Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im sure this has been discussed before .this is really insane, 09 R/T factory HID headlights and auto headlight. this happened a few weeks ago on xway headlights went bananas .off and on pulled over played with switch (off on ) it stopped. and my first thought was the switch so i buy a brand new one and guess what yup doing the same thing wtf. systems that are extremely important like headlights,wipers should never fail while in operation if anything if they are going to fail for whatever reason they should fail in the OPERATING mode (stay on ) not shutting down. i could heve been killed JMO. now as for the problem new switch still does it now and then. anyone who has eperienced or found a fix please chime in. also i could use a wiring schematic to see where that circuit runs through i have a starscan its no help , no codes. thanks all.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks, im loosing the whole system ,if it was a ballest it should only take out 1 headlight ,im loosing running lights to ,not sure where the relay is wondering if it even has one ???

·
Registered
629 Posts
There could/should be a circuit breaker in the system. And it sounds like one that's doing its job.
I'd start looking for where the short is.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,319 Posts
If the 2009 uses an ambient light sensor and you have the headlights set to auto that could be the problem or the multifunction switch (certain resistance values turn various lights on). I used to have a WJ that would flicker the headlights and it was a bad multifunction switch.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey CT, headlights were on manual when it happens, i did think of that. something is screwy , i really need a wiring schismatic to at least show whats between the switch and to lighting circuit.

·
Registered
586 Posts
ok im sure this has been discussed before .this is really insane, 09 R/T factory HID headlights and auto headlight. this happened a few weeks ago on xway headlights went bananas .off and on pulled over played with switch (off on ) it stopped. and my first thought was the switch so i buy a brand new one and guess what yup doing the same thing wtf. systems that are extremely important like headlights,wipers should never fail while in operation if anything if they are going to fail for whatever reason they should fail in the OPERATING mode (stay on ) not shutting down.
^That's a nice idea in principle but not really possible - for example, if you have intermittent continuity on the ground circuit, the lights will flicker...a situation you may well be dealing with.

I'd recommend checking your grounds/ground splices, inline connectors, and TIPM connections as a jumping off point.

Wiring diagrams are attached in PDF format.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey thanks enginerd for those schematics. well its defiantly not the switch ,if you remove it and start the engine the all lights come on i drove it around and still flicker its rare but never the less not right , i also discovered im only loosing headlights (factory hids) dash lights stay on as well as my running lights as far as i know really cant tell. not sure if dash lights are on the same circuit like the old days ,when you lost those you would loose running lights. its definalty the power that feeds the headlights if they are alone on that feed or they must have their own ground or both. gonna keep digging .may be the TIPM .i did unplug it and and worked the plugs on and off no affect. anyway thanks a mill for your help and taking the time !! will update when i figure it out.

·
Registered
586 Posts
No prob, wiring problems can be equally annoying & challenging(!)

I think you're on the right path given L & R headlamps use different ground locations (and the park lights use the same grounds and they're ok), so it's not likely a ground problem. Also what separates the headlamps from park lights is the power feed from the TIPM - so I like that/the TIPM wiring as a culprit. Specifically the C2 (blue) & C3 (green) TIPM connectors (or the harness that contains the headlamp driver wires).

Also didn't see a wiring difference between HID and non-HID wiring, at least no differentiation that I could find besides the notation at the end of page 3*.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i found a TIPM on ebay that matches mine ,wow the part number for mine only fits 09-10 ,charger ,challenger ,300. hard to find ,but snagged one for $50 shipped .out of a 2010 chally . i figured it was cheap enough to just through it in rather then start poking around in 98 deg temps and dew points in the 70's .yea the heat is on up here in boston . cant do much outside and the bugs at night wow they must be blowing in from FL LMAO ! .. anyway at least i can rule out the TIPM if it dosent fix it and headlight switch . i can always resell it ,its pretty rare and i could get more money for it lol.
BTW found a great link for all dodge pinouts ,its got everything .i found every pin on every connector that has to do with the headlights . here it is . ill pm you in case you dont read this.
http://connectors.dcctools.com/results.htm

·
Registered
149 Posts
One of our cars has LED headlights that track as you corner. I wonder if Dodge will go to them soon.

·
Registered
629 Posts
One of our cars has LED headlights that track as you corner. I wonder if Dodge will go to them soon.
As soon as Rolls Royce's patent from the '30's expire. Wait, that should've already happened. Never mind.
No wonder that Citroen used that high tech approach in the late '50s. No, wait, that wouldn't be high tech anymore.

Anyway, with a Challenger you should be able to give it enough gas to keep the headlights pointing to where you're going, as long as the traction control is off.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As soon as Rolls Royce's patent from the '30's expire. Wait, that should've already happened. Never mind.
No wonder that Citroen used that high tech approach in the late '50s. No, wait, that wouldn't be high tech anymore.

Anyway, with a Challenger you should be able to give it enough gas to keep the headlights pointing to where you're going, as long as the traction control is off.
well i found a TIPM on ebay that matches mine ,wow the part number for mine only fits 09-10 ,charger ,challenger ,300. hard to find ,but snagged one for $50 shipped .out of a 2010 chally . i figured it was cheap enough to just through it in rather then start poking around in 98 deg temps and dew points in the 70's .yea the heat is on up here in boston . cant do much outside and the bugs at night wow they must be blowing in from FL LMAO ! .. anyway at least i can rule out the TIPM if it dosent fix it and headlight switch . i can always resell it ,its pretty rare and i could get more money for it lol.
BTW found a great link for all dodge pinouts ,its got everything .i found every pin on every connector that has to do with the headlights . here it is . ill pm you in case you dont read this.
http://connectors.dcctools.com/results.htm
figured out my headlight dilemma ,haha , that new tipm came in and the idiots sent the wrong one. so sent it back. decided to park myself in front of my car the other night with my buddy watching my headlights . i set my phone to record them while on. and yup it flickered .it was a split second and low and behold it was only 1 (drivers side) saw it on the video. this baffeled me at first .i thought both were going off it was so fast ,these hids really through alot of light and because it was the drivers side it looked like both.
so i just swapped the bulbs and and watched again and guess what now the passengers side flickered . so turns out it was 1 bad bulb.
4 years ago i replaced these D1S bulbs with upgraded genuine osram 66144CBI bulbs form hid concepts . . paid 200 for both ,and the guy assured me they were not fakes and he gets them directly from germany . im surprised one is acting up. i just found a used one on ebay for 35 ,i needed a used one to color match. hope it does.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts