Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
If you are looking to save money go with the JBA long tubes and cat-less mids to really wake up that hemi! Ask me how I know?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
My opinion is it's hard to beat Kooks in overall quality. But when you put the price qualifier in there I have to give a second vote to JBA. I have the titanium coated long tube headers and have no complaints from them whatsoever. Pair them with the JBA catless mids and you have a great sounding car.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yea u are right^ u can't beat kooks quality but kooks price really makes u think hard about clicking that submit order button lol but I'm happy with my JBA's and I have no complaints have had them for 3 months now.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Yea u are right^ u can't beat kooks quality but kooks price really makes u think hard about clicking that submit order button lol but I'm happy with my JBA's and I have no complaints have had them for 3 months now.

Any ideas on the actual hp gains?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I can not give a number to just the headers as I did heads, 392 cam, and headers all at once. Sorry. I got about 60whp from all those items. I think standalone they may not produce huge numbers but in conjunction with other breathing improvements they help improve upon each additional mod done.

The sound though. Oh my the sound. It really opens up the sound and she begins to sound much more like the true muscle cars I remember my dad having. Many people compliment my car on really capturing and nailing the sound of a muscle car.

·
Registered
260 Posts
@ pietran30 I can't really give an actual hp number either because I got a ported 6.1 intake manny, mm ported heads, and the headers installed in one visit and to mention I already had the Arrington XC-blue camshaft.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Kooks longtube and green catted high flow cats are worth between 35 to 40hps
Luke
Wild. I wouldn't of thought that LTH would account for 40 of the 60whp from a 392 cam, heads, and headers. Was the 35-40 on a 5.7?

·
Vendor
12,557 Posts
Wild. I wouldn't of thought that LTH would account for 40 of the 60whp from a 392 cam, heads, and headers. Was the 35-40 on a 5.7?
on 6.4L, repeating the numbers from Koolaid my rep at Kooks

on the last one we did sometime ago, that didnt involve supercharging,
we did throttle body, long tubes and green catted high flow cats, custom tuning and gained 47hps, compared to previous 93 diablo tune

Luke

·
Premium Member
5,634 Posts
American Racing Headers hands down !

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
on 6.4L, repeating the numbers from Koolaid my rep at Kooks

on the last one we did sometime ago, that didnt involve supercharging,
we did throttle body, long tubes and green catted high flow cats, custom tuning and gained 47hps, compared to previous 93 diablo tune

Luke
Do you recall if they were 1 3/4 or 17/8. Sorry for the twenty questions. I am trying to get a picture together in my head. I thought that my heads, headers, and 392 cam would net me more than 60 combined whp. There might have been some left on the table in tuning maybe.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yea tuning has always been an issue for these motors with the cam swaps and usually the 6.4 engines go with the 1 7/8 and the 5.7 engines go with the 1 3/4 I was told not to go with the 1 7/8 unless I planned on going forced inducted very soon other wise I would loose a lot of bottom end power and gain more on the top I wanted more usable power for now and when I do get the super charger the 1 3/4 will do just fine and make sure u get the 3 inch collectors.

·
Registered
92 Posts
40hp from just longtubes is the biggest joke I've ever heard, I dyno'ed mine before and after install, mine only gained 16hp. 5.7's you may gain alittle more due to the manifolds are not as good as the shortys that come factory on the 6.4 already. Also don't forget your gonna loose some bottom end torque with longtubes, so unless you plan on supercharging and everything I wouldn't go with longtubes, rather keep the torque than gain a couple of horses. But that's just me and my 2 cents

·
Vendor
12,557 Posts
Do you recall if they were 1 3/4 or 17/8. Sorry for the twenty questions. I am trying to get a picture together in my head. I thought that my heads, headers, and 392 cam would net me more than 60 combined whp. There might have been some left on the table in tuning maybe.
dont know, i wasnt there, like i said earlier repeating numbers given to me by Kooks, however i trust what they tell me, have no reason not too
luke

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
40hp from just longtubes is the biggest joke I've ever heard, I dyno'ed mine before and after install, mine only gained 16hp. 5.7's you may gain alittle more due to the manifolds are not as good as the shortys that come factory on the 6.4 already. Also don't forget your gonna loose some bottom end torque with longtubes, so unless you plan on supercharging and everything I wouldn't go with longtubes, rather keep the torque than gain a couple of horses. But that's just me and my 2 cents
All the sheets I have seen for 6.4's go along with what your saying.

But your wrong about the low end, unless you are talking about going to 1 7/8's which are a little too big for the 5.7

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f18/rt-before-after-arh-long-tubes-135953/

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Long tubes properly sized (1.75" for R/T), will give NA 5.7Ls extra 10-15hp over shorties, but if you plan on Supercharging save the money and go shorties, since that negates the reason to have TUNED headers. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts