Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 2014 R/T M6 with less that 1,500 miles that I bought Labor Day weekend. I drive the car everyday and noticed when stopped with the motor running and headlights on that if I turn the steering wheel from side to side the lights flicker a bit (like a bad ground). Does anyone know if there is some electrical connection between steering and lights etc....? Car performs fine except for this flicker thing...:scratchhead:

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
As crazy as it sounds its pretty normal my 2012 does it you can search there have been some other post on it as well. Also will do it when you press the window switches. But they said it has something to do amps i think.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow... At first I thought it was one of the parking lot lights at work that was flickering. I get in really early while its still dark and noticed when I pulled into my usual spot that the lights flickered. I've finally realized that it's actually my car's headlights doing the flickering. I never noticed at home because whenever I come home when it's dark the outside garage lights are on. Didn't notice in traffic because its pretty well lighted on the main drag and the access road onto the Base. Not sure if the taillights flicker but wouldn't doubt it..... Didn't notice if the dash lights do it either. I had 2007 Grand Cherokee until recently but it never had the issue so not sure if its only a Dodge thing or all of Chrysler. :surprise:

·
Premium Member
7,291 Posts
My 2009 does it too. I never worried about it since the charging voltage is always good when I check it.

·
Premium Member
2,981 Posts
OP - I believe you have electric assist power steering which causes the flicker when you turn the wheel. It seems the electrical system on new vehicles has been cut to the bare minimum to save $, weight and gas. This is not just a Chrysler issue.

The ground cables and battery had to be upgraded on a recall for my 09 Challenger, apparently they went just a little too far in cost cutting....

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the feedback folks...... I'll mention it to the dealer when I go in for the first oil change. I normally do all my own oil changes but I've heard horror stories of the "welded on" oil filters from the factory and don't want to be doing the "screwdriver through the filter" thing in my home garage..... I also can't believe they don't put fully synthetic oil in from the factory except on the SRTs. Talk about cost cutting measures !! :|

·
Registered
758 Posts
perhaps not... but they do put in 8 Additional Gallons of Gas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts