Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a JLT air intake for my Challenger Scat Pack. There is a ton of heat-soak when I'm stopped and I think it's hot air come in through the hole in the front (if your not familiar with the JLT airbox it has a hole in the bottom and a square hole in the front facing the headlight). Once I start driving it cools back down but I still don't like it and I think its sucking in hot air from the radiator when I'm driving as the IAT is always at least 3-4 degrees above ambient. I'm having JLT send me the foam for the Hellcat headlamp intake tube and need the tube (the foam makes the square hole a 4" round hole). Pricing on those tubes is ridiculous, $50-$85 for a plastic tube, WTF?

Anyone know if a less expensive aftermarket tube?

Has anyone ever just bought a 4" tube and did a DIY tube? 4" or 4.25"? Rubber hose or aluminum ducting? Something like that?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,706 Posts

A Guy

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was wondering if that one fit the stock box (if it fits th stock it will fit the JLT).

Also still wondering if anyone has gone the DIY rout.
Text Font

Text Font

·
Registered
981 Posts
Not that I’ve seen, I just bought the tube and the Hellcat bottom.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Did I get right that 3-4 degrees above ambient is what you are considering as high heat soak or is it higher when idling? If idling, how high does it get?

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack Charger [email protected] 96
235 Posts
If you are at 3-4 above ambient at idle you are Good...you will be or should or excuse me but better 🐝 ambient on the Loud Pedal. Can't wait to do some testing here....after lockdown.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Here is what im looking at:
Ambient/IAT (car is warmed up)
25-35mph: 64/77
50-65mph: 66/71
Idle: 64/115

Gauge Auto part Vehicle Car Measuring instrument
Car Vehicle Auto part
Vehicle Car Gauge Auto part Measuring instrument

(Forgot to snap a picture at idle)

I think what is happening is when I'm driving the open headlight lets in cool air but since the radiator is right there it's not enough to clear out all the ambient heat, but when stopped the engine compartment heats that area back up. I need to test how long it takes to heat up when stopped. I want to say it will get over 100 within 30-40 seconds but don't recal for sure.

I haven't thought to check during WOT, I'm usually paying attention to the road. I will take her out for a spin soon and test it.

But hopefully when I install the headlight tube it won't matter. The foam should come middle of this coming week.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have found that boom mat works good here. Take the air filter out. Look down through triangle. You are sucking hot engine air from engine bay. A flashlight is your friend here. Once intake temps are under control the ski is the limit. Throttle response oh yeah!!!. I draw all my air around fog light now, Charger.

·
Registered
301 Posts
That's pretty decent and about what you would see with the hellcat lower airbox, which most think is about as good as it gets. The air catcher needs speed to make a big difference. Mine, with the HC box will run 3-5 over at highway speeds of about 70, and drop as I go faster. Freeway speeds around here are around 80 a lot of the time and I'll start seeing 2-3 above and then near ambient up there and faster. Air needs to move through the system to be cool. I am not sure if access to cool air or the slight pressure that makes and theoretical benefit, or maybe both.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Remember too the hellcat box is bigger too, open to the filter.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im not concerned with being 3-4 degrees above ambient, I'm worried about the heat spike when idling.

Technology Audio equipment Electronic device

This is normal? That's gotta kill performance. It doesn't cool down until I have been rolling for a block or 2. If it cooled down faster I wouldn't be worried. But right now from a stop if I go WOT the IAT doesn't drop until I'm up to freeway speeds.

I got the foam from JLT and ordered the headlight tube which arrives Friday. Hopefully it will help.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I’m sorry and I’m not trying to be a dick here...but are you saying you have the JLT intake with a giant hole in the front and it’s not connected to the headlight intake currently? And you’re wondering why at a stop the IAT sky rockets while your engine fills full of hot air?

·
Registered
301 Posts
Get a proper tube in there and seal the hole and it will be fine. You will never totally eliminate the heat soak, but it won't be what you are seeing now. At idle, there isn't much air moving through the system so it will never be as cool as when moving.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’m sorry and I’m not trying to be a dick here...but are you saying you have the JLT intake with a giant hole in the front and it’s not connected to the headlight intake currently? And you’re wondering why at a stop the IAT sky rockets while your engine fills full of hot air?
The Scat Pack CAI from JLT doesn't come with the foam or a tube.

Originally I wasn't sure where the heat was coming from. There were other possibilities. When I first installed the CAI I wasn't sure if there was a lot of heat in that area (behind the headlight) since it is not part of the engine bay. After posting I opened that area up and took a better look and realized there is a rather larger gap leading to the engine AND the radiator is right there. Even if I closed the gap to the engine bay the radiator would be heating that area up.

So I figured out that has to be the main source of heat soak. Hence why I got the hellcat foam and headlight tube. There might be some other work to be done but thats where I'm starting.

Even after I install those parts it's possible I might need to do more. I know there will always be heatsoak, even more than with the stock setup, I just want to elevate as much as possible. I have a few other ideas for better shielding if the headlight tube doesn't keep the IATs as low as I want. It's not a completely closed box and never will be, but there are still some things I can do to mitigate heatsoak.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I bet some adhesive heat shielding around the airbox, at least on the engine side, would help. Also making sure the top seals to the hood.

·
Registered
981 Posts
The Scat Pack CAI from JLT doesn't come with the foam or a tube.

Originally I wasn't sure where the heat was coming from. There were other possibilities. When I first installed the CAI I wasn't sure if there was a lot of heat in that area (behind the headlight) since it is not part of the engine bay. After posting I opened that area up and took a better look and realized there is a rather larger gap leading to the engine AND the radiator is right there. Even if I closed the gap to the engine bay the radiator would be heating that area up.

So I figured out that has to be the main source of heat soak. Hence why I got the hellcat foam and headlight tube. There might be some other work to be done but thats where I'm starting.

Even after I install those parts it's possible I might need to do more. I know there will always be heatsoak, even more than with the stock setup, I just want to elevate as much as possible. I have a few other ideas for better shielding if the headlight tube doesn't keep the IATs as low as I want. It's not a completely closed box and never will be, but there are still some things I can do to mitigate heatsoak.
It’s criminal they don’t include an intake tube. More what i was referring to was that their intake is designed to take the intake tube and if not used there’s just a hole there?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts