Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to get a set of stock 6.4 shortie headers.....is it worth putting those on a 16 5.7 and would they be a direct bolt on? Any advice appreciated thanks

·
Registered
9,662 Posts
You'll need the 6.4 mids too. A lot of folks have done this on this forum.

A PITA job to do, and expensive to have any shop do it. Gains, well folks say anywhere between 10-20HP, Opinions vary.

·
Registered
582 Posts
For the same money and install you can get a set of long tubes. I’m assuming your plans also involve tuning. I did them on my 6.4, around post 146 I took a bunch of pics for the install. People can knock these all they want , but I’d put them right next to a set of kooks or my arh for about 1/10 the price.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...om/board/showthread.php?t=398367&share_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
I just installed stainless works LT headers (2 inch primaries) and high flow cats during xmas break (a little over $1200 shipped). Driver side was easy but such a tease as the passenger side is a PITA just like everyone said it would be...it's the threading of the bolts of the top 2 front bolts that will drive you insane. I used 12" wheel cribs and had plenty of room. Did everything from the bottom of the car but I did remove the engine mounts (one at a time). Only reason I would put shorties on is if I could get them and the mid pipes for less than 1/2 what I paid for the LTs. BTW you would think the LT headers with corsa extreme exhaust would be crazy loud...but it is not and at idle is quieter than stock...at WOT it definitely louder and deeper tone.

·
Registered
582 Posts
^^^^ this , and remember to thread your bottom bolts in prior to the header so you can just slip it on the slotted holes. I had a buddy help , an extra set of hands goes a long way. I managed to not pull the motor mounts , the only thin I disconnected was the steering column. This is on a 392 though , so it may be a tad different.

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
I did shorties on my 5.7, they are CARB legal in CA where long tubes are not. The JBA shorties are a direct bolt on and are not that tough to install. There was a noticeable increase in power but its not earth shattering. Feels about the same as a tune on a stock engine.

Reactions: 19johned53

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
^^^^ this , and remember to thread your bottom bolts in prior to the header so you can just slip it on the slotted holes. I had a buddy help , an extra set of hands goes a long way. I managed to not pull the motor mounts , the only thin I disconnected was the steering column. This is on a 392 though , so it may be a tad different.

I could not get the heat shields off without removing the mounts. Did you just deform them to get them out? I will say taking the mounts off makes getting to the bolts so much easier but the top bolt between cylinder 2 and 4 was an MF'er!!! :soapbox: I was cussing so much my wife popped her head in the garage and asked "who was I talking to?"

·
Registered
582 Posts
I could not get the heat shields off without removing the mounts. Did you just deform them to get them out? I will say taking the mounts off makes getting to the bolts so much easier but the top bolt between cylinder 2 and 4 was an MF'er!!! :soapbox: I was cussing so much my wife popped her head in the garage and asked "who was I talking to?"

Sorry I forgot about the shields on the 5.7’s . Mine is a 6.4, but he guy helping me out also just swapped to the 6.4 shorties on his 5.7. We pulled the coil packs to help reach those bolts. We’ll just say there were many cuts on our hands , so I’d say jacking the motor will certainly not hurt any!!
Not to jack the thread , but how are you liking your magnuson? I’ve been really thinking hard about one and found a used one at a decent price.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
I love the maggie...quiet...reliable...well-mannered....and gives me power when I want it. I really dig the raw, waffle look to it as well. If you are getting a used one there is a pretty good chance the hose barbs that go into the engine are damaged and it would be advisable to tap the water pump and timing chain cover and install MNPT to hose barb connects. Other than that, not much to them in terms of installing, one man operation except for mount the blower on top of the heads. Also, get yourself and aftermarket, in-tank, high output pump like Arrington/Stevewhite offer. The 6.4 with a maggie will put you in the 550ish RWHP.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
For the same money and install you can get a set of long tubes. I’m assuming your plans also involve tuning. I did them on my 6.4, around post 146 I took a bunch of pics for the install. People can knock these all they want , but I’d put them right next to a set of kooks or my arh for about 1/10 the price.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...om/board/showthread.php?t=398367&share_type=t

What did you use for mid pipes?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
582 Posts
What did you use for mid pipes?

You can use any mid really , just may have to change to a ball/socket flange. Kooks are a direct bolt on. I fabbed my own using oem pieces , Flowmaster high flow cats, and ball/socket flange adapters. It’s all in that thread , around post #146.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
You can use any mid really , just may have to change to a ball/socket flange. Kooks are a direct bolt on. I fabbed my own using oem pieces , Flowmaster high flow cats, and ball/socket flange adapters. It’s all in that thread , around post #146.

Thanks. I need go read that thread again.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts

I am pulling the trigger on a set like this. Not as cheap in price but $199 make offer. These should fit 2016 5.7?

·
Registered
582 Posts
I am pulling the trigger on a set like this. Not as cheap in price but $199 make offer. These should fit 2016 5.7?

Looks like they jacked the price a little. Yessir , there are a few guys in that thread that have them on 5.7’s. I don’t think you have the dent them near the starter like I did either.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Looks like they jacked the price a little. Yessir , there are a few guys in that thread that have them on 5.7’s. I don’t think you have the dent them near the starter like I did either.

I made an offer but still great price. I will use high flow cats and use stock mids. Not in a big hurry, just getting all ducks in a row for when it's time. Only have 17k miles on it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts