Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be nice to start an open discussion regarding heads/cam and their ability in different applications and scenarios. This is open for any vendor to reply to.

In my experience, manual tranny cars dyno between 5-10rwhp more than automatics. This is consistent with 5.7's and 6.1's.

The next debated myth is longtube headers, do they add anything?

The graph below illustrates the same combo both before and after with the only addition being the longtube headers.

468rwhp/425rwtq without headers
475rwhp/450rwtq with headers

Its safe to say that longtubes only add about 5-10rwhp at peak. This is true, but they gain a large amount of power below peak and they shift the power curve to the left a couple hundred rpm.

Here is another car with the exact same combo as above but in a Challenger instead of a charger and its on a different dyno. Im not exactly sure the differences in the catback exhaust or the cai, but Im sure they are minimal.

Here is another without longtubes. 450rwhp/425rwtq

So on average, a nice heads/cam combo without longtubes should make the following on average.
460rwhp/425rwtq

The same combo with longtubes should make the following on average.
470rwhp/445rwtq

So even though longtubes are only worth 10rwhp at their peak rpm, they pick up 20rwtq at peak and gobs of low rpm hp/tq.

That same combo above was used in the following cars and both of these cars hold records in their respective class.

Fastest NA 6.1 Challenger and Fastest NA 6.1 Jeep both run this combo and both were achieved by removing the front and rear seats only. Figure a maximum of 150lbs removed.

This thread is not a PWR thread and I welcome any and all debate regarding the info I have posted above, lets just keep it civil.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
so what your saying is your head and cam package makes 30 to 40 rwhp less than HHP's head and cam package consistently

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see 470rwhp/450rwtq from ours. Where is HHP's 500rwhp from heads/cam. In fact, in his last thread it was almost identical.

Also, if they made 30-40rwhp more, why do we own the JK and LC record and not him? He has been in business longer than us.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
I thought it would be nice to start an open discussion regarding heads/cam and their ability in different applications and scenarios. This is open for any vendor to reply to.

In my experience, manual tranny cars dyno between 5-10rwhp more than automatics. This is consistent with 5.7's and 6.1's.

The next debated myth is longtube headers, do they add anything?

The graph below illustrates the same combo both before and after with the only addition being the longtube headers.

468rwhp/425rwtq without headers
475rwhp/450rwtq with headers

Its safe to say that longtubes only add about 5-10rwhp at peak. This is true, but they gain a large amount of power below peak and they shift the power curve to the left a couple hundred rpm.

Here is another car with the exact same combo as above but in a Challenger instead of a charger and its on a different dyno. Im not exactly sure the differences in the catback exhaust or the cai, but Im sure they are minimal.

Here is another without longtubes. 450rwhp/425rwtq

So on average, a nice heads/cam combo without longtubes should make the following on average.
460rwhp/425rwtq

The same combo with longtubes should make the following on average.
470rwhp/445rwtq

So even though longtubes are only worth 10rwhp at their peak rpm, they pick up 20rwtq at peak and gobs of low rpm hp/tq.

That same combo above was used in the following cars and both of these cars hold records in their respective class.

Fastest NA 6.1 Challenger and Fastest NA 6.1 Jeep both run this combo and both were achieved by removing the front and rear seats only. Figure a maximum of 150lbs removed.

This thread is not a PWR thread and I welcome any and all debate regarding the info I have posted above, lets just keep it civil.
are doing your own tuning now?

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
I see 470rwhp/450rwtq from ours. Where is HHP's 500rwhp from heads/cam. In fact, in his last thread it was almost identical.

Also, if they made 30-40rwhp more, why do we own the JK and LC record and not him? He has been in business longer than us.
i thought buddaboy had the fasted head and cam car

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He does, its a screaming fast car, but its also just as stripped as justins car and I know you have seen that.

Not taking anything away from Jeff, he shipped his car to Atco and destroyed every heads/cam car there but lets not forget that he is down to 3500lbs.

Fastest LX: Budoboy
Fastest LC: TVRob
Fastest JK: Mondo

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
He does, its a screaming fast car, but its also just as stripped as justins car and I know you have seen that.

Not taking anything away from Jeff, he shipped his car to Atco and destroyed every heads/cam car there but lets not forget that he is down to 3500lbs.

Fastest LX: Budoboy
Fastest LC: TVRob
Fastest JK: Mondo
what else does tvrob's car have besides no seats and head and cam?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
this is not meant to be an HHP vs PWR thread and it is slowly heading that direction.

This is to discuss dyno findings with differing mods such as longtubes, underdrives, tb's etc.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts

·
Banned
804 Posts
Timeslip and MPH are the only thing that should be compared unless both before and after dynos are available.....and ONLY to measure gains....not show peak #'s cause there aint a dyno out there that will be the same as another.

Andy and I disagree on this all the time but I had to throw it out there:D

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No I agree which is why I didnt bother posting the 480rwhp dyno or the 500rwhp dyno. MPH is all that matters to determine hp. MPH and weight that is and I think you will agree that weight plays a huge role.

·
Banned
804 Posts
No I agree which is why I didnt bother posting the 480rwhp dyno or the 500rwhp dyno. MPH is all that matters to determine hp. MPH and weight that is and I think you will agree that weight plays a huge role.
No argument here. I think weight should be disclosed everytime someone posts a stupid fast slip because there are some sneaky bastages out there.

·
Premium Member
4,384 Posts
but there are several cars running faster than that with heads a cam, like Mao's car DVSSRT8 in cali who runs 11.0
the lx is heavery than the lc and they have no seprate class for lx/lc yet so to say you own that it's caca, since that class don't exisit.
but yes that dudes car tvrob is haulin as$ no doubt

1 - 20 of 51 Posts