Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to run into town the other night and started to drive the Challenger, then for some reason, decided to drive the Avalanche. Got two miles down the road and a big buck came out of he ditch. The Avalanche took one for the team... minor damage to the bumper angle, pretty sure I can fix it myself. Sure glad I wasn't driving the Challenger.

Okay, so I read the thread regarding adding HID lights and decided I don't want to do that, what other options are there to upgrade the headlights.

My headlights are poor compared to my other vehicles.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I've read the Sylvania Silverstars or Whitestars?? are very bright, but they don't last long. I think that's what you'll find in general. You give up longevity if you want more lumens.

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
I put Sylvania Silverstars in the Yukon we had and they were better than the stock bulbs. One bulb burned out in the time we owned it (8 years).

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
Silverstar's from Sylvania are a great improvement over stock. They are fairly short lived with average life of less than a year. There is a chart on the back of the package that gives life expectancy.

·
Registered
350 Posts
all silverstars are is a basic bulb with a coating that actually reduces your usable light output. If you dont want to get drastic just get these...

HIR bulbs....

HIR Headlights 9011 9012 bulbs

If you frequently drive on empty roads (IE just you) Then why not add some HID spot lights to your truck Put them on a small bull bar. Adds a neat look and super functional. The set up I plan to put on my yukon is some piaa 510s in the stock fog lights hole, some HID flood beam on a bull bar, and 4 HID spot beams up top on a roof rack. That way I get nice wide beam from the lights down low, and super long range from the bulbs up top. This can be done for around a grand. Using these lights

7" HID Offroad Light - Custom Accessories

You could do a simple route of this and get two spot and two fog beams and put all 4 on a bull bar, then do the HIR bulbs in your stock low and high beams. Also I would recommend the "diode" trick where you put a diode on the stock low and fog beam relays going to the high beam relay, this tricks the computer and keeps all the beams on. Instead of like stock where it turns all other lights off when you turn the high beams on.

Thank you for not throwing a cheap HID retrofit kit in your halogen housings!

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I disagree with most of the this, from the FJ Forums I searched through loads of non-HID bulbs to find the brightest, POLARG was easily the brighest bulb I had but wasn't street legal (J-Bulb) and PIAA was the second brighest, and the whitest non-HID I have ever used, made the FJ seem as if it had HIDS, was incredible, Sylvania is not going to even remotely compete with POLARG\PIAA in terms of brightness

·
Registered
350 Posts
I disagree with most of the this, from the FJ Forums I searched through loads of non-HID bulbs to find the brightest, POLARG was easily the brighest bulb I had but wasn't street legal (J-Bulb) and PIAA was the second brighest, and the whitest non-HID I have ever used, made the FJ seem as if it had HIDS, was incredible, Sylvania is not going to even remotely compete with POLARG\PIAA in terms of brightness
These companies are great at allusions. ANY COATING over a standard halogen bulb just REDUCES its output. People only think its brighter because of the whiter output. But in reality the lumins are reduced. I would much rather have an HID kit than these coated bulbs.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
These companies are great at allusions. ANY COATING over a standard halogen bulb just REDUCES its output. People only think its brighter because of the whiter output. But in reality the lumins are reduced. I would much rather have an HID kit than these coated bulbs.
That is really strange ?? I know from my own experience that the Silver Stars provide much better illumination on poorly lit or unlit roads. These bulbs are NOT coated with some coloring agent, They really do work much better than standard bulbs.

But then don't bother taking a users word for their performance just do a Google search for Silver Star user reviews (they are NOT company sponsored!!).

·
Registered
350 Posts
That is really strange ?? I know from my own experience that the Silver Stars provide much better illumination on poorly lit or unlit roads. These bulbs are NOT coated with some coloring agent, They really do work much better than standard bulbs.

But then don't bother taking a users word for their performance just do a Google search for Silver Star user reviews (they are NOT company sponsored!!).
From the quick reviews I did on them I found 9 1 star ratings to 2 five star ratings. Im going from both experience, and research done by consumer reports. The coating gives the bulb a whiter output giving you the allusion that the output is brighter, but in reality actually reduces usuable light. Like an 8000k HID bulb may appear brighter, but in reality a 4300k bulb has the most usuable light as its not blue its white. But its naturally white, not yellow painted white. For the price I would go with the HIR bulbs Or phillips Xtreme bulbs, Those actually have an improvement.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you frequently drive on empty roads (IE just you) Then why not add some HID spot lights to your truck...
The truck's good on lights. I have a relay in the light circuit so that the hi beams includes the low beams and the fog lights. Actually it was the Challenger that I wanted to improve the lights on.

·
Registered
350 Posts
The truck's good on lights. I have a relay in the light circuit so that the hi beams includes the low beams and the fog lights. Actually it was the Challenger that I wanted to improve the lights on.
lol then most of my advice on here is useless.

I have been thinking of changing out my stock fog housings to PIAA 510's. Much better housing projects alot more light on the road. As far as your headlights are concerned, Your options are limited being that these are dual beam headlamps (high low in the same bulb). You could put an HID kit in, but Im never a fan of these in reflector housings, but the challenger is low enough that it wont be as bad as high vehicles. Its not that hard to add the factory HIDS either.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd be interested in how that works (changing the fog lights to driving lights). I have a set of 2" driving lights on my motorcycle that are about the same size as the Challenger fog lights and they light up the world.

Might have to look at that idea when it warms up some!

·
Premium Member
1,045 Posts
I installed ONE Sylvania Silver Star in my 2007 Wrangler (driver's side). When done, the light looked more blue, but no brighter, so I never even bothered to replace the other side. I got tired of asking people which they thought was brighter. The Sylvania won about 50-60% of the time... I don't think they're any brighter, but they are more blue.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'd be interested in how that works (changing the fog lights to driving lights). I have a set of 2" driving lights on my motorcycle that are about the same size as the Challenger fog lights and they light up the world.

Might have to look at that idea when it warms up some!
I did it on my yukon and it made a world of difference. I just took out the stock housings, and bolted the piaa 510s in place (size was about the same, and they are about the same as the challengers) The difference was that the yukon had some strange bulbs that were not even 20 watts, The challenger atleast has some real bulbs. But even so I think the housings are whats holding it back. The wiring is easy also, I just cut off the stock plug, and then solder and heat shrink the new hot and ground to the hot and ground on the light housing.

·
Registered
714 Posts
They spend money to make the fogs turn off with the brights. As I recall there was some research done that said it screwed with your night vision, and anyway with the brights you shouldn't be looking "there" anyway :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts