Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i brake i notice my headlights getting brighter.

Is there a reason for this? should i be worried?

its not alot brighter but noticeable and nagging. im not even at 1000 miles yet.

is this common?

also my Low Tire Pressure light came on. i know coldweather can affect this...should i add air? or just ignore it?

·
Premium Member
3,553 Posts
For the tires I'ld keep them inflated but don't be alarmed if it takes a few miles clear the indications, Mine does. I don't usually drive mine at night so I don't know if the lights change with the brakes on.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
The flickering lights are a common problem. If you go to Dodge about it, they'll tell you either that they have never heard of it, or that it's completely normal.
The battery/cable recall (covers the 09s only, IIRC) will have no effect on it.
Don't worry about it. It won't hurt anything or get any worse.

Bottom line... The voltage is fluctuating.
I did find that my portable Garmin GPS locked up tighter than Dick's hatband, when I was using it in the Challenger. Had to do a hard reset to clear it. I took it back and got a replacement that works fine in another car. Haven't tried that one in the Challenger, yet.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I've got sequentail tail lights, but the only time I really notice the headlights get brighter is after I stop and the rpms jump up a couple hundred r's. Was told that is normal, by more than 1 person. After you come to a complete stop, the rpms jump up to about 750, from about 500

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nope, shes dead stock...too cold to do any mods. havent even made my first payement yet....maybe in the summer i'll do an air intake or roll bars.

i should try the full on headlight mode vs the auto mode and see if that makes a difference. should also check if it does when the highs are on as well.

·
Registered
741 Posts
nope, shes dead stock...too cold to do any mods. havent even made my first payement yet....maybe in the summer i'll do an air intake or roll bars.

i should try the full on headlight mode vs the auto mode and see if that makes a difference. should also check if it does when the highs are on as well.
i mentioned the sequentials because after i installed mine i notice whenever i hit the brake my lights will dim for a brief instant.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
Its normal with seqential tails. They pull twice the voltage than normal.

·
Registered
2010 SRT8
1,832 Posts
I have the problem with my SE with sequentials but not with our SRT with sequentials. I was wondering if it is because the SE has 730 amp battery and SRT has 750 amp battery?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
My 2010 R/T six speed does it. I stopped worrying about it.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
My 2010 R/T does it also

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
beg to differ, mine didnt do it until the sequential install.
i dont drive it that much so it doesnt really bother me
Do a simple test. Drive at moderate speed on a dark road and depress
your clutch or shift into neutral. See if your lights don't flucuate. Since
you haven't touched the brakes, the sequentials cannot be a factor.
It happens when the engine speed changes rapidly. The voltage regulator
doesn't react quickly enough and 'searches' for the correct voltage.

This is a common problem on 27F six-speed cars, the ones without
HID headlights. The HID headlight cars do not seem to have this effect.
Nor do most automatics, since the RPM's don't drop as fast when decelerating.

We've all experienced it long before installing our sequential taillights.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts