Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Does anyone know where we can order just the twist in headlight dust covers for a 2016 sxt? I can only find them with the whole assembly! My service department at the dealer is kind of crooked and will void my warranty for the slightest thing so I need an extra set of undrilled dust covers so I can put them back in with the factory haolgen bulbs if i take it in for service.

Just to give everyone an idea of the BS I was told by the service manager..... " you have to buy maintenance items such as the air filter only from our Mopar service department or your warranty can be voided" which is total crap as a puralator and a wix filter meet oem specs :/

Any info on these caps is Greatly appreciated

thank you,
Brandon

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Just to give everyone an idea of the BS I was told by the service manager..... " you have to buy maintenance items such as the air filter only from our Mopar service department or your warranty can be voided"
What dealer is that, so we know not to go there.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,932 Posts
1st off, you can never trust a word out of that guys mouth based on those statements, go elsewhere, it is your prerogative.

2nd, have you already drilled the originals? If not, why not buy aftermarket for the HID install? You can get extended, etc., whatever you need

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/accessories/build-materials.html

A Guy

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A guy,

Thanks for the response. I am afraid they will flag my vin at this dealer if I upset them. If they flag it at one, all dealers will have it flagged for warranty. Unfortunately, I wouldn't have the time or manpower to fight legally. If it's driveable I'm taking it to another dealer. If not I'll try to pay extra towing to go to another dealer but usually they only take it to the closest dealer. It's really frustrating though. I wanted to put hid in my car and this DA said that would void my warranty. I even called chrysler about this BS and the ignorant customer service rep tried to tell me the same crap about if i dont use mopar parts for everything my warranty will be voided. Puts a bad taste in my mouth man. I did find a good service manager that was perfectly fine with me putting in aftermarket stuff as long as it was good quality. He is an hour away but by all means I'll pay extra towing or drive that way to him.

On another note lol, I have not drilled the covers and have been debating whether to go hid or led but I really like hid especially on my Ram. I don't understand how the extensions work though. Could you explain that a little? It seems like I would still have to drill a big hole in my cover to let the rubber extension go through the hole in the cap?

Brandon

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,932 Posts
1st off, again, they can't "flag your VIN", for what? Changing headlights? Not anything that would affect your warranty in any way. They cannot void your warranty, period. if you added something, brakes, whatever, and then had a failure directly contributable to that mod, they could deny the warranty on that item, but it doesn't void your warranty. every other item covered by warranty would still be covered. I know you are worried, but again, if that dealer is feeding you that line of BS, you need to go elsewhere.

Now, the extensions. they replace the original caps. You put the originals in a box and keep them. The extensions, replacement caps, whatever your particular setup would need are then the covers. There are many paces that sell them, you may have to modify, and find the right size, but your originals remain unchanged in the box ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A guy,
Thank you sir for the reassurance and responses. You have been a big help in clearing up alot of my worry. I think that they are feeding me this crap because I'm a 22 year old kid and they assume I'm stupid. But little do they know I just started as an auto engineer and we make and design parts for auto makers including chrysler :D. The whole "flag my vin" thing was explained as they would void my warranty and attach that void to my vin to prevent me from trying to visit another dealer for warranty work lol.

Also, the link you posted was great for the HID kit and I may end up going with a kit from them. Thank you for that as well have a great day man!

·
Premium Member
1,448 Posts
Replacement parts do not have to come from your dealer in order to satisfy the warranty, thats BS. Ask to see that in writing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
GaryT,

I got the warranty in writing and it only Suggests or Recommends mopar service parts.

I stated this to them and showed them at the dealer and the Chrysler rep for the 1-800 number in Michigan. They still tried to say "well even if it isn't required it's strongly suggested because we reserve the right to void your warranty. Even if a part meets oem specs we can void the warranty because it's not a mopar part."

I'm forwarding all the conversations to their legal department and some of the executives at Chrysler. Load of BS, GM never gave my family this much crap and were much more lenient lol.

But on the other hand as A Guy suggested, I found a very nice dodge service manager and will drive the extra hour or tow it that extra hour if I ever need warranty work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just my two cents based on what I've found doing some research in preparation for some of my own modding. Look into the Manguson-Moss Warranty Act. My understanding of it (granted I am not an attorney) is that they cannot void your warranty. The only way the can evade paying for a repair is if they can show that the modification you made DIRECTLY led to to the problem or damage that you are looking to have resolved. This does not, however, void the entire warranty. Any grandstanding the shop or stealership does is basically hot air unless they can show that your mod caused the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts