. and i do mine on a lift making it much more easy.
You will have all kinds of Meat hanging off you knuckles in no time. I do.
I did have one bolt break off in the head, that was fun.
Then I had to tig weld a nut to the stud and use heat and wax to get it out.
You also may have a tuff time with the 02 sensors, removing them can be easy or difficult to say the least.
By no means am I saying not to if you really want to or try. How we learn.
Im just trying to let you know the easy way and the hard way. Good Luck in your choice.
Theres my 2c on the deal.
FlatTop

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Headers allow the escape of exhaust gases more freely. Typically exhaust manifolds restrict how quickly exhaust gases leave the cylinders. The quicker the combustion charge can escape helps the flow cycle of intake and exhaust gases.

In simple terms headers remove exhaust restrictions and allow the motor to breath easier.

In basic terms you build the short block to keep from coming apart. Strong crankshaft, rod and pistons to hold together at high RPM. You build the top side of the motor for horsepower. Which means flow as much air/fuel mixture, which makes horsepower. Good flowing heads, intake manifold, exhaust manifold (headers), camshaft helps the motor to pull in more air/gas and exit the combustion camber quicker.

Everything has to be combined to work together. You build the right combination of engine components, you make more horsepower.

Headers allow the motor to make more horsepower, but don't necessarily make that much horsepower by themselves.

I hope that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
707 Posts
I'd set aside the whole weekend for it, and start Friday night. Especially if I was doing it on my back.
Yeah, that was kind of the time commitment I was thinking would be involved. And I would be on my back crawling under the car with it sitting up on jack stands. No fun.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
This may not be the answer you want, but I'd look into other options that are easier and cheaper to gain more horsepower. To me, my car sounds great as it is and I have enough power to satisfy me for now. The work/money involved changing the manifolds into headers is too much IMO for maybe 10-15hp. If I had money to burn I would get long tubes to get the most gains, have a reputable shop install it, and as mentioned earlier, get a custom tune to accommodate the increased air flow.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
If you have an SRT you already have short tube headers on it so the HP gains will be nominal unless you are doing a bunch of other stuff too (CAI, catback, tuner&tune, etc...)

They will definitely change the tone of the sound of your car...some like it better some dont....I didnt like the raspy sound they added to my last car.

As far as installation goes, they are ONLY 8 bolts on each side of the motor... :p ...but with that said, you have to remove your intake, starter, and usually prop up your motor in order to get to the back 2 cylinders. If your car is relatively new, you probably dont have to worry about busting off the posts, rusted on bolts etc...its really just a matter of getting to the bolts to remove them. If you have a friend helping it is not that bad a job, just very time consuming. I have done 5 cars in my garage, on my back with cars on jack stands. The hardest part is getting to the bolts, seeing what you are doing, and praying nothing breaks. I would suggest ratcheting end wrenches with the tilting heads so you can get to it all. But there is nothing mechanically difficult in doing them, its all about creating the clearance to get to the bolts...

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Headers are only neccessary if you're doing forced induction or going with a stroker. If you want them to have sound or have a slight power increase by themselves then you're wasting time, money and effort.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Headers are only neccessary if you're doing forced induction or going with a stroker. If you want them to have sound or have a slight power increase by themselves then you're wasting time, money and effort.

I'll add; in a 392, if you were to do a 270 cam, ported/polished heads, CAI; definitely go with long tubes AND tune. Just last week spoke with one of the vendors on this great site and that combo would make approx 90 to the wheels. He even emailed me the entire estimate.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I'll add; in a 392, if you were to do a 270 cam, ported/polished heads, CAI; definitely go with long tubes AND tune. Just last week spoke with one of the vendors on this great site and that combo would make approx 90 to the wheels. He even emailed me the entire estimate.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
and that estimate was...... :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts