Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I need some advise/help with this topic. I have a R/T with the yellow-ish stock headlights and the fog lights. I really know almost nothing when it comes to headlights. Things like (HID, HALO, LED) I don't really know what they mean. Bottom line is that I want to get some aftermarket lights. I don't really like when some aftermarket lights look blue, I want it white. My friend has a new SS Camaro, and those lights look really cool. They are white, and they have a ring around them. Another factor is that I don't want them being that bright, just so that they look cool. So if anyone could point me into the right direction where I can find a pair of white, not that bright lights that have that ring. I also want to change the fog lights so they match. Thanks a lot!

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
The white rings are halos and to accomplish that the whole front bumper has to be removed and the light cases opened installed and resealed. As far as color 6000 bulb is white a 3500 is more yellow and the blue you're talking about is up around 10-12000k. The blue is for mostly looks and doesn't light your way very well.
HID lights use a ballast to create the energy to light and keep lit special bulbs which are very bright and a conversion at times blinds other drivers due to them not being projectors as y pure using the stock reflectors. Look up DDM Tuning and they describe it all there.

·
Super Moderator
15,379 Posts
Odds are from what you've described you have the standard halogen (incandescent) headlights.

The HID (aka Xenon) headlights are optional on R/T models, std. on R/T Classics ('12 onward) and SRT models (except n/a - Core).

The brightest (and most longevity) I've found from experience are PIAA Extreme White Plus - the Challenger uses an H13 bulb. And they are blue, but a brilliant white...and brighter than standard halogen bulbs.
[4000*k vs. 3200*k] HIDs run 4300*k for reference.

Here's examples of a halogen housing (vertical lines in reflector) vs. the HID (has the projector lens and smooth reflector) and a close up of the HID housing.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. So is there any unit that comes assembled with the "halo" already installed and has the white lights that I can buy? Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
In the good old USA if you have the cash they make everything you need, lol The answer is yes but not sure who the sellers are but you can check on ebay. Would you pull the nose off yourself or have a body shop do it?

·
Registered
304 Posts
If one has the plain ol' halogen headlights, one inexpensive method of greatly improving the looks is to enable the daytime running lights. It doesn't make a difference at night I guess, but it sure looks better in the day.

I mention halogen, as some folks were having troubles getting the DRL activated with HID lights. I don't know if there is an issue there or not, but I like the looks of the DRL and would not go HID if it prevented them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts