Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger R/T 5.7
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about getting the Mopar CAI and headlight air duct for my '20 RT. Was wondering if anyone has done this or any other headlight scoop if they've had issues with rain or other things that don't belong getting in there. Also wondering if it makes any difference or if it's just more of a "so i can say I have it" kinda mod. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
'16 A8 Scat Pack
10,924 Posts
Best bang for the buck is the HC bottom air box and air tube IMO.

This won't increase intake sound or HP bump, but more ambiet air coming into the air box will lower the temps and reduce heat soak in hot weather.

I've noticed crisper throttle response during hot weather driving with this set up on my 392.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger R/T 5.7 Octane Red Pearlcoat
16 Posts
I Nixed the idea of same as everyone else mod. I fabricated my own with some store bought elbows, 2 cone filters ,and some turbo couplers. Had to fabricate a new windshield wiper reservoir ,also with a fill hose and screw on cap. Huge throttle response. No more sucking sound from having a factory air box when punching trottle to floorpan. Video is on my Instagram account 19RTChallenger.
Passenger side
driver side
Both visible

·
Registered
244 Posts
You want this set-up?

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,714 Posts
View attachment 1017431 I Nixed the idea of same as everyone else mod. I fabricated my own with some store bought elbows, 2 cone filters ,and some turbo couplers. Had to fabricate a new windshield wiper reservoir ,also with a fill hose and screw on cap. Huge throttle response. No more sucking sound from having a factory air box when punching trottle to floorpan. Video is on my Instagram account 19RTChallenger.Passenger sidedriver sideBoth visible
Where are your filters? Can you post a pic of how they mount? Very cool setup!

Reactions: RockanRoll

·
Registered
16 Posts
I welded a tab to the right side Radiatotr core to match left side where factory airbox tab is. I welded tabs on top of the black duct metal to come out and meet the core support. Held up with factory 8mm bolts on pinch tabs instead of a nut. I'll see if I can find a picture. I am not around my car now but I will look. Also have I have a piece of high heat rubber around brake lines in case the air ducts sagged at all and so it wouldn't compromise my brake system. Cut hard rubber fuel line and wrapped each brake line under the duct. Then all the connectors hold each its self up. I originally put some zip ties at back of filters for just in case but were not needed.

·
Registered
291 Posts
View attachment 1017431 I Nixed the idea of same as everyone else mod. I fabricated my own with some store bought elbows, 2 cone filters ,and some turbo couplers. Had to fabricate a new windshield wiper reservoir ,also with a fill hose and screw on cap. Huge throttle response. No more sucking sound from having a factory air box when punching trottle to floorpan. Video is on my Instagram account 19RTChallenger. View attachment 1017432 Passenger side View attachment 1017433 driver side View attachment 1017434 Both visible
Now THAT is what should be available. You should file a patent, then sell the idea to one of the companies to market. Then live off the royalties! Kudos to making the perfect intake

·
Premium Member
4,714 Posts
I'm holding off actual judgement until I see how there is 2 air filters in the system. But I do like it for track usage.

Reactions: Loopy

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger R/T 5.7
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I haven't settled on an intake yet, but I was thinking Mopar in the hopes of not messing with my warranty. Either the cold air or the hellcat box and tube. Haven't even hit 1k miles on her yet, so I'm still trying to stay in the good graces of Chrysler, but i wanna do some mods.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm holding off actual judgement until I see how there is 2 air filters in the system. But I do like it for track usage.
If you like I'll remove the core support cover and take a photo showing both air filters again. A two into one system.

1 Intake temperature sensor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
K&N filters are not the size o need in stock. I got these short fat ones off amazon. 15 each. Work good. Replace them every 2 months because the price is cheap but no issues with rain or washing.

·
Registered
244 Posts
K&N filters are not the size o need in stock. I got these short fat ones off amazon. 15 each. Work good. Replace them every 2 months because the price is cheap but no issues with rain or washing.
You unfortunately are ingesting double the amount of hot engine bay air.
All that metal piping is absorbing all the engine temperatures creating heat soak.

Air takes the path of least resistance... it's not drawing lower temperature ambient air through the turn signal openings.

You could improve the design by building a plenum box around each of the filters and only allow fresh air to be drawn through the turn signal openings.

Looks "neat", but extremely ineffective.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You unfortunately are ingesting double the amount of hot engine bay air.
All that metal piping is absorbing all the engine temperatures creating heat soak.

Air takes the path of least resistance... it's not drawing lower temperature ambient air through the turn signal openings.

You could improve the design by building a plenum box around each of the filters and only allow fresh air to be drawn through the turn signal openings.

Looks "neat", but extremely ineffective.
If you say so. Thanks for the input.
Does what I need. I am not on a race track and it performs better than the stock air box and the mopar cold air intake for scat pack set up with headlight duct intake tube.
Maybe a box around the filter may keep the cooler air in versus all the air. Besides aluminum doesn't hold the heat like steel. Neither does plastic.

·
Premium Member
4,714 Posts
If you like I'll remove the core support cover and take a photo showing both air filters again. A two into one system. View attachment 1017528
1 Intake temperature sensor.
AH, cool I get it now, those are the inverse cone type with air coming in the middle as well? With 2 of those, flow should be just fine. As for heat soak, who knows, shiny metal should reflect it, for kicks to make it look even better, I'd put a thermal wrap on it. I like that look.
And some type of housing around the filters would be good as well, but really that is great as is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
AH, cool I get it now, those are the inverse cone type with air coming in the middle as well? With 2 of those, flow should be just fine. As for heat soak, who knows, shiny metal should reflect it, for kicks to make it look even better, I'd put a thermal wrap on it. I like that look.
And some type of housing around the filters would be good as well, but really that is great as is.
I hadn't thought of thermal wrap but I like it idea is growing on me now. Gee thanks. Some of the parts before installed. K&N makes a filter like this about 90 dollars each and backordered so I got these next day cheap.

·
Premium Member
4,660 Posts
“The hole in the headlight was actually put there because we required a certain amount of pressure drop across the intake system to generate 707 hp,” Cowland told AE. “Certainly if we took that away and we increased that pressure drop across the intake system, we would lose horsepower. We’ve never measured it by blocking it off or taking it away, but it could well be seven horsepower.” A second inlet point is located underneath the airbox.

·
Registered
16 Posts
“The hole in the headlight was actually put there because we required a certain amount of pressure drop across the intake system to generate 707 hp,” Cowland told AE. “Certainly if we took that away and we increased that pressure drop across the intake system, we would lose horsepower. We’ve never measured it by blocking it off or taking it away, but it could well be seven horsepower.” A second inlet point is located underneath the airbox.

Good to know. But I have a 5.7 R/T not a hellcat and it has helped with trottle response and it's a difference you can feel with 2 cold air coming in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
IDK....I'm thinking its ingesting the same amount of air as before.
Well it is more of an instant response on throttle now. Before there was a slight lag an you could here the engine sucking air. Now air is being pushed in as long as you as re driving. So image you are doing 65pmh and you punch. Big difference compared to stock air box. That's a fact

1 - 20 of 30 Posts