Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy headers for my 2015 R/T Shaker Plus. I would appreciate some recommendations. I want to increase power in the car.I don't want to spend more than $1500 or so on them. And if I were to upgrade to new headers would it be a complete waste not to buy a new exhaust?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Long tubes will require a tune which will basically void your power train warranty. Are you okay with that?

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
I want to buy headers for my 2015 R/T Shaker Plus. I would appreciate some recommendations. I want to increase power in the car.I don't want to spend more than $1500 or so on them. And if I were to upgrade to new headers would it be a complete waste not to buy a new exhaust?
With that budget you can get top of line... I recommend American Racing or TTI.. With Mid pipes you may go just a little over 1500 but not much.

As for the exhaust no need to upgrade to support the headers. The factory exhaust is a straight through design, no restrictions. You could gain some top end going from the 2.5inch up to 2.75 or 3inch exhaust but if you're not making any other changes to the engine the benefit wouldn't be worth the $$$ IMO.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I wouldn't even worry about getting a new exhaust. I just did my headers and it's the only modification to my car. The car feels like a completely different animal now, it's actually pretty crazy! Your stock exhaust is fine, guys aren't really seeing much for improvements in ET's and HP with catbacks. Nice thing is doing headers makes your car sound just awesome even with the stock exhaust. I went with stainless works headers and catted mids. It was $1600 USD. I ended up getting a hemifever tune for $160 after the install. It was 100% worth it. I made a comment that if I would've known what my car would be like after installing the long tubes when I bought my car I would've got them years ago!

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
headers also restrict the warranty......
Luke V
Luke, just a couple questions, would swapping out the exhaust from an R/T to a factory SRT set up hurt the warranty? Would swapping the factory cat back system from a 2018 R/T (Automatic) to a 2015 R/T Automatic hurt the warranty? (I know I would have to delete the active valves). Is the 2018 oem exhaust available? Cost of an oem cat back?
Thanks

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Remember, on +2015's getting a tune requires an unlocked PCM so it's going to cost more compared to a pre-2015 model. If you wait a couple of months a lot of vendors will have some good sale prices. I bought my SW catted headers for 20% off with free shipping.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Remember, on +2015's getting a tune requires an unlocked PCM so it's going to cost more compared to a pre-2015 model. If you wait a couple of months a lot of vendors will have some good sale prices. I bought my SW catted headers for 20% off with free shipping.
Good point!

·
Vendor
11,688 Posts
Luke, just a couple questions, would swapping out the exhaust from an R/T to a factory SRT set up hurt the warranty? Would swapping the factory cat back system from a 2018 R/T (Automatic) to a 2015 R/T Automatic hurt the warranty? (I know I would have to delete the active valves). Is the 2018 oem exhaust available? Cost of an oem cat back?
Thanks
anything forward of the mid pipes, including the mid pipes has the potential for restricting the warranty, anything behind the cats, does not, cold air intakes are fine as long as they are dry media, no oiled filters
Luke

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
anything forward of the mid pipes, including the mid pipes has the potential for restricting the warranty, anything behind the cats, does not, cold air intakes are fine as long as they are dry media, no oiled filters
Luke
I am sure some dealerships will restrict the warranty if a cat back system is installed on car equipped with active exhaust, no?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just wanted to throw in a warranty clarification. Modifying your car will not automatically “void” your warranty for that area of the car (like power train). Dodge may deny a claim if your mod caused the failure, but the warranty will still remain. So if you have headers and then a fuel injector fails, unless they can prove the headers caused the failure, the fuel injector is still a warrantable failure.

There are many dealers out there who will try to tell you otherwise, but do your research and fight back. BTW, I’m the global warranty chief for a very large transmission company, and I deal will this issue often (always taking the side of the customer : )...

Source: Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
“The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that a dealer must prove that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny a warranty claim”

http://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=granuleid:USC-prelim-title15-chapter50&edition=prelim
https://www.edmunds.com/g00/auto-warranty/what-voids-your-vehicles-warranty.html?i10c.encReferrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8=&i10c.ua=1&i10c.dv=14

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Just wanted to throw in a warranty clarification. Modifying your car will not automatically “void” your warranty for that area of the car (like power train). Dodge may deny a claim if your mod caused the failure, but the warranty will still remain. So if you have headers and then a fuel injector fails, unless they can prove the headers caused the failure, the fuel injector is still a warrantable failure.

There are many dealers out there who will try to tell you otherwise, but do your research and fight back. BTW, I’m the global warranty chief for a very large transmission company, and I deal will this issue often (always taking the side of the customer : )...

“The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that a dealer must prove that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny a warranty claim”

[USC04] 15 USC Ch. 50: CONSUMER PRODUCT WARRANTIES
https://www.edmunds.com/g00/auto-warranty/what-voids-your-vehicles-warranty.html?i10c.encReferrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbS8=&i10c.ua=1&i10c.dv=14
You install a header, that makes the a/f lean, the cylinders overheat (get to a higher temp. than the components are designed for) causing your fuel injector to prematurely fail. You want to keep the A/F ratio correct so you tune for your headers and well, since you tuned it they will not warranty it.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Luke
K&N specifically state that use of their filters will not void a warranty...

Are the new oem cat backs available for retro fit on older (2015) vehicles? Is there a simple way to delete the active valves? is this even cost effective?

·
Registered
522 Posts
You install a header, that makes the a/f lean, the cylinders overheat (get to a higher temp. than the components are designed for) causing your fuel injector to prematurely fail. You want to keep the A/F ratio correct so you tune for your headers and well, since you tuned it they will not warranty it.

Or you don't tune it and that makes your header install responsible for the injector fail and you're screwed anyway. There's no lesser of two evils.

·
Vendor
11,688 Posts

[USC04] 15 USC Ch. 50: CONSUMER PRODUCT WARRANTIES
in dream land perhaps, but in the real world, the manufacturer will decline warranty and its up to you to fight, and unfortunately they have much deeper pockets than most people do.....:crying:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts